Question

Dropouts on Orbi

• 22 December 2017
  • 30 replies

Badge
I have been trying to get my Sonos setup (2 play 5 gen1, playbar, 3 play 1) working. Can I get some info from the diagnostic?

Diagnostic 8255819

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What problem are you having? New or existing system?
Badge
Existing, still trying to get reliable.

Standard setup, but have tried boost setup with both a bridge and direct wiring. Have tried channels 1, 6, and 11. Sometimes we start having issues streaming from Spotify or from our phones. Sometimes we lose individual speakers. Trying to get an idea from the diagnostics what might be going on so I can consider how to proceed. Not sure if one speaker is cascading a problem or what.

Thanks in advance for any help. Have family coming over for the holidays and would hate to not have music playing when they are here!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There is no difference between using bridge and hooking one speaker to router (speaker becomes bridge)

I would hook one unit to router. Pick 1 6 or 11 channels. Sonos on one and home home router on another of the two

Then do a diagnostic for Sonos to review all (settings advanced.). Post number here for them to review
Badge
Thanks Chris. I will give that a try. That said, I have tried the 2.4ghz WiFi on the router on those channels and no luck. Nothing else on the network is using that frequency. The rest of the network is either directly wired or on 5ghz. Any info from the diagnostic would be helpful in solving the problem though.

Diagnostic #8255819
Badge
I am trying the specific configuration you describe with a Play 1 directly connected to the primary router, SonosNet on channel 1 and 2.4Ghz WiFi on channel 6. If I have any dropouts I will submit a diagnostic and report back.

Fingers crossed and thank you again!
Badge
Unfortunately after a couple of successful albums played from an iPhone, we started having problems again. Tracks not playing and then skipping through tracks in queue before starting back.

New diagnostic number 8259188

Really would love to know what it says in there. Trying to stream from Spotify now to see if it is only streaming from phones with the current setup, but the behavior seems unchanged so I am not optimistic.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
sonos should see the diagnostic and report back here.

What are you playing when it drops out. What service? Through Sonos app or another app? Playing songs residing on phone?
Badge
Most recently playing holiday music through the Sonos app from tracks on the phone. Previously have had the same problem playing from Spotify, always through the Sonos app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Tracks playing that reside on your phone are very reliant on the connection between your phone and router. If your phone drops signal in any way your going to have dropouts. Playing songs residing on phone is never a very reliable method (same way Bluetooth is not a reliable way to play to a system).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Example with Sonosnet as you currently have setup:

You play a song that resides on your phone. The phone transmits the song via your home wifi .... to the router.... then out to the primary sonos speaker ... which then transmits it out to all Sonos speakers. If your phone drops signal in any way the transmission from the phone will interrupt and you'll get a breakup in your music.

You play a song from Spotify. The Sonos app tells the Sonos speaker to request the song from Spotify. Spotify streams it direct via Ethernet to your Sonos speaker ... which then transmits out to all Sonos speakers. If you turn off your phone or it loses wireless signal - it won't effect the music as the music is coming direct over the internet.

Playing songs that reside on your phone adds a wireless hop on your home wifi from the phone to your router. You should try and avoid that - it takes away many of the Sonos advantages in not being reliant on the controller. If your phone drops signal, turns off etc. the music will stop.

For me I keep all my owned songs on my NAS server attached to router. Therefore I can play those from Sonos app without having to transmit them from the phone.
Badge
Thanks for all your feedback on my issue Chris! I am certainly suspicious of playing from the phone as being a contributing factor. That said, we have had issues streaming through the Sonos app from Spotify that exhibit the same behavior. We shall see if that persists into the setup you recommended.

We shall see how long it takes Sonos to take a peek at the submitted diagnostics. Hopefully thet will provide some clarification and direction.
Userlevel 2
Badge
anXofY - You mentioned wiring a Play:1 to your Primary router. Do you have another router? How’s your network set up?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yea see if you have any troubles from Spotify etc. with the new setup. I can't rule out you never having trouble direct from phone.

I have an Orbi system. I have a Play:3 connected to my primary Orbi making the initial connection. I have about 12 other Sonos units around the house all working off Sonosnet then.

I do not have any dropout issues.
Badge
Thanks again for the continued engagement on my problem Chris and welcome to the party Jabba. I very much appreciate all the help. When I mentioned primary router, i was speaking of the main router on an orbi system as opposed to the satellite.

The network is configured as follows:
Fiber to house hooked to AT&T modem with WiFi disabled.
Cat5 to orbi primary router in router mode. 2.4Ghz on channel 6
5Ghz on automatic configuration
Cat5 to Play1 SonosNet on channel 1

So far no dropouts play Spotify from the Sonos app. We will be soaking all day to see what happens.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I guess my initial thought was that you had ended up with two WiFi’s. The fact that you’ve disabled WiFi on your AT&T device has answered my question - thanks
Badge
I guess my initial thought was that you had ended up with two WiFi’s. The fact that you’ve disabled WiFi on your AT&T device has answered my question - thanks

I thought that is where you might have been heading. Thanks for checking on that though, I wish that had been the issue. So far so good streaming from Spotify after setting the Sonosnet to 1 and the WiFi to 6. That said, the issues streaming podcasts from the phone are a real problem given how often we do that around here.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I found this:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-and-netgear-orbi-6787305

Is this worth a try if you continue to have any issues? (Chris will know better than me)

In this case, looks like you’d need to re-enable WiFi on your AT&T device and then set the Orbi to Bridge/AP mode.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
How are you streaming podcasts. Downloading them as files to phone and playing from on my iPhone?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Janna. It appears he isn’t using the att for any router functions so the issues in thread shouldn’t apply. That persons issues weren’t the Orbi but fact he was mixing between two networks.
Badge
How are you streaming podcasts. Downloading them as files to phone and playing from on my iPhone?

Downloading via podcast app to the phone and playing from the Sonos app. Issue is the same when playing music also downloaded to the phone. At this point I suspect the problem may be how robust the app’s support is for network stability when playing from the phone although we are not experiencing any issues doing anything else on the network. That said most streams are buffered to handle small drops and it is possible that the Sonos app doesn’t do a very good job in that regard (shrug).

Would be super helpful if anyone from Sonos could take a peek at the diagnostics to steer us in a direction at this point. Feels like we all would benefit from any information it might contain to isolate the problem to the phone or a speaker.
Badge
Janna. It appears he isn’t using the att for any router functions so the issues in thread shouldn’t apply. That persons issues weren’t the Orbi but fact he was mixing between two networks.

Agreed on this analysis. We are not using any function on the AT&T router besides provinding the internet connnection to the wired connections. We do not have VoIP or television services and that router couldn’t provide a good connection to the whole house, hence the orbi.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm surprised no one from Sonos has jumped on here yet - they are all around here on board today.

Have you ever thought of downloading to a desktop / laptop in your home to a folder that you can then access via the controller. May provide a more stable connection vs. a phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
My Orbi + 1 satellite does a great job covering both sides and all floors of my house. Much better then my single point router I had before.

I also like having the direct Ethernet connections on the satellite as the closet it is in I then have my NAS box attached and Arlo Security Camera Hub.
Badge
I'm surprised no one from Sonos has jumped on here yet - they are all around here on board today.

Have you ever thought of downloading to a desktop / laptop in your home to a folder that you can then access via the controller. May provide a more stable connection vs. a phone.

I figure they are pretty swamped being the holiday, but t would be nice to just have someone peek it!

Downloading it an option, but a headache. Both my wife and I have different things we listen to and they are already on our phones. In short, it feels like a workaround for a low-quality implementation. Should be possible to buffer somewhere to handle minor drops but that is just my software engineer brain talking there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there anXofY. Thanks for posting and a big thank you to everyone helping out and joining the topic. Looking through the error logs, I can see that Sonos is unable to reach your mobile device fast enough sometimes taking 2-3 retries. It seems you have everything grouped to the Kitchen player. This makes the Kitchen player the "Group Coordinator", and is in charge of giving and receiving commands to and for the group. At the time of the diagnostic report being run, that player was consistently under a significant amount of physical electronic interference. If this player is indeed in the Kitchen, it's likely near a large electrical appliance of some sort and will need to be physically moved to ensure a strong connection when broadcasting to the entire Sonos system. When grouping the whole house, my recommendation is to make the wired player the Group Coordinator. In your case that would be grouping from the Office player.

Try grouping from the Office and then stream your podcast. Afterwards, submit a diagnostic report and I'll be happy to take a look.

Thanks!