Question

Dropouts on CONNECT when grouped with other players

• 1 December 2017
  • 5 replies

Hi all,

I have an annoying problem which happens when I have my CONNECT grouped with other players. The CONNECT will occasionally drop out the sound for about a second and then return. Sometimes it will do this, say, once per minute, sometimes much more frequently.

What's odd is that this player is connected directly to my ethernet switch (unmanaged) and the problem occurs even if grouped with another player (a Play 3 previously, now Play 5) directly connected to the same switch.

All other player groupings (including wirelessly connected ones) work perfectly, so I'm at a bit of a loss to work out why this wired player experiences these dropouts. (Note it's only ever the CONNECT, not whatever other player(s) is grouped with it). This occurs regardless of whether the source is local (NAS on same ethernet switch) or an internet stream (Apple Music) so I don't think it's a problem with the player fetching the audio data in good time.

Other observations :

* Ping times from the CONNECT to wired players are well under 0.5ms
* When the CONNECT is playing on it's own it's completely stable

Everything else in the Sonos system (Play 1, Play 3, Play 5, Playbase/sub/pair of Ones) works perfectly, so I'd really like get this sorted.

Help from support team appreciated.

Diagnostics : 8158010

Cheers
Mark

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Badge +1
Hi Mark, thanks for reaching out. Is the PLAYBASE connected to the switch as well? I'd try some basic troubleshooting like rebooting the router and the switch if you haven't already tried that.

I'm not seeing anything jump out in the diagnostic though playback was stopped when it was submitted. Would you mind recreating the issue then submitting another?
Hi Ben,

Thanks for your reply. I've had this problem for a long time and have had plenty reboots of the switch and router since then but to no avail. (The Playbar is on ethernet but connected to the switch via powerline networking rather than direct)

I reproduced the issue during this diagnostic gathering session : 8163094. This was a grouping of Kitchen (Play 5) and Lounge (CONNECT) (both on ethernet to the same switch)

Interesting observation : if I start the playing on the Kitchen and then add the Lounge, the problem happens on the Lounge almost immediately. If however I start the stream on Lounge and then add Kitchen there are no dropouts (well none during the 10 minutes or so I checked, whereas the other way round the first dropouts happen within a few seconds)

Hope this helps
Thanks
Mark
Just to confirm : Starting playing on Play 5 then adding CONNECT = dropouts. Start playing on CONNECT then add Play 5 = completely dropout free for the last hour.
Hi Ben - are you still there? 😃 Would appreciate you taking a look at the updated diagnostics.
Cheers
Mark
Badge +1
Hi Mark, yes I'm still here, sorry for the late response. It's definitely an odd issue and I'm not seeing anything jumping out in the diagnostic.

At this point, I'd suggest that you give us a call on our support line when you are in front of your system to troubleshoot the issue further.