Question

Dropouts

• 23 July 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 15 replies

Hi. I was having a dialogue with Twitter support regarding dropouts, but it seems Twitter support is no longer. Your support pages don’t list any contact information for Australia, so I guess this is the place. 

Since then, we have installed a Boost, which improved matters considerably. The Boost is in an area of a cafe where the wireless speakers are, and is connected via Ethernet. The Connect, which powers the ceiling speakers, is in a commercial kitchen area. We have been running fine for a few days, but today had a dropout for about 20 seconds. Thought I’d send a diagnostic to see if there’s anything obvious. This is a very hostile wireless environment, but any tips would be good. 1413116740. Thanks.

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @sdd.

Thanks for reaching out and for your effort in submitting the diagnostic.

Upon checking, the system detected multiple errors that usually leads to audio interruptions.

It is very important to correctly determine the cause of the audio interruptions, as there are many potential causes like wireless interference.

The above article provides common fixes on how to reduce wireless interference around Sonos products.

If that doesn’t help, try to reproduce the issue, and while it’s happening please submit a new diagnostic report.

I'd be glad to review your system further and see if there’s anything else causing this issue.

If you have any other questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out.

Badge

I was hoping you'd be able to give some recommendations based on that diagnostic, which was taken just after the dropout fixed itself. Is there nothing you can tell from that?

While I’m here, what support options are available for Australia. You support page shows no options at all, email or phone.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @sdd.

Thanks for the response.

When issues like this spring up, the more information we can gather will help us determine and resolve the potential source of the issue.

Most often, audio issues like dropouts are caused by wireless interference, due to possible wireless congestion, and the above articles provide the steps for common fixes.

I suggest, and it’s always worth a try to  change your Sonos system’s wireless channel using the Sonos app, here’s how:

Settings > System > Network > SonosNet Channel 

It must be set at least 5 channels away from your routerchannel. 

If you set the primary router to WiFi Channel 6, then set SonosNet to either Channel 1 or 11.

Wait for 3 minutes, get a new diagnostic, and provide us the confirmation number so I can see if the interference was reduced.

Alternatively, you may contact phone support to take a closer look at your system in real-time.

They also have more resources available to perform more advanced troubleshooting if needed.

The toll-free contact number is 1-800-680-2345

Their hours of operations are Mon-Fri 10:00 AM - 9:00 PM EST.

If you have any other questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out.

Badge

I have tried as much as possible to spread the wifi channels. But there are lots of other networks nearby. Can you tell from the diagnostic I have already sent that the dropout was caused by Wi-Fi interference?If so, can you recommend a better Sonos channel?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @sdd.

Thank you for your reply.

Submitting a diagnostic provides us with a snapshot of your system, that’s why it’s best to get it while the issue exists.

It will also help us identify if the recommended fixes somewhat made any improvements or not, to ensure that the next step will be applicable.

We cannot rely on the initial diagnostic only since there are changes that tend to happen on your system from time to time.

For example, it shows on the said diagnostic that your system is on channel 11, and it appears that it is the same channel the router is also using, even if it is one of the possible cause,

we still cannot justify that it is causing the interference until we see the result of the tests and the steps provided.

Generally, channels (1,6,11) are the best non-overlapping channels not only for Sonos but also for routers.

Keep in mind, it's important to check a couple of things on your local system to see if you are actually running into trouble somewhere else.

If you have trouble with local music or another service as well, for instance, you may just have some wireless interference or network latency to sort out.

Hence, there are many potential causes of an audio interruption aside from wireless interference, it could be a gateway issue, source issue, service issue, etc.

If the suggestions I provided on the above posts don’t help, it would be best resolved on the phone as we can perform more advanced troubleshooting in real-time.

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, we are always here to help.

Badge

OK - if you are not able to recommend a better channel to try (there is not just our own router to contend with, but probably 6 or 8 others in the area), we’ll try to get a diagnostic while the dropout is happening and go from there.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @sdd.

Thanks for the response.

We're happy to help, but if you will need a quick answer you can always give us a call on our support line.

They have more resources available for in-depth troubleshooting in real-time.

Thanks!