Drop outs and lost connection when using Spotify through the Sonos App

Spotify keeps dropping out when playing through the Sonos App. I keep getting the error message "the connection to Spotify was lost". I've been using this set up (2 play 1's stereo) for a few months now and have never hand a single problem or drop out or lost connection. I haven't changed anything to my set up and now its basically unusable. After doing a number of full power cycles to all components including modem and bridge the problem is still occurring. When I play music from my iTunes library through the sonos app the system works fine. Please help! This set up has been perfect up until now any advice would be much appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

105 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hello Joe,

Could you please submit a diagnostic within 15 minutes after the drop out occurred and reply with the confirmation number?

Thanks,
Moritz.
Hi, this is happening to me too... was there any resolution available as yet? I thought the problem was due to the distance from my Play 1 to the bridge, so I bought a BOOST but the problem is still there. My internet is rock-solid, as is playing music from my NAS onto the SONOS system. Thanks for any advice!
This problem just started occurring for me too. Any resolution?
Same here...been happening for about a week now.  
Just started happening to me this week, plays about 15 seconds or so and then drops, hit play again and same thing happens.
Userlevel 2
This is happening to me too. What I need to do to fix it is to reauthorise my spotify account... I don't have to do this with Pandora via SONOS so it appears to be a spotify account setting specific issue.
I am also having this problem.  I'm about to return all my sonos products!  Spotify is the only thing I ever use on sonos! 
I too am having this issue. We rebooted the entire system, including the bridge and router, removed the Spotify account from Sonos, reinstalled it, and still having the same issue. This has only happened since Sonos required an App upgrade. To note on the app upgrade, the user interface is highly inferior to the old version. Having a hard time adjusting to it. Would appreciate if CS from Sonos responded. Thanks.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Same problems. I also tried to submit a diagnostic, as requested by Moritz and I got an error: "Your diagnostic information could not be sent at this time."  LOL

Been getting steady errors over the last two days, completely out of the blue. Not just Spotify but also Pandora, TuneIn and Stitcher.
Hello Joe,

Could you please submit a diagnostic within 15 minutes after the drop out occurred and reply with the confirmation number?

Thanks,
Moritz.

Moritz, why are you not responding??? Even if you guys don't have an answer and are still working on the issue- let us know!!!
Same problem for the past several days. Spotify is not working. At times, some tracks via Spotify will play for 10-20 seconds, then suddenly cut out, always with the same error message - "Unable to play ... - connection to Spotify was lost."

I reauthorized my Spotify account and tried adding another account and neither action has helped. Can we please get a response from Sonos?!? 
Same problem for the past week, for no discernible reason. Spotify only. Any solutions?
Same problem since yesterday. What is the fix?
Yes this is happening to me also. It seems like it started occurring after a recent update. Very annoying! Please get us a fix soon!
Mine was fixed by completely deleting Spotify from my Sonos list of music services. Then I added it back to the list. This fix was suggested by Sonos and did work.
I ran into this problem starting on Sunday Jan 25th. I've been using Spotify on Sonos for a year without any problem and all of sudden I'm getting that same error all the time about losing the connection.  I've deleted Spotify from my list of Sonos services and re-added it and still have the issue.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hello,

at the moment we are still investigating an issue where problems with Spotify may occur when added via the Facebook authentication. In the meantime we kindly ask to add Spotify via the Spotify device ID instead of the Facebook authentication. 

Please have a look here for more information:
http://blog.sonos.com/music-on-sonos/how-to-retrieve-your-spotify-device-credentials/

Thanks, Moritz.
Hey Moritz, thanks so much for the quick reply.  I work at FB so I like using my FB details for my login.  I was able to rectify the situation last night and am posting here in case it helps anyone else.  I kept losing the connection between Sonos and Spotify but then I noticed that even when I used Spotify straight up, it was pausing playback saying I was accessing from another machine.  I checked all my phones, ipads, computers and nothing was actually using Spotify, at least not that I own.  So I first removed the  Spotify service from my iPhone and then decided to change my FB password (basically a pw reset via FB).  During this reset FB presented the option to log out of FB on all my devices which I selected.  Interestingly enough before I could log back into all FB connected apps, I was promoted by iPhone to upgrade to 8.1.3, which I did thinking that that might be the problem.  No issue with the upgrade.  Logged back into FB app and Messenger on my iPhone, then re-added the Spotify service within Sonos and no issues.  Psyched to be back online with everything working.  Hope this helps for others!
Userlevel 2
I was having this problem . I decided to change the wireless channel that sonos uses (in the desktop controller app for sonos) from 11 to 6 . Since I did that no dropouts . I also checked My router and it also uses channel 6 . Not sure if that is in any way relevant . Anyway , happy days, it works again .
I am having the same issue, I cannot play any song from Spotify... 5123888
Userlevel 2
I had the same issue with Spotify dropping. These actions did not work - changing wireless channels, deleting and adding back Spotify, logging into Spotify on computer to force log out of all devices, changing Spotify password. What did work is cancelling my Spotify account and opening a new one under a different email. No problem since doing that. My best guess is that Spotify was generating false readings on the number of devices in use for my previous Spotify account and blocking their service to me through Sonos.
Sonos have you tried rolling back your update because this is becomming rediculous
Same question happened. any solutions?
Same issue over here. Spotify works fine on its own and starts to play through the Sonos app but no sound comes out of the speakers and I receive an error message about a lost connection after 8 seconds. Tried removing service, clearing queue, unplugging router, plugging back in, re-adding service, and still no luck. Diagnostic report just sent (#6913582)

Would love to have a fix so we can play our Christmas playlists through Sonos!
Same issue here. Merry Christmas to us.

If I use Deezer i have no problem at all. Very frustrating.