Answered

DrayTek 2766VAC

• 5 April 2022
  • 9 replies

I appreciate that I will not get official support, as I have successfully and reliably used TP-Link AV600s for a number of years.

However, it would be useful to know if there is any special trick in using Draytek routers (in particular the 2766VAC) with Sonos, as so far I’m not having much luck at all. All of the symptoms (units not appearing and/or disappearing, inability to browse to the music, failure to load music into the queue etc) appear to be network related. I’ve tried all the usual things (full reboot, binding the IP addresses, multiple attempts following the prompts on the devices) but it still doesn’t work. I’ve twice switched back to the TP-Link router, and it all works perfectly again.

I can’t find any setting on the Dray Tek that looks relevant, and have initiated a ticket via email to them, but I suspect that they’ll simply come back and say that - as everything else is working perfectly via the AV600s - that it’s a Sonos issue rather than a Dray Tek one. I’m not convinced about this as when I use the AV600 utility to look at the plugs, it doesn’t work properly with the Draytek. 

icon

Best answer by amun 6 April 2022, 15:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

I’d suspect a multicast/broadcast problem, since the EoP utility is also being affected.

@amun,

Is there perhaps an option to enable IGMP in the Draytek router settings? - see this link from their website:

https://www.draytek.co.uk/information/our-technology/igmp-and-multicast

I’d suspect a multicast/broadcast problem, since the EoP utility is also being affected.

Thanks - I’ll investigate...

@amun,

Is there perhaps an option to enable IGMP in the Draytek router settings? - see this link from their website:

https://www.draytek.co.uk/information/our-technology/igmp-and-multicast

Yes, there is - I found an article suggesting that some Dray Tek routers had a problem, solution to be switching upnp off and IGMP on - but that didn’t seem to make any difference.

The TP-Link router has IGMP snooping switched on.

Sorry - I’m not clear - does Sonos require multicasting?

Yes, my understanding is that the Sonos controllers use SSDP for discovery of all devices, multicasting via UDP to 239.255.255.250:1900 and broadcasting to 255.255.255.255:1900.

Then afterwards communication is unicast.

At least those are the details I’ve seen mentioned here in the community by @ratty and others. The IGMP protocol therefore needs to be enabled on the router - I have seen Staff sometimes mention to leave UPnP turned on, but I’m of the opinion that has some security issues, so I leave that switched off on my router too. I’ve also seen @ratty and others say that it’s not needed.

Yes, my understanding is that the Sonos controllers use SSDP for discovery of all devices, multicasting via UDP to 239.255.255.250:1900 and broadcasting to 255.255.255.255:1900.

Then afterwards communication is unicast.

At least those are the details I’ve seen mentioned here in the community by @ratty and others. The IGMP protocol therefore needs to be enabled on the router - I have seen Staff sometimes mention to leave UPnP turned on, but I’m of the opinion that has some security issues, so I leave that switched off on my router too. I’ve also seen @ratty and others say that it’s not needed.

Thanks - I’ll have another look tomorrow...

Thanks - I’ll have another look tomorrow...

No worries, hope you can get it sorted.👍

I’d just like to thank you both for your help - much appreciated in what has been a stressful time - I don’t cope well without music playing all the time!

The Dray Tek is only recently available and the unit I received a few days ago is clearly brand new. However, a reply from Day Tek support suggested that I upgrade the firmware, despite their release notes not containing anything of relevance. This I did, and now have a working system again 😀

It’s currently on test, but everything Sonos related seems OK. 

Ah good news,👍 …glad you manage to sort it quickly amun.