Question

Downsized Hi Res flac files won't play

Userlevel 2
Badge
Hello, I recently downloaded some Hi Res Flac files. Knowing Sonos won't play them, I used dbPowerAmp to down size them to 16 bit 44.1 kHz files with a bit rate of 1411 kpbs. I confirmed that the file size had been changed by accessing the metadata. Whenever Sonos tries to play these files I get an error message of "connection to computer was lost." All my pre existing files play fine. The files play fine on my computer and phone. Any suggestions on what I'm missing to make Sonos play these files?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

I've used dBpoweramp to downconvert with success. What was the original format of the files? If the sampling rate was 96 or 192kHz then get dBpoweramp to convert to 16-bit 48kHz, not 44.1.
Userlevel 2
Badge
The original files are 24 bit 48 kHz. I went back to the originals and resampled them at 16 bit 48 kHz, but it still didn't work. One thing I did notice is that it gives me an error code of 1002 the first time it tries to play after being added to my library. After that I get the connection to computer lost message when I try to play. I too have successfully used dBpoweramp to down size before, but it was a while ago. Don't know what I'm missing. On a side note the files I successfully down converted before were from the same artist, NIN.
24/48 to 16/48 ought to be trivial.

Something else is afoot. An error 1002 is a timeout, usually because Sonos can't reach the files. Maybe access rights are different. Did dBpoweramp create the folder containing the files?
You say the files play fine on your phone. Have you tried playing from the phone to Sonos?
Userlevel 2
Badge
No, I create the folders in my music library and copy the Hi Res flac files to that folder. Then I use dB to convert them.
Userlevel 2
Badge
John B, I use a streaming app called subsonic to play them on my phone. Subsonic converts them to mp3 format to stream them to the phone. Sonos does have a sub sonic player and i was able to get them to play through that, it's just a pain to have to do that for one particular album, and it's the mp3 that plays as opposed to the down converted Flac.
But just to test the theory that the format is OK and the access is the problem could you not just copy one track to the phone (Android?) and see if it will play from On This Mobile Device? This is already too much trouble for one album, it's about the challenge 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge
Nope, same problem, I get a connection to phone was lost message, only with these files.
Userlevel 2
Badge
So I had two more albums that needed downsized for Sonos. One was 24bit 48 kHz Wav format and the other was 24 bit 96 kHz Flac. I down converted both albums to 16 bit 48 kHz Flacs and surprisingly, the files converted from wavs worked. All these files are from the same source, NIN. For whatever reason the Flac files won't work..
Convert them from FLAC to MP3... see if those work. Do the downloaded files play initially before conversion on anything you have? Maybe they're damaged, though you'd think dbPA would pick that up.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Sorry it's been a couple days, but I don't have a lot of time during the week to work on these type of things. I got the higher res flac files to work (the 96kHz) by converting them to wav format, then back to a lower res flac format. The original files that I started this thread for (the 48 kHz) still won't work though. There must be some security setting or something that is preventing it. I've tried up converting it to 96kHz and then following the steps i did to make the higher res files work, but that didn't work. I also tried converting the downconverted files to mp3 format. I didn't get any error messages when I tried to play them, but they wouldn't play. To clarify, they all play fine on the computer after every conversion, just not in Sonos. It's really befuddling me.