Answered

Downgrade failure: S1 app says all devices incompatible (Play:3, Play:1, Play:5 gen 1)

I keep my Sonos system on S1 because I have a first generation Play:5 that is hooked up to my record player. A houseguest recently tried to upgrade my system (thinking they were being helpful) and of course crashed the whole thing. I’ve tried the usual steps to factory reset and downgrade my products (I’ve done this before successfully when I first set up the record player) but now when the setup wizard gets to the stage of the final “push button/hear chime” after plugging in to ethernet, the process fails. I am given a “this device is only compatible with S2 system” message, which is entirely untrue as these are all S1 compatible devices. 

I’ve factory reset over and over, reset the apps on all devices, and reset the router. All to no avail. Please help! 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 24 May 2022, 02:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Just to double check, you’ve set up your “system” with just the first generation PLAY:5 and used the S1 app? Might be safest to make sure that PLAY:5 is temporarily connected directly to your router, just as a precaution while you do this.

Only once connect to the PLAY:5 can you then factory reset each device, and “add a device” to your PLAY:5 using that S1 app.

It’s also important to unplug all the S2 devices from power while doing this, just work with one device at a time, plugging it in/factory resetting it/adding it to the S1 PLAY:5 system.

If, however, you’ve done this process, it might be time to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it. You may need to be persistent, this kind of thing is probably not widely spread knowledge amongst the phone support people, there’s just not many people in this situation. 

Just as a note, though, the PLAY:1s and the PLAY:3s are both S2 capable, but I suspect you’re aware of that, since your helpful house guest did this process for you…..

I have many PLAY:1s and PLAY:3s in my own S2 system. Have gifted my PLAY:5 gen 1 on so that I no longer have that issue myself, but I do feel your pain. 

I am given a “this device is only compatible with S2 system” message, which is entirely untrue as these are all S1 compatible devices. 

It is in fact entirely correct for your Play:3 and Play:1 speakers.  Having been upgraded to S2 they are no longer, as things stand, compatible with S1, but are compatible with S2.  Your only possible way back is using the Play:5s, which cannot be upgraded to S2.  You should power off all your speakers.  Uninstall all Sonos apps from all your devices - that goes for S1 and S2 apps.

I don’t think it is necessary to power your router off and on, but I would do it anyway.

Factory reset the Play:5.  Ideally, connect it to your router by Ethernet.  Downlosd the Sonos S1 mobile app to a phone or tablet connected to the same network, and select to set up a new system.

If that works and you get the Play:5 working under S1, then power on the other speakers one at a time, factory resetting  each as you do, then add the speaker to your system.

If that doesn’t work, I am out of ideas.

Further thought.  If you are getting the ‘only compatible with S2’ message with the Play:5 then it isn’t a gen 1.

Just to double check, you’ve set up your “system” with just the first generation PLAY:5 and used the S1 app? Might be safest to make sure that PLAY:5 is temporarily connected directly to your router, just as a precaution while you do this.

Only once connect to the PLAY:5 can you then factory reset each device, and “add a device” to your PLAY:5 using that S1 app.

It’s also important to unplug all the S2 devices from power while doing this, just work with one device at a time, plugging it in/factory resetting it/adding it to the S1 PLAY:5 system.

If, however, you’ve done this process, it might be time to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it. You may need to be persistent, this kind of thing is probably not widely spread knowledge amongst the phone support people, there’s just not many people in this situation. 

Hi Bruce,

Thank you so much for your generous help. I really appreciate it. 

After reading your post I was able to successfully set up an S1 system with my PLAY:5 by plugging it in to ethernet before starting the process. When I tried previously I was waiting until prompted to plug into ethernet. After doing that I was able to add all my other Sonos devices. 

[EDIT] After a few attempts I was able to get the whole system working without the ethernet cable.

Thanks again so much for your help!

I am given a “this device is only compatible with S2 system” message, which is entirely untrue as these are all S1 compatible devices. 

It is in fact entirely correct for your Play:3 and Play:1 speakers.  Having been upgraded to S2 they are no longer, as things stand, compatible with S1, but are compatible with S2.  Your only possible way back is using the Play:5s, which cannot be upgraded to S2.  You should power off all your speakers.  Uninstall all Sonos apps from all your devices - that goes for S1 and S2 apps.

I don’t think it is necessary to power your router off and on, but I would do it anyway.

Factory reset the Play:5.  Ideally, connect it to your router by Ethernet.  Downlosd the Sonos S1 mobile app to a phone or tablet connected to the same network, and select to set up a new system.

If that works and you get the Play:5 working under S1, then power on the other speakers one at a time, factory resetting  each as you do, then add the speaker to your system.

If that doesn’t work, I am out of ideas.

Hi there. I was receiving this message after having reset the apps on all devices and factory resetting all of my Sonos products. That’s why I found it so confusing. I was able to set up an S1 system by hardwiring my Play:5, which is definitely 1st gen. That’s why these errors didn’t stack up to my mind. Thanks!