Answered

Dolby Atmos not working with Sonos Arc / Sony XH92 tv

• 1 March 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi All
I have just bought a Sonos Arc.
I was clearly hoping to use the Dolby Atmos functionality. 
Unfortunately, it does not appear to be working. 

I am using it with a Sony Bravia XH92 65 inch (kd-65xh9296) with the latest firmware (its a 2020 tv) and used the HDMI lead supplied with the Arc and plugged into the ARC HDMI socket on the TV. 
I have set the audio settings on the Sony as follows - A/V sync set to Auto and eARC mode set to auto.

Normal stereo sound is fantastic.
Obviously I have checked the Sonos app - this does not show the Dolby Atmos sign on the 'Now Playing' screen for the Arc and on the 'About my System' screen it informs me that the audio input into the Arc is generally Dolby Digital Plus 5.1.

No mention of Atmos at any point.

None of the apps on the Sony TV give me Atmos including films on Google Play, Disney and Netflix (all films that I have checked the system with I know are Atmos coded)
I am not using a Bluray. 
I will also post on the Sony forum but I'm wondering if anyone has had any similar problems as there seem to be a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum. 
I have played around with the audio settings on the TV and no improvement.

Very grateful for any thoughts you might have. 
Fran.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 1 March 2021, 18:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Is there an HDMI Signal Format and a Passthrough setting on your TV? If so, what are they currently set to?

thanks for the reply

yes not seen these settings as in a different place

under hdmi settings the port I am using (3) is set to standard.

the alternatives are 'enhanced' or 'enhanced - dolby vision' 

I have tried both of these and doesnt seem to have any difference. Still saying sound input it Dolby Digital 5.1. I cant see any pass through settings.

Userlevel 7

Try setting HDMI Signal Format to “Enhanced Format”. Then try these audio settings below:

Audio Output Menu

Speakers: Audio System

Auto System Prioritization: On

A/V Sync: On

eARC Mode: Auto

Digital Audio Out: Auto 1

Dolby Digital Plus Output: Dolby Digital Plus

(If available) Pass Through Mode: Auto

Thanks for much for the reply.

It turns out that the problem was more basic

Disney app - doesn’t work for Dolby Atmos on Android tv

Google Play app - same

Netflix - hadn’t paid for the top subscription

So all the 3 apps I was using didn’t work

So now I’ve given Netflix some more money and am using the Apple TV app and all good.

Appreciate your input

Fran