Answered

Distressed Streaming from Synology NAS

• 10 September 2022
  • 1 reply

We have a collection of Sonos speakers that include: three OneSL, one Beam, two Play1, one Play 3 and one Sub.  

While streaming from any service, Apple Music or Pandora for example, most of the time everything plays beautifully, but I have noticed that in the Kitchen, which has 2 OneSL paired, one or both will drop out and then kick back in a few moments later.  Since I am not always in the kitchen, I do not know how often nor have I found anything to reproduce the situation, though it continues to occur.  All speakers are WM: 0 via the wired Beam.

While streaming from my Synology NAS I get frequent drop outs, or even some distorted sound and then it picks back up and plays fine after a few moments to a few minutes which creates for an unlistenable experience.

Any suggestions?

icon

Best answer by buzz 10 September 2022, 22:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Microwave ovens can be a wireless disrupter when operating.

Are you Grouping Rooms? The first Room when a Group is defined becomes the Group “Coordinator”. All network traffic for the Group flows through the Coordinator and the left member of a pair becomes the Coordinator for that pair. If the Coordinator for a Group is struggling with its connectivity, the Group will suffer. Therefore, building the Group in a different order can be helpful.

Diagnosing a connectivity issue can be tricky for NAS tracks because there is a data cache in each player -- that could contain the remainder of a track. A disruption of a few seconds or much more may not result in any audible issues. In the case of the microwave oven interference, a 30 second heat might be transparently be dealt with unless it is near a track transition, however, a several minute full power cook might cause trouble. A less than full power cook might not cause audible trouble because the heater is cycled ON and OFF. During the OFF periods the cache can be refilled.

Decent historic data is held in the diagnostics. Unfortunately, we do not have access to this data. You can submit a diagnostic immediately after an event and follow up with Sonos phone support. The best diagnostic detail might begin to scroll out of view after about 10 minutes.