Distorted sound on LG TV streaming apps

• 23 November 2021
  • 5 replies

In the last week or two the audio on my TV streaming APPS - Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon Prime Video has become distorted.  In the beginning the audio would return to normal after a few minutes but now it stays distorted.  I have tried rebooting modem and TV with negative results.  The audio on Live TV, Youtube, DVD player and streaming from Mac Pro via HDMI is fine.  I have been using WIFI for many years but recently found streamed music from Spotify or my Music Library would drop out so I hard wired to modem with ethernet cable from playbar which fixed that problem.  This is the only change I’ve done.  I tried going back to WIFI but still audio was distorted.

The equipment I’m using are as follows

LG OLED65C8PLA - 2018

Sonos playbar (2015) - optical to TV

Sonos 2 x Play:3 (2015)

Sonos Sub (2018)

Really hope someone can help me solve this problem.  I’ve read many topics similar to my issue but can’t find an answer, also some of the lingo goes over my head.  

Cheers Julie

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Thanks for the reply.  Software is up to date so I’ll contact LG.

Unfortunately, everything you’ve said points to the TV as being the culprit here, and specifically the apps on the TV. I’d certainly recommend checking to see if there are any software updates for the TV itself, and then if not, contacting LG’s customer service directly. 

I have just changed the Sound Out option to ‘Internal TV Speaker + Optical’ and audio is normal coming through the Sonos system.

Problem is I can only receive Stereo PCM even though the program is Vision Atmos or HD 5.1!

Cheers

Userlevel 7

I have just changed the Sound Out option to ‘Internal TV Speaker + Optical’ and audio is normal coming through the Sonos system.

Problem is I can only receive Stereo PCM even though the program is Vision Atmos or HD 5.1!

Cheers

On the TV settings, set Digital Sound Out to Auto and the DTV Audio Setting to Auto or Dolby Digital.

FYI… the highest quality audio the Playbar supports is Dolby Digital or DTS Digital Surround (on the S2 app). It does not support Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby Atmos.

Thanks for the reply.

I have changed the DTV Audio Setting to AUTO.

When I change the Digital Sound Out to Auto the distortion comes back.  Audio is only clear when it is in the PCM function.