Question

Diagnostic 505760259 - alarm plays Sonos chime instead of programmed playlist

• 10 September 2019
  • 18 replies

Badge +2

Sonos was set to begin playing a pre-set playlist from a PC at 8:00 am. At 8:35, I noticed that the Sonos chime was playing instead. I opened the Sonos app on my PC and manually selected the same playlist that the Sonos was supposed to already be playing. It begin playing without issue. The PC hosting the Sonos app and the music that was set in the playlist had been on, as well as available to the LAN and Internet, since 5:30 am.

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Deyeme

By "on" do you mean the PC was not in sleep or hibernate mode; or just that it wasn't turned off? FYI, sleep and hibernate modes must be disabled in order for a PC to be awake at all times.
Badge +2
Hi Deyeme

By "on" do you mean the PC was not in sleep or hibernate mode; or just that it wasn't turned off? FYI, sleep and hibernate modes must be disabled in order for a PC to be awake at all times.

Correct. The PC was not in hibernate, sleep, or any other such mode. It is a desktop PC, and not a laptop, so peripheral sleep that may take place on a laptop does not apply on this machine. I shut my PC off manually in the evening, and it turns on automatically at 5:30 am. As I said above, "The PC hosting the Sonos app and the music that was set in the playlist had been on, as well as available to the LAN and Internet, since 5:30 am."
Userlevel 7
Hi Deyeme

Thanks for the clarification. If the alarm has been working in the past submitting a diagnostic was the proper course of action. If this is the first time you tired to set the alarm make sure you followed the instructions here.
Badge +2
It's daily. As in, every day, it screws up. And every day, if I just open the app and manually select the same audio source (MP3 playlist, streaming radio station) it plays the selected audio. There is a bug in the alarm program that is preventing the intended audio source from playing. I have submitted another diagnostic as of this morning: 1545748625

I'll try MP3 playlist for a week straight, and a streaming radio station for a week straight. I will submit a diagnostic for each failure instance, so the Sonos team can fix the design flaw and issue an update.
Mine does the same as Dayeme. Plays chime instead of my morning playlist 😕
Just happened this morning, AGAIN.
I've submitted diagnostic 2097214448 for you to check out out
Badge +2
Just submitted another (and posted in a new thread, but repeating here for others).

This incident was kinda new. So, among the other Alarms I have set, I have a streaming radio station set to start at 5pm, at about 50% volume, then at 9pm, maintain the same station, and reduce volume to around 10%. I wouldn't bother having it on at night at all, but if it's not active on the LAN, it ALWAYS has trouble in the morning... so I thought I'd try this. Basically, keep it talking to the network, or even Internet, until the AM alarm I have set.

Well, at 5pm, it was playing the radio station. At 9:30 or so, when I checked it with the Sonos app, it was playing the Sonos chime (at the correct volume for the 9pm setting). So, the Sonos adjusted the volume, and must have broken and then tried to re-establish the streaming radio station, and somehow lost it.

It would be really nice if the Alarm had a fallback CHOICE instead of simply falling back to the Sonos chime (a sound I'm really learning to dislike). For example, if you normally use myTuner, maybe the 2nd choice could be a TuneIn station instead, or if TuneIn is down, a local PC with MP3s, etc.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Mine does the same as Dayeme. Plays chime instead of my morning playlist 😕
Just happened this morning, AGAIN.
I've submitted diagnostic 2097214448 for you to check out out

Hi there,

I see a stream limit error in your report. If you are using the same Spotify account to play on a non Sonos device, your Sonos speaker is getting a playback error from Spotify when the alarm runs, so it runs the chime instead. Please make sure your Spotify account is not in use, or try using a different account. Send along a new report if it's still acting up.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
@Deyeme Your diagnostic report came through with formatting errors, making it hard to read. This usually happens when the Sonos speakers aren't able to pull full reports from each other, perhaps due to communication issues across your local network.

It sounds like your speakers aren't able to make the connection to the streaming station when your alarm chime plays. This could happen for various reasons, it would help to see a diagnostic report sent right after the alarm chime plays. If the report comes through without formatting errors, we can try to see what's going on.

It never hurts to reboot your router, any networking equipment and your Sonos speakers to ensure everything has up to date network information.
Badge +2
I'm not using Spotify - at least not to my knowledge. Is this something Sonos does without my knowledge or intervention? I don't use Twitter or Instagram either - again, unless Sonos is doing something I don't know about, lol.

I've been experimenting with three sources to get reliable sounds to play from the speaker - an MP3 collection on a local computer, Radio By TuneIn, and MyTuner Radio.

Just recently, I've discovered another interesting error. No sound was coming from the speaker at all (though it should be making some noise now 24/7, because of the alarms I have set). I opened the Sonos app on my PC, and found it set to a radio station (as it should have been) but it was PAUSED / STOPPED (the Play triangle button appeared on the app screen). I clicked the PLAY button, and the station began playing. Until noticing no sound coming from the Sonos, I hadn't opened the app since the previous day, so I have no idea why it would bring up a streaming station and simply not play it. No error, no Sonos chime, just... nothing... even though the streaming station appeared under the Prev / Play / Next button set.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add a 1, 2, 3 choice setup for the Alarm times. And make "nothing" an option so that stupid Sonos chime doesn't necessarily play when there's a network failure.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'm not using Spotify - at least not to my knowledge. Is this something Sonos does without my knowledge or intervention? I don't use Twitter or Instagram either - again, unless Sonos is doing something I don't know about, lol.

I've been experimenting with three sources to get reliable sounds to play from the speaker - an MP3 collection on a local computer, Radio By TuneIn, and MyTuner Radio.

Just recently, I've discovered another interesting error. No sound was coming from the speaker at all (though it should be making some noise now 24/7, because of the alarms I have set). I opened the Sonos app on my PC, and found it set to a radio station (as it should have been) but it was PAUSED / STOPPED (the Play triangle button appeared on the app screen). I clicked the PLAY button, and the station began playing. Until noticing no sound coming from the Sonos, I hadn't opened the app since the previous day, so I have no idea why it would bring up a streaming station and simply not play it. No error, no Sonos chime, just... nothing... even though the streaming station appeared under the Prev / Play / Next button set.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add a 1, 2, 3 choice setup for the Alarm times. And make "nothing" an option so that stupid Sonos chime doesn't necessarily play when there's a network failure.

I think you read the previous post, which referred to the Spotify stream limit. That was meant for @User613632. Sorry for the confusion.

It's hard to say what's going on without a closer look. In my reply to your post, I mentioned that the diagnostic couldn't be read, and asked you to send a new one the next time this happens. Many times, this indicates network issues of some sort. You can try doing some wireless troubleshooting, which never hurts.

I'll be happy to send along your feedback requesting alternative alarm sources to the team as a feature request.
Badge +2

I think you read the previous post, which referred to the Spotify stream limit. That was meant for @User613632. Sorry for the confusion.

It's hard to say what's going on without a closer look. In my reply to your post, I mentioned that the diagnostic couldn't be read, and asked you to send a new one the next time this happens. Many times, this indicates network issues of some sort. You can try doing some wireless troubleshooting, which never hurts.

I'll be happy to send along your feedback requesting alternative alarm sources to the team as a feature request.

Oh, ok. Yea, no Spotify here. No multiple Sonos speakers, either. K.I.S.S. right (keep it simple, stupid!).

New diagnostic 1684038173

Alarm set to 06:00 to begin playing streaming radio station. Sonos chime played instead. I noticed the issue at 07:55. I created the diagnostic, and then manually (with the Windows application) clicked on the streaming station Sonos was supposed to be playing. It started playing without issue.

Someone in your programming team needs to add some code to "try again" on failure, or find out what the programmatic difference is between an alarm initiating a play action and a user using the program to start a play action. As many times as this has happened, there MUST be a difference. Find it, and you'll likely fix the problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
@Deyeme Thanks for the additional information. Unfortunately your report is still showing formatting errors. At this point it would be best to continue troubleshooting live with our phone team. Please give us a call, our number's here.
Badge +2

...and again.

Are you saying that your own hardware and software can't even submit its own diagnostic? I can't possibly imagine what good talking to someone on the phone is going to do. Is there some other way to submit diagnostics? What kind of "formatting errors" are you talking about? Is the unit simply bad? Is there a way to exchange it with one that functions in the way it is intended to function? Are these "formatting errors" common on these units?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
@Deyeme The formatting errors happen when there are general communication issues between your components, as I mentioned above. In effect, the diagnostic request didn't get all of the data from all of the players, leading to incomplete information. This is also likely what is causing the alarms to play chimes as the speakers aren't communicating properly with the audio sources. I gave some suggestions for generic troubleshooting of communication issues, but without more information I can't be specific in troubleshooting advice. This is why the live troubleshooting our phone teams can do is better.
Badge +2
"...from all the players..." There is only ONE Sonos device here.
I can't imagine someone on the telephone being able to instruct me to do anything that I can't be instructed to do in this forum. Anything like "try again" or "try it now" is going to work. That's the worst thing about this Smart Speaker. Manual intervention works. But I don't want to manually intervene with this stupid thing multiple times per day. That's like having a dusk-to-dawn driveway light that doesn't turn on when it gets dark, or off when the sun's up, and you have to keep doing it manually, because it's a Smart Switch. Hopefully that makes sense.

So here's the latest, also submitted in a new thread:

Current alarms:
7:02 for 2:00 - streaming radio station, low volume (unknown if successful)
8:02 for 2:00 - streaming radio station (same station), higher volume. Successful
10:01 for 4:00 - MP3s from network PC. FAILURE.
10:05 (or so) - created diagnostic and this thread
10:11 clicked PLAY / PAUSE button between NEXT and PREV buttons on Sonos app - music started right away

I have noticed a trend, although I cannot state whether it's always true or not, but it seems that starting an alarm for a few minutes (but not just one minute) before or after the top of the hour seems to result in more successful starts from the play source, regardless of that play source.

(Yes, I know the 7:00 alarm is for 2 hours, but the next one starts in 1 hour - I did have it set for 6am, but I wanted to have a better opportunity to check to see if it was successfully started without opening the Sonos app. There seems to be no issue with overlapping alarms - the previous one is simply replaced by the next one).
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
@Deyeme This is what comes from having to troubleshoot through guesswork rather than data. I still can't read your report. This is indicative of some sort of network issues. Either firewalls preventing communication, network congestion, or interference or some sort. Either way, your speaker isn't able to communicate properly enough to send a diagnostic without corrupt data. Very likely, the reason the diagnostic reports aren't submitting correctly is the same thing causing your alarms to chime as your speaker can't connect to the audio source, as it can't connect for diagnostic reports. At this point it would be best to continue troubleshooting with our phone team as they can look at your data locally, and troubleshoot more efficiently in order to identify and fix the issue.
Badge +2
"Either way, your speaker isn't able to communicate properly enough to send a diagnostic without corrupt data. "

This statement makes no sense. The device, when controlled manually, accepts control commands. It plays music sources, both network streaming and locally sourced MP3 files. How does the speaker attempt to send this data? How is this corruption allowed to take place with no thought to checksums or other measures of any kind to ensure data integrity? If the diagnostic capability is supposed to solve problems, how is it designed to be so fragile as to it, itself, BEING A PROBLEM?!? This smells like another lame excuse for lazy and/or uneducated programmers.

...and yes, I've been a computer programmer for many years.

Now, if I'm talking to a tech on the telephone, how are they supposed to talk to the Sonos in a way that I cannot? How are they going to "look at my data locally?" Can someone in the programming team at least add some old-school compression with parity... or something... to the diagnostic? Or at the very least, if there is corruption in the diagnostic data detected, don't allow submission?
Time to #FireTheCustomer.