Question

Diagnostic 505760259 - alarm plays Sonos chime instead of programmed playlist

• 10 September 2019
  • 6 replies

Badge

Sonos was set to begin playing a pre-set playlist from a PC at 8:00 am. At 8:35, I noticed that the Sonos chime was playing instead. I opened the Sonos app on my PC and manually selected the same playlist that the Sonos was supposed to already be playing. It begin playing without issue. The PC hosting the Sonos app and the music that was set in the playlist had been on, as well as available to the LAN and Internet, since 5:30 am.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi Deyeme

By "on" do you mean the PC was not in sleep or hibernate mode; or just that it wasn't turned off? FYI, sleep and hibernate modes must be disabled in order for a PC to be awake at all times.
Badge
Hi Deyeme

By "on" do you mean the PC was not in sleep or hibernate mode; or just that it wasn't turned off? FYI, sleep and hibernate modes must be disabled in order for a PC to be awake at all times.

Correct. The PC was not in hibernate, sleep, or any other such mode. It is a desktop PC, and not a laptop, so peripheral sleep that may take place on a laptop does not apply on this machine. I shut my PC off manually in the evening, and it turns on automatically at 5:30 am. As I said above, "The PC hosting the Sonos app and the music that was set in the playlist had been on, as well as available to the LAN and Internet, since 5:30 am."
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi Deyeme

Thanks for the clarification. If the alarm has been working in the past submitting a diagnostic was the proper course of action. If this is the first time you tired to set the alarm make sure you followed the instructions here.
Badge
It's daily. As in, every day, it screws up. And every day, if I just open the app and manually select the same audio source (MP3 playlist, streaming radio station) it plays the selected audio. There is a bug in the alarm program that is preventing the intended audio source from playing. I have submitted another diagnostic as of this morning: 1545748625

I'll try MP3 playlist for a week straight, and a streaming radio station for a week straight. I will submit a diagnostic for each failure instance, so the Sonos team can fix the design flaw and issue an update.
Mine does the same as Dayeme. Plays chime instead of my morning playlist 😕
Just happened this morning, AGAIN.
I've submitted diagnostic 2097214448 for you to check out out
Badge
Just submitted another (and posted in a new thread, but repeating here for others).

This incident was kinda new. So, among the other Alarms I have set, I have a streaming radio station set to start at 5pm, at about 50% volume, then at 9pm, maintain the same station, and reduce volume to around 10%. I wouldn't bother having it on at night at all, but if it's not active on the LAN, it ALWAYS has trouble in the morning... so I thought I'd try this. Basically, keep it talking to the network, or even Internet, until the AM alarm I have set.

Well, at 5pm, it was playing the radio station. At 9:30 or so, when I checked it with the Sonos app, it was playing the Sonos chime (at the correct volume for the 9pm setting). So, the Sonos adjusted the volume, and must have broken and then tried to re-establish the streaming radio station, and somehow lost it.

It would be really nice if the Alarm had a fallback CHOICE instead of simply falling back to the Sonos chime (a sound I'm really learning to dislike). For example, if you normally use myTuner, maybe the 2nd choice could be a TuneIn station instead, or if TuneIn is down, a local PC with MP3s, etc.