Answered

Deleted music.

• 5 December 2019
  • 21 replies

All the music I have on my iPad was also on my Sonos, until in their wisdom Sonos deleted most of it, & now defy all my attempts to reinstate it.

Can some explain in simple English how I can get back so I can play it?

icon

Best answer by John B 24 December 2019, 12:45

It is true that you cannot play the music stored on your iPad on your Play:1.  That has been clear from the outset.  What everyone has been trying to do is give you an alternative way of playing the music you own on your Play:1.  I am sorry that you haven’t been able to adopt any of these and I wish you a merry Christmas.  You will have no trouble selling a Play:1 on eBay.  It would cover a large part of the cost of an on-offer One SL, to which you could play music stored on your iPad, as the One SL is Airplay 2 compatible.

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

It is true that you cannot play the music stored on your iPad on your Play:1.  That has been clear from the outset.  What everyone has been trying to do is give you an alternative way of playing the music you own on your Play:1.  I am sorry that you haven’t been able to adopt any of these and I wish you a merry Christmas.  You will have no trouble selling a Play:1 on eBay.  It would cover a large part of the cost of an on-offer One SL, to which you could play music stored on your iPad, as the One SL is Airplay 2 compatible.

Thank you to all the kind, helpful people who have replied to my query. 

Sadly after literally hours of email correspondence with a Sonos spokesperson, she & I have failed to come up with as workable solution. It would appear that my Play:1 is incapable of playing my music from my iPad, & is thus a very expensive radio. Are mint second-hand Play:1 saleable in the UK? If so for how much roughly?

Anyway, that aside Seasons Greetings to all, have a great time. DDDesigns.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Firstly check for the mail in your Spam/Junk e-mail folder in case it goes there. If you still are having problems getting it to work and you are happy that the music files are on your Mac I suggest you call again and ask Sonos to remote into your computer to try and set it up for you.

Beyond that you might be able to find somebody locally with the tech savvy to be able to help - either a friend or relative or acquaintance or you could maybe find somebody to pay on an hourly basis but obviously take due care!

nik9669a,

Thank you, This morning I phoned the 0800 number, spoke to a man for some time explaining what I could not do, i.e. get music that had been on Sonos back on to it from my iPad.

He told me there were ways, & because I am not good with phones (age thing), he agreed to email the instructions. 

They have yet to arrive. Perhaps they will, or not, eventually. What else can I try?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This is a User community forum, rather than Sonos Support. They can be contacted by phone in the UK on 0800 026 1526 (or by other methods). (This information is on their web site.)

I have tried everything suggested. I have updated both my iPad & MacBook as far as I can. I still cannot get my Sonos to accept my downloaded music from either my Pad or Mac.

OK I am an elderly man, (i.e. may have old fashioned ideas) but I would have thought Sonos might have taken some interest in helping me, but apparently not.

Here are the current Sonos system requirements…

Sonos System Requirements

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Greyed out menu options are when there is a mis-match between firmware versions and the version of the controller software. Make sure you have a device that CAN be upgraded to the latest controller version and then do that. If your device is to old you’ll need to get a device that can be loaded with the latest software

Thank you for all suggestions.

The problem I have is that when I try to use the suggestions, the items I want to use are greyed out so I cannot access them.

dddesigns,

As a very happy UK user myself, it’s just a case of you following the advice and the links provided by jgatie, melvimbe and others above to setup access to your music library on your MacBook for Sonos to then index and be able to play your music. 

The instructions provided are very much self-explanatory and (step by step) easy to follow.

If you do get stuck for any reason then here is a helpful troubleshooting support page too, which gives some further ‘simple to follow’ advice to help solve the majority of issues.

Music library troubleshooting

If you tell us whst went wrong when you tried to set up a Sonos Music Library we will try to help.

John B,

Thank you. I thought I had a Sonos One, but having looked at the box I see it is a Play:1.

I still cannot access my music via it.

Sorry, but neither of the suggestions above worked for me. I have the music stored on both my MacBook, & iPad, but cannot get from either of them on to my Sonos Play:1.

Regardless of some of the comments of previous themes, I am stuck with a device which allows me to only play radio. Something of a waste of money. I guess because I am a UK user that is OK.

As a happy UK user I shall ignore that final comment.  Your profile says you have a Sonos One.  You refer to a Play:1.  Which is it?  It makes a big difference.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Why did they “not work for me”? Were you getting an error message when setting up your music library? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Since Apple changed IOS you can't play music that is stored on your iPad, as the On This Device option no longer works.

You will be able to play the music stored on your Mac by adding it as a source in your music library. To play ay that music tour Mac will need to be on when you want to play it. 

Sorry, but neither of the suggestions above worked for me. I have the music stored on both my MacBook, & iPad, but cannot get from either of them on to my Sonos Play:1.

Regardless of some of the comments of previous themes, I am stuck with a device which allows me to only play radio. Something of a waste of money. I guess because I am a UK user that is OK.

Add your Mac music library to Sonos:

Adding and updating your music library

Sonos can play music files stored on your MacBook.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/257?language=en_US

The music I have was downloaded from CDs onto my MacBook, & from there to my iPad. So yes it is all on both. What I don’t understand, is why some music has remained on the iPad.

Is there some way I can have the music available to Sonos without buying anything. When I bought the Play:1 I explained to the retailer I wanted to play radio via wi-fi, & download the music. I was told the Sonos would be perfect. It was for a time, but constant updating for things of no interest has made it a nightmare. Frankly it was not a good buy.

Sonos doesnt delete anything.  However, you no longer have the ability to play music stored on an iOS device due to changes made by Apple.  See this thread:

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/on-this-iphone-or-ipad-no-longer-available-6829000

I am afraid Sonos does not store any music, and cannot delete music, it only stores paths to files in other locations.  So I am not sure how you have been trying to reinstate it.

Do you have your music stored in any other location besides the iPad, such as iTunes on a computer?