Deleted albums still "exist" in Google Play Music.

Userlevel 2
This is in reference to Google Play Music. I can log into my Google Play Music on their website and add albums to My Library and they show up in the My Library section under the Google Play Music "station". However, when I delete one of those albums, again using the website, the album "cover" still shows up up under the Album category in the My Library section of Google Play Music in the Sonos app but when I click on the album i get the message "No selections are available". My main point is that the Sonos app is showing albums, albeit with no songs, that aren't really in my Library.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

Same problem here. I'm putting in a support request with Sonos.

I've tried a couple of (drastic!) options to try and fix this with no success. Removing / re-adding Google Play account; DELETING all my Google Play music and starting again; deleting all authorised devices and re-authorising Sonos.

I still have a bunch of albums (with no songs) cluttering My Library that only show under Google Play in Sonos, not on any other device.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi,

We're working on this right now with Google Play Music to get it resolved for you. At this time, we've found that clearing the tracks from your Google Play Music Trash will help remove the echo (though it may still take some time before that carry's over). We'll let you know when this is resolved completely but don't currently have a timeline for the fix.

Thanks for your patience.
hi - i am having a similar issues trying to remove unwanted uploads in sonos. when i upload a compilation to google play i have to change albumartist metadata to 'Various' to see full the album in sonos. This kind of makes sense, although it is not necessary for google play. However after having done this, in sonos i see the entire album, and another version, showing either zero tracks or just one. I can find no way to delete this second version. i have nothing in my google trash. also, between these 2 version they may or may not show the artwork. the artwork is always there in google play. 

please help. my sonos googleplay library looks a right mess.
This is still happening.  I have just opened a google play account find that when my google play library is viewed in Sonos I have three albums in there I have never heard of - when I try and play them I get the message "no selections available".   I went into my library on my Mac and couldn't see the albums in my library there.  I searched for them and added them to my library.  I then played them via google play on Sonos.  I then went back onto the Mac and deleted my entire google play library (very small at this point) and then opened google play trash and "permanently" deleted everything from there.  I go back to Sonos and open google play library there and find everything has gone - except the three odd albums that I didn't put there in the first place ( and again they won't play any more - so deleting them did that at least).  So, why are these albums displaying?  Where is Sonos getting these from? I tried removing then re-adding the google play service, and also resetting my sons controller but this didn't help.

t am reluctant to start building my google play library at this point if this is a sign of problems to come.  In which case I may as well cancel my google play account and go back to Spotify since I only switched to google for the library fearure.

Any help would be welcome.
Userlevel 3
This is happening to me, although I just permanently deleted my library 10 minutes ago. Have I just got to wait a bit longer? Google Play has been the only service with Artist Radio on Sonos along with vast collection of music and a decent iphone app. I really hope this library issue is resolved. 
I just bought an album which will only show up if I add songs to a playlist. Browsing via the library tab, artist does not show up. Also still seeing music that I have deleted. 

Looks like this has been going on for awhile... when will we see a fix or some kind of work around???
Hi,

We're working on this right now with Google Play Music to get it resolved for you. At this time, we've found that clearing the tracks from your Google Play Music Trash will help remove the echo (though it may still take some time before that carry's over). We'll let you know when this is resolved completely but don't currently have a timeline for the fix.

Thanks for your patience.

Ryan S, do you have an update on this?  I have followed the instructions to empty the trash.  That works for tracks from Google Play Music itself.  However, tracks that I have uploaded still leave "ghost folders" for the Artists and Albums, even though the uploaded tracks themselves have been deleted and trashs.  Please respond!  You can imagine that just a couple of compilation albums uploaded then deleted will put 50 ghost items in the Artist list--it's a mess!
This is happening to me, although I just permanently deleted my library 10 minutes ago. Have I just got to wait a bit longer? Google Play has been the only service with Artist Radio on Sonos along with vast collection of music and a decent iphone app. I really hope this library issue is resolved. 
Yes, I agree, it is time for a response on this.
I just bought an album which will only show up if I add songs to a playlist. Browsing via the library tab, artist does not show up. Also still seeing music that I have deleted. 

Looks like this has been going on for awhile... when will we see a fix or some kind of work around???

Yes, we need a work around.  Emptying the trash as Ryan S suggested does not work, for uploaded tracks.
hi - i am having a similar issues trying to remove unwanted uploads in sonos. when i upload a compilation to google play i have to change albumartist metadata to 'Various' to see full the album in sonos. This kind of makes sense, although it is not necessary for google play. However after having done this, in sonos i see the entire album, and another version, showing either zero tracks or just one. I can find no way to delete this second version. i have nothing in my google trash. also, between these 2 version they may or may not show the artwork. the artwork is always there in google play. 

please help. my sonos googleplay library looks a right mess.

Yes, compilations are a mess!  I have 50 Artists listed on Sonos under Google Play Music, with no tracks.  The Artists menu is a mess.  All because I uploaded and deleted two compilation albums.

A response here would be greatly appreciated seeing as how the problem was acknowledged 10 months ago. Not good enough really.
I've got a long standing related problem. Seems Sonos don't have answers to this type issue. Must be something to do with their relationship with GPM (and Spotify - I see many similar issues with them as well)
Hi There, the problem with Google play is still there, when will this be solved? Also new google play free account can added to Sonos but when selecting it you get an error that the free radio cannot be played by Sonos. I use an other free google account (which exists for many years) and this account works great.
I've got the same issue. Signed up for a trial of premium Google play music ages ago, added a bunch of albums to my library, decided not to pay after trial ended. These albums disappeared when looking from play music but in Sonos app they are still there with "no selection available" when you go in to album.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Two years pass and this very basic problem still exists? (I experienced it today.) Wow! It suggests that Sonos and GPM don't have an effective working relationship, and might explain why the integration of GPM into the Sonos controller is not very good.

Dave Ings
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I also have the same issue, going from paid version to free, the albums etc are still ghosting in sonos. Is there any solution for this glitch?
Wow a three year old bug and Sonos doesn’t have a fix. I am experiencing this as well.
Same problem here.
Userlevel 2
I add myself to the list. Wanted to start fresh and deleted my uploaded music then emptied the Trash. It's been four days but Sonos shows me still all the deleted Artists.

Has anybody found a workaround?
Userlevel 2
as an update: Today all the "ghosts" are gone. Maybe it takes a really long time until the deleted Artist/Albums will truly vanish from googles DB...
Same issue as people above. Had a GPM trial, but artists still showing up even when the trial expired. Tried fully resetting my google music library as much as I could. Deleted all of the library and deleted music history from the app. Still have the same issue with the albums appearing and being empty.
I had this exact problem and found a way to clear all deleted 'ghost' albums from Google Play Music. On an android device where you have Play Music installed, go to settings and then go to the app section and look for a system processes app called 'Media Storage'. Click on it and then click on 'Clear Data'. This will clear up all ghost deleted music and you're left with a nice clean library of your remaining music in the Google Play Music app. Hope this helps.