Answered

Delete a room/speaker

• 4 February 2017
  • 43 replies

Show first post

43 replies

Wow, you guys are over-thinking this to the power of 10. How about right-click on Garage, and the option "delete" appears?

How about right click on a speaker, and the option "move to another room" appears?

I really hope that this does not come across as nasty, it's not meant to be. Geez...

No it doesn't come across as nasty at all, just as having misunderstood the situation as much as some others on this thread.
  1. We are not from Sonos so we are describing the situation as it is, not as it might be.
  2. You cannot do any room-related admin tasks in the PC app any more, but let's interpret 'right-click' as 'long press' where necessary. But I am not sure where in the app you want this to be done.
  3. This effectively already exists - tap 'room name' and choose a different name
  4. What if someone wants to change the label but not move the speaker? It's the same thing, so your suggestion would be confusing
  5. What if the 'room' is a stereo pair or a HT setup, and you want to split it and move some or all the speakers?
No, the current method is simple already, once you grasp what a 'room' is in Sonos, and what 'room name' is. You are under-thinking it.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
As John B says, this is a Users site, though some Sonos staff post here too. We try to answer questions newer users ask.

We can only answer the question that is asked, and only based on the information provided in the question. You are adding more info as we answer your question.

And, btw, next time you want to test the Wi-fi range just move the speaker. It’s already set up, so after a few minutes whilst it restarts, and if it’s in range, it will receive music when you send a stream to it regardless of whether it’s called bathroom or Lounge Left, but located in a garage. Test over. Put it back where it started. Simple. Don’t rename it. But if you do, just name it back again, or re-pair it to the other.
Wow, you guys are over-thinking this to the power of 10. How about right-click on Garage, and the option "delete" appears?

How about right click on a speaker, and the option "move to another room" appears?

I really hope that this does not come across as nasty, it's not meant to be. Geez...

I just tried to right click on one of my speakers and choose the "delete" option and you know what? It just ain't there! So instead thinking of what could be, we have tried to tell you the way to achieve what you want with the app as it is today. The fact you label this as "over-thinking this to the power of 10" is strange, because it would seem it is you who are overthinking things, instead of just following our directions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I know you've already got answers as to how the system currently, but I'm curious to learn a bit more about how you think it should work. So if there was this option to delete, what do you expect to happen with that action? Where does the speaker 'go' in the Sonos app? If it disappears entirely, wouldn't that be pretty much a black hole, making the speaker unusable? How would that help you to move the speaker to another location, the kitchen, as you said you were trying to do?

Perhaps the speaker ends up in a 'deleted bin', like what happens with junk email? You could then put it back in service to someplace else, like your kitchen or a brand new room? I suppose that would work, but it's kind of unnecessary, as you can just skip over this step and rename/reconfigure the speaker as you wish. If you are truly getting rid of the speaker entirely, then just unplug it and do a factory reset.

One thing that might not be clear...when creating add a speaker to an existing room the create a stereo pair, the second speaker can be added as a new speaker to your system OR pulled from an existing room in your system.
Essentislly, anyone who thinks a 'delete room' option is needed, or that 'deleting a room in the app' is a meaningful concept, has totally misunderstood the nature of things.
Thanks for your detailed replies. My posts simply reflect my frustration that the quality of the software does not come close to the quality of the sound.
Thanks for your detailed replies. My posts simply reflect my frustration that the quality of the software does not come close to the quality of the sound.

Why is renaming a room, rather then deleting a room and then re-adding it under another name, an indicator of non-quality software? It's the exact same result, except more efficient because the deleting/adding is combined into one step!
I am afraid that the quality problem lies entirely in your understanding. The app gives a view of the system. If a speaker is there as part of the system, the app shows it. If not, it doesn't. Breaking that simple relationship would undermine something fundamental. Adding a 'delete a room' button would be a meaningless nonsense. At best.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Another thing to consider is the nature of the coding on the speakers themselves vs the controllers you use with your system. Essentially, your Sonos app is nothing more than a controller. It doesn't store any information about your system, that is all on the speaker itself. Really each speaker stores information about your music service, library locations, it's name etc. Noting on your phone. Because of this, you could use a new phone/tablet never used in your system before to control Sonos without any setup or transfer of data whatsoever. In fact you could move your speaker to a new home and control it with a brand new phone without losing any of you music service information, your account, etc.

To put another way, when you setup a stereo pair, you are telling the two speakers to configure themselves as a stereo pair. The speakers now know they are a pair and will play that way regardless of what controller is used. You are not make a change in the sonos app configurations itself.

So what does delete even really mean? Delete the data stored on the speaker, but keep it on the network (what would be the point of this)? Just remove it from the network but keep the data (unplugging it accomplishes this)? Delete the data and remove from the network (aka factory reset)

Thanks for your detailed replies. My posts simply reflect my frustration that the quality of the software does not come close to the quality of the sound.I am afraid that the quality problem lies entirely in your understanding. The app gives a view of the system. If a speaker is there as part of the system, the app shows it. If not, it doesn't. Breaking that simple relationship would undermine something fundamental. Adding a 'delete a room' button would be a meaningless nonsense. At best.

I have a similar problem to NMNM and understand his frustration.
When John B stated, "If not, it doesn't." isn't entirely correct because that is exactly what is happening to me and to NMNM (I believe). My app is showing a room that no longer has a speaker. Or to put another way, my app shows 6 rooms when I only have 5 speakers and I can't figure out how to delete the room without a speaker from the app.
my app shows 6 rooms when I only have 5 speakers and I can't figure out how to delete the room without a speaker from the app.
Fully exit and then restart the controller app.
Have you tried a reboot of your router?

What John B is correct, inasmuch as Sonos is concerned, and a healthy network is. It’s possible, however, that there is a lingering issue within the router, which might cause the “empty” room to still appear. Not technically something that Sonos can deal with, since it isn’t in their purview.
A newly started controller can only populate with the devices that respond to its discovery broadcast.
Thanks for the responses.
It's fixed.
Here's what I did...
I rebooted my router and did a soft reboot of my iPhone.
After accomplishing those, I reopened the Sonos app. It only recognized 2 speakers (out of 5)... interestingly one of which was the "missing speaker" or the empty room.
I rebooted every speaker in the house which led to all 5 and only 5 speakers identified. One of those speakers somehow rebooted and picked up the name of the empty room so I just renamed that speaker.

Done!
Hopefully that also helps NMNM with his issue.
I've renamed my 2 speakers to "Kitchen" and now I have two rooms named Kitchen that cannot be made a stereo pair, only grouped in mono
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I've renamed my 2 speakers to "Kitchen" and now I have two rooms named Kitchen that cannot be made a stereo pair, only grouped in mono

They need to be the same type of speaker in order to pair, renaming them is not going to change that.
Also, 'room' is just label for a speaker, so calling them both 'Kitchen' is rather like naming both your sons 'Steve'.

Change one of the names to 'Kitchen 2' so that you know which is which. This has no bearing on stereo pairing - my guess is that @controlav is correct in saying you have two different speakers and that is why they won't pair.