Answered

Delete a room/speaker

• 4 February 2017
  • 43 replies

How do I delete a room and move the speaker to another room?
icon

Best answer by Contemplative 7 February 2017, 10:01

Mexicanbandit,

I've read a number of posts where people get hung up on this very situation, so let me try and provide some points which I hope helps

1, Room/speaker names are just labels and has nothing to do with anything other then providing you a way of identifying the speakers. you can call it anything you want, Jack, Jill... I have a speaker called bedroom in the kitchen, why? well because, though intended for the bedroom. I sometimes move it between the bedroom and kitchen and lately has found a semi permanent home in the kitchen.
The key point is you know what your speakers are called and you know where each one is placed

2, The only way to truly combine speakers as a single room is either by bonding or pairing. Pairing is when you add 2 identical speakers (Plays 1, 3 and 5) and create a stereo pair, while bonding is when you add a Sub to and speaker or paired speaker or when you bond a Play bar with a sub and/or paired speaker set, creating a 5.0 or 5.1 surround. Paired or bonded speakers loose their individual identifies and is a semi permanent and the individual speakers in pair on bond looses their individual identity

3, Grouping is when you combine any speaker or paired or bonded group of speaks to play in sync and its a temporary group. The speakers in a group can be in the same room or in multiple rooms but they retain their separate identities

4, I don't believe you can true play grouped speakers (someone else should be able to confirm) only individual, paired or bonded speakers can be true played as they act as a single entity.

So to answer your original question, to move speakers between rooms you can either simply change the speaker name to reflect its new location, or as I have, leave the name as it because I know the name of the speaker and I know where it's placed. So when I am listening to music in the living room and I need to get dinner going, I simply group the speaker called "bedroom" (Play1) to another called "living room" (Play 5), by the way I also have a play bar in the living room called "Living room 2"

if you want all the speakers in a single room to act as a single entity, which you can then true play, you will need to either pair or bond them, but to do that you will need a specific combination of speakers.

2 x either of Play 1, 3, or 5, with or without a single sub (stereo pair with or without sub)
Play bar and a sub (3.1 surround)
Play bar with 2 x either of Play 1, 3, or 5 (5.0 surround)
Play bar + sub and 2 x either of Play 1, 3, or 5 (5.1 surround)

(I wont even bother going into the combinations possible when a Connect or Connect Amp is thrown into the mix)

I hope that makes things clearer
View original

43 replies

No need to delete. Just move the speaker, then edit the Room Name under Settings->Room Settings.
Thanks but It doesn't work, I now have a play 5 thinking it is another room to both my play one's. could do with deleting all and starting again, do you know how?
No i am sorry but you are not making any sense. Your Play 5 HAS to be identified by a different room label from the Play 1s. These are just labels
If you want to play them all together just group them. It doesn't matter what you call them. Call them Jack and Jill if the fancy takes you.
Ok thanks, I thought that I could have both play 1's and the 5 assigned to the same room, strange that you can't. In my living room I have a sound bar and sub woofer, I will be adding some play 1's shortly, are you saying that these will then have to be labelled as another room? If so that surely cannot be right, how do I get them to work together and tune them?
If you add them as surrounds they will no longer appear as separate rooms in the controller. It doesn't matter what they are called before you add them to the surround set up.
Indeed if these are new speakers to the whole system you are asked whether you want to add them as surrounds or standalone. Just follow the instructions
Right, I have a play 5 and 2 play 1's, they were used in different rooms. I now want to use them in the same room and have them working together in that room. How?
Group them
Yes of course, how silly of me, now why didn't I think of that? So what happens when I want to set up Trueplay in one room? The controller thinks that the only speakers that are in there are the play one's because they have been assigned to that room. Changing the name makes no difference at all
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
what happens when I want to set up Trueplay in one room?
You just activate Trueplay in every speaker. That's all there's to it.
Yes of course, how silly of me, now why didn't I think of that? So what happens when I want to set up Trueplay in one room? The controller thinks that the only speakers that are in there are the play one's because they have been assigned to that room. Changing the name makes no difference at allOK so I give you correct information in my own time, trying to help, and you respond with sarcasm? Thanks. I won't be contributing further to this thread.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Mexicanbandit,

I've read a number of posts where people get hung up on this very situation, so let me try and provide some points which I hope helps

1, Room/speaker names are just labels and has nothing to do with anything other then providing you a way of identifying the speakers. you can call it anything you want, Jack, Jill... I have a speaker called bedroom in the kitchen, why? well because, though intended for the bedroom. I sometimes move it between the bedroom and kitchen and lately has found a semi permanent home in the kitchen.
The key point is you know what your speakers are called and you know where each one is placed

2, The only way to truly combine speakers as a single room is either by bonding or pairing. Pairing is when you add 2 identical speakers (Plays 1, 3 and 5) and create a stereo pair, while bonding is when you add a Sub to and speaker or paired speaker or when you bond a Play bar with a sub and/or paired speaker set, creating a 5.0 or 5.1 surround. Paired or bonded speakers loose their individual identifies and is a semi permanent and the individual speakers in pair on bond looses their individual identity

3, Grouping is when you combine any speaker or paired or bonded group of speaks to play in sync and its a temporary group. The speakers in a group can be in the same room or in multiple rooms but they retain their separate identities

4, I don't believe you can true play grouped speakers (someone else should be able to confirm) only individual, paired or bonded speakers can be true played as they act as a single entity.

So to answer your original question, to move speakers between rooms you can either simply change the speaker name to reflect its new location, or as I have, leave the name as it because I know the name of the speaker and I know where it's placed. So when I am listening to music in the living room and I need to get dinner going, I simply group the speaker called "bedroom" (Play1) to another called "living room" (Play 5), by the way I also have a play bar in the living room called "Living room 2"

if you want all the speakers in a single room to act as a single entity, which you can then true play, you will need to either pair or bond them, but to do that you will need a specific combination of speakers.

2 x either of Play 1, 3, or 5, with or without a single sub (stereo pair with or without sub)
Play bar and a sub (3.1 surround)
Play bar with 2 x either of Play 1, 3, or 5 (5.0 surround)
Play bar + sub and 2 x either of Play 1, 3, or 5 (5.1 surround)

(I wont even bother going into the combinations possible when a Connect or Connect Amp is thrown into the mix)

I hope that makes things clearer
Excellent post — very comprehensive 🙂
Mexicanbandit

Great response, it answered questions I have about how the Sonos system works, but like others I have an "extra" room and unable to delete it. I'll explain. I have two (2) 1's and two (2) 5's. I had a Sonos Tech set them up for me with the 5's paired in my living room. All was well with my 3 different room speakers: Kitchen, Deck, and Living Room (paired). I ordered a Beam and Sonos sent a tech to set it up when I wasnt there (wife only). The guy struggled for a few hours to add the Beam and 'bond' with the pair of 5's. What I think he ultimately did was simply add the Beam without bonding. I can group the 5's but don't believe its actually surround sound. But the weird thing is the set up left me with two different rooms which both control my paired 5's. I went so far as naming them the same thing (living room) to see if that would work - it didn't. Weird thing is I got the paired speakers to play a song from the one "living room" and then played a second song on the same paired speakers... at the same time! I have found no way to delete. Obviuosly I want to delete the duplicate, I'm concerned if I 'bond' my Beam and 5's that I will end up with 2 dead rooms. Beam Alexa conflicting with my other Alexa, has more problems, but one problem at a time. Thoroughly confused.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
That a vey unusual situation. Can you clarify how you are currently set up? From what I understand you're rooms are as follows:

Kitchen (play:1 speaker)
Deck (play:1 speaker)
Living Room (pair of play:5s)

..and then it gets confusing. You also have

Living Room (listed again, also containing the same pair of play:5s)

the Beam is it's own separate room I assume? You didn't mention how that is setup?

In order to bond your play 5s to the beam, your Beam needs to be setup as a room first, then you can go and add surrounds to the beam. It does not matter if your 5s already setup as different room. The article goes into how that's done.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2927?language=en_US

I think that process of setting up the play:5 speakers as surrounds will end up resolving whatever duplicate rooms issue you have. If it does not, then I would probably submit a diagnostic here (or call tech support) so that Sonos support can see what's going on in your system.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/141?language=en_US

Sidenote: It's general agreed around here that play:5s are overkill for use as surround sounds. When playing music they'll be great (in full stereo setting), but they will not be fully utilized as surround speakers with the TV. You may want to consider using your play:1s as surround speakers with the Beam and then have the play:5s on the deck and kitchen respectively. Just a thought.
You are correct, the rooms are:
Kitchen
Deck
Living Room
Living Room (can be any name)
Beam (also in the Living Room)

Regarding the surround sound, the living room is large about 22' x 25' and the ceiling is about 20' high. The paired 5's sit on a ledge at ~10' high. They are great for music so far. This house has hard wood floors and we just moved in so no rug yet. The reason I mention that is the TV sits in a corner and we struggled with 2 different TVs to clearly hear the voice audio from TV speakers. I think it was echoing and cancelling out, so possibly getting a rug will help. Hence, I convinced the wife we needed a Beam. I don't have to have surround sound, not a big "action movie - crank it up" type, but its still definitely cool now and then. My belief was that I could have surround sound AND use the 5's separately (alone), so maybe I should just kill the surround sound idea and group the 5's in occasionally. The Beam has fixed the problem with having clear voice audio. Anyway, I'd like to see what the 3.0 would sound like, but not if I'll create another dead room.
So, one more time. Why can't I just delete a room? And how do I tell Sonos that the speaker is part of Kitchen again?

I moved a speaker to the garage to see if it would work that far from the router. It did, so I named it Garage. Then plugged the speaker back in the Kitchen. The only way to play them together again is to combine Garage and Kitchen.

I enjoy the speakers, hate the software.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Surely all you need do is rename it? And maybe run Trueplay again.
Thanks nik. I'm really not trying to be sarcastic, but what I want to do is delete the Garage, not rename it. And make that speaker a member of the Kitchen again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
NMNM - Is the stereo pairing failing when you try it? What is the error message you are getting?
So....you can't have two mono speakers in the same "room". If you're going to re-add your current "garage" room speaker to the kitchen, where there's already a speaker, you'd need to add it as a stereo pair.

Or, if you do want 2 mono speakers in the same physical room, you'd just need to rename the other room to something like "Kitchen 2" and group "Kitchen" and "Kitchen 2" together. They'd stay grouped until there was a software update, or a power outage.
Note that I use the term "room" above as the logical use that Sonos software does, not in terms of a physical room. You can put as many speakers as you like in the same physical room. It's Sonos software that restricts a logical "room" to a mono speaker, a stereo set of speakers, or a soundbar (with SUB for all rooms, and surrounds in the soundbar room).
One final addendum (I hope...I keep thinking of things!)

Because the "room" name is merely a text string that is shown to a user, it's actually possible to have 2 rooms with the same name in the software. The software considers them separate rooms, probably looking at some numeric name, and just presents you the text string in the controller. But if you were to name two different rooms "kitchen", you'd still have to group them together, it wouldn't happen automatically because you named them the same.
Wow, you guys are over-thinking this to the power of 10. How about right-click on Garage, and the option "delete" appears?

How about right click on a speaker, and the option "move to another room" appears?

I really hope that this does not come across as nasty, it's not meant to be. Geez...