Delay with the Start of Spotify songs is as much as 15 seconds (music advances, no sound)`

• 30 May 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Over the last 6 - 9 months we have seen this issue intermittently. 

1. From Sonos Controller search for artist on Spotify (has also happened starting music from Spotify app - we have a paid subscription)
  2. choose artist
  3. select either Artist radio or an album by the artist or top tracks of artist

RESULTS: time bar in Sonos Controller shows the song is playing, but no sound is coming out of speakers. About 8 - 15 seconds (as per the time bar) audio comes out of the speakers at that point in the song. To be clear, there is not a delay in the start of the song, the audio starts 8 - 15 seconds into the song. Example, Bob Dylan’s Hurricane start playing audio at the words “Valentine from the upper hall

Captured a recent diagnostic when it was happening - hopefully it shows something - 1020475143

NOTES: When this starts happening, it can go on for days or weeks. That includes total stops in using Sonons, changing to different music sources (TuneIn Radio, Sirius, Amazon Music), alarm starting the Sonos, Timer ending music playing. Both the starting and the stopping of the issue don’t seem to have anything that points to an issue - starts on its own, stops doing it on its own. For example, it was working fine the last two days, and then started to do it this morning (same artist radio).

ENVIRONMENT: has happened with grouped and non-grouped speakers, Current setup for Diagnostics - primary speaker of group (“Office - Play 3) is connected to ethernet and same hub it is connected to is showing PCs working fine. Connected to this group at this time are:

• “Living Area” - 2 Play 1’s 
  • “Parental Room” - 2 play 1s
  • “TV Room”: sound bar, sub-woofer, 2 play 1’s

POTENTIALLY RELATED THREADS WITH NO SOLUTIONS:

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

It’ll probably be a local wireless network congestion issue of some kind. While you’re awaiting analysis of your diagnostic have you tried simply changing your SonosNet channel, via Settings/System/Network?

My initial thoughts are you may have wireless interference issues, have you ensured that your router is using a non-overlapping ‘fixed’ 2.4Ghz  WiFi channel 1, 6 or 11 ..and also ensured the SonosNet channel is set at least 5 channels away from the chosen router channel.

edit: Ah @ratty beat me to it.👍

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thanks all for the replies…

RATTY and KEN - wouldn’t a network issue affect all my sources? YouTube and Amazon don’t show the lag. I do have the Sonos on its own channel and away from everything else.

Thanks again 

Thanks all for the replies…

RATTY and KEN - wouldn’t a network issue affect all my sources? YouTube and Amazon don’t show the lag. I do have the Sonos on its own channel and away from everything else.

Thanks again 

It may depend on the playback method you are using. Some audio sources to Sonos products can be ‘direct’ or ‘indirect’. Are the sources you mention (YouTube/Amazon) streaming direct to the speaker using the Sonos App ‘remote’, or are they playing ‘indirectly’ through/via a mobile device, using ‘Airplay’ for example?

Either way, I think it’s still worth initially quickly checking the local network settings.

It’s helpful to know what the current WiFi Network/SonosNet settings are that you are using? (channels/channel-width, distance of wired player from router etc.)

I appreciate other suggestions can perhaps be made later, but I would certainly start with the basics first and to try to rule out the potential of the issue arising from network interference.