Question

cutting out / dropping

• 12 October 2019
  • 9 replies

Badge
Diagnostics 1757633100

As with others, constantly dropping out while using sonos. Wi-Fi set to channel 1 and no interference according to analyser

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Weekend support here is iffy, see the contact page for direct 24x7 connections to Sonos support.

Other users (mostly who is here) can't see your diagnostic. If you want us to chip in our suggestions give us as much information as possible.
Loofah,

You may not get Sonos Support Staff to examine your diagnostic until you contact them. Here is a 24/7 Sonos Customer Care link for you to get in touch...

Sonos Customer Care

I have also included a couple of further links below which you may find useful...

WiFi Interference

Network Stability
Badge
HAppy to provide further details, what do you need to know? The network hasn't changed ecently and it was previously stable. Wifi analyser shows zero conflicting wifi signals
HAppy to provide further details, what do you need to know? The network hasn't changed ecently and it was previously stable. Wifi analyser shows zero conflicting wifi signals
Loofa,

Some quick questions for you to perhaps consider...

• Describe your network setup and make of router.
  • Any access points/extenders etc?
  • If the Wifi channels are fixed, or auto-selected.
  • If you run your Sonos system using SonosNet and identify the chosen channel.
  • How many (and types) of Sonos devices in the household and how far from router?
  • If you have reserved the Sonos IP addresses in your routers DHCP server reservation table.
  • State the audio source that drops out regularly?
  • If the problematic audio source plays okay on your mobile or any other devices.
  • Any other wireless devices near your speakers and if they are using the 2.4ghz or 5ghz bands
  • Any other info you feel may assist.
Badge
OK, have tried to answer as best I can below -

• Describe your network setup and make of router. Home setup, TalkTalk provider with their hub SAGEMCOM FAST 5364
  • Any access points/extenders etc? Yes, TPlink powerline adapter AV600 pair, although dropping out started prior to using them
  • If the Wifi channels are fixed, or auto-selected.Fixed channel 1
  • If you run your Sonos system using SonosNet and identify the chosen channel. No, I use wifi only
  • How many (and types) of Sonos devices in the household and how far from router? 2. one 5 and one 3; both pretty close
  • If you have reserved the Sonos IP addresses in your routers DHCP server reservation table. No
  • State the audio source that drops out regularly? TuneIn radio
  • If the problematic audio source plays okay on your mobile or any other devices. Yes
  • Any other wireless devices near your speakers and if they are using the 2.4ghz or 5ghz bands None
  • Any other info you feel may assist.
Loofah,

Are you using the powerline adapters with any of your Sonos products and/or do they broadcast their own WiFi Hotspot signal in addition to the use as a straightforward Ethernet powerline adapter?
Badge
Powerlines not used with Sonos but they do broadcast their own wifi signal. The dropouts started prior to me buying them however.
Loofah,

I would just ensure those powerline WiFi Signals are operating on a different SSID and more importantly set their WiFi channels so that they are at least 5 channels away from the main router... The following information may also hopefully prove useful to solve your dropout issues...

In addition to simply changing/testing the three SonosNet channels, consider changing the 2.4ghz WiFi channel on your router too, but importantly ensure the SonosNet channel is always set at least 5 channels away from the chosen main router WiFi channel and your powerline adapters broadcasting WiFi..

If can be helpful to run your Sonos devices on SonosNet, with one, or more, speakers wired to the local network, but if (and only if) you do choose to do that, then ensure you do not have the routers WiFi credentials stored in the Sonos App “Settings/System/Network/Wireless Setup”, as they are not required when running a Sonos system with a Sonos device cabled to the network.

Also ensure that all Sonos devices are set a few feet away from any 'other' devices that connect wirelessly to the local network, that also includes keeping a Sonos product away from the main router.

These two links are also worth a read, perhaps?...

WiFi Interference

Network Stability

Hope those things will assist. 👍
Badge

I moved the router channel to 1 as it doesn’t have any interference, the powerline adapters are set to use channel 11 and I’m not using SonosNet as there’s nowhere to run a line in. Guess it’s one of those things and I’ll have to put up with it.