Answered

current Sonos One on S1 app

Hello,

id like to purchase and add more Sonos Ones too my setup. I’m stuck on S1 because I have multiple connect amps.

Sonos’ official compatibility list says the currently sold One gen 2 works on both S1 and S2. However the shop FAQ for the One gen 2 answers “will it work with S1?” by ambiguously stating “it requires the latest version of the app”

This makes it sound like you need S2. Anyone know the truth?

I assume it will work but it’s just more unscrupulous pressure to throw out our old systems and buy all new devices

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 13 August 2022, 14:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Sonos Ones (gen1/gen2) will work on S1 or S2. The New Sonos One SL speakers will only work on S2.

If a Sonos One (gen1/gen2) is purchased ‘used’ and has previously been used on S2 - you will need to follow the instructions below to use it on S1…

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/5097

I’ve the same problem and I cannot add my 5th Sonos ONE speaker to the S1 app.

I just bought it (Sept 2022) so I assume it is the Sonos ONE SL and when adding it, it says it works only with S2. I’m not replacing a perfectly working old amp just because Sonos is forcing me.
I will rather send the new speaker back and switch to a more serious vendor.

I’ve the same problem and I cannot add my 5th Sonos ONE speaker to the S1 app.

I just bought it (Sept 2022) so I assume it is the Sonos ONE SL and when adding it, it says it works only with S2. 

Well surely you know whether you bought a One SL or a One? The latter has a microphone for voice control. 

As already noted, a One SL with S2 can’t be downgraded to S1. However a One can.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/5097

I check and it is a Sonos ONE Gen 2. 
Not the SL. 

I will also download the S2 app and attempt a downgrade but for the record this is not the user experience I was used with Sonos. A premium product with a premium price has to work out of the box. If Somos requires his customers to be more patient and spend time downgrading, then it should also lower the premium price. 

I will also download the S2 app and attempt a downgrade but for the record this is not the user experience I was used with Sonos. A premium product with a premium price has to work out of the box. If Somos requires his customers to be more patient and spend time downgrading, then it should also lower the premium price. 

The S2 App doesn’t have a feature to downgrade a product to a version the app doesn’t support.  As the support article stated, you downgrade a product to S1 in the S1 app, but you also need to do a factory reset.

S2 is the OS Sonos is using going forward and the vast majority of customers are operating on..  It would be ridiculous for them to sell speakers with S1 and force the majority of users to upgrade.  The only other alternatives would be to sell S1 and S2 versions of the Sonos One, even though they are the exact same hardware.  Maybe they could do that for their own website, but certainly not an option for other retailers or users who buy used.  

Of course they could just remove the ability to downgrade to S1 entirely too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The S2 App doesn’t have a feature to downgrade a product to a version the app doesn’t support.  As the support article stated, you downgrade a product to S1 in the S1 app, but you also need to do a factory reset.

I'm pretty sure that's actually how you do do it now - in the S2 App, not the S1.

EDIT: If you're only an S1 user you now need to install the S2 App and do it from there.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/5097?language=en_US

I'm pretty sure that's actually how you do do it now - in the S2 App, not the S1.

EDIT: If you're only an S1 user you now need to install the S2 App and do it from there.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/5097?language=en_US

Correct. The S1 app can’t talk to S2 devices. The S2 app obviously can, so it’s logical that it’s used to initiate the downgrade.

You’re right, I’m wrong.  Thanks for the correction.

Thanks everyone!