Question

crossfade doesn't always operate correctly on all players

• 3 November 2016
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Guys i need help.. I'm starting a new thread because my old one didn't gain any traction.
The crossfade function doesn't always work correctly on all players. All my players are grouped together, but instead of a unified crossfade, i get a 10 second silent gap on some players while the others crossfade correctly. Over the past year I have moved players around the house, some are wired and some are wireless, so it's not related to any one particular player. This happens whether I'm streaming iheartradio or Pandora, or playing mp3s off my NAS. I use the Sonos mesh network, not wifi for connectivity. I have a play1, 2 play3s, a Connect, a Connect:Amp and a Bridge. The very first time i saw the problem a year ago it was happening on a wired unit while everything else was wireless, but now it's happening on 2 wireless units which are 'between' wired units. Other than this one problem, everything works absolutely perfect so I don't really feel this is due to network issues. Every device on my network has a static or an assigned ip address to avoid any conflicts. This problem is very random, sometimes every few songs but then it's fine for a while.. I cannot see any pattern in source or configuration whatsoever. This is extremely annoying and ruining an otherwise perfect listening experience. I'd be happy to submit a diagnostic if nobody can figure it out, but I really need to get this working correctly somehow. Thanks guys!

Edit: I just noticed someone else recently reported the same issue.. https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/play-1-cuts-at-the-end-the-songs-6748014

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi T00LF00L,

Players each perform the crossfade function on their own even when grouped. The fade should be ~12 seconds depending on how much of the audio buffer each player has received. So long as your players are getting enough data fast enough, they should all be buffering exactly the same timing. If there is some network latency or trouble this could cause some players not to get enough audio to have the same buffer as others. Naturally, it also depends on what audio content is playing, there's more of a buffer for local MP3 versus a radio stream.

This is all how it's "supposed" to work. But we'll definitely want to take a closer look at what you're seeing on your side, just in case something isn't working right. Do you mind sending in that diagnostic the next time you hear some trouble with the crossfade? Any specifics you can provide would be great, such as what rooms had trouble and what exactly you noticed.

P.S. I'm also keeping an eye on that other thread too. If there's an issue here we'll be passing it on to the team to take a closer look.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Thanks Ryan. I kind of figured that is the way crossfade worked from the way they're acting, and I have noticed it happens a lot less frequently when streaming MP3 vs say Pandora. Perhaps I'm assuming too much it's not a network issue because everything works flawlessly with crossfade turned off. The play1 is in a bathroom so I could see the potential for a weak signal, however the play3 is on top of my fridge about 15 feet away from a wired Connect in direct line of sight. It seems odd everything works so well otherwise if poor connection turns out to be the issue. I guess I can try placing my bridge in a different location, perhaps I can somehow get it in the center of the house, but what didn't make sense to me is the fact that my first encounter with this issue a year ago was in fact on a wired unit?.. I'll experiment a little more and report back.

On a side note.. I love all the recent improvements to the controller! You guys have definitely made major improvements to the ease of operation since the whole v5 debacle! Thank you very much, it's greatly appreciated! 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks T00LF00L for the details. I've also reached out to the team on our side to have them do a bit more investigating on this just in case. Let me know how it goes, and as usual, diagnostics will help a lot.
Hi T00LF00L,

Players each perform the crossfade function on their own even when grouped. The fade should be ~12 seconds depending on how much of the audio buffer each player has received. So long as your players are getting enough data fast enough, they should all be buffering exactly the same timing. If there is some network latency or trouble this could cause some players not to get enough audio to have the same buffer as others. Naturally, it also depends on what audio content is playing, there's more of a buffer for local MP3 versus a radio stream.

This is all how it's "supposed" to work. But we'll definitely want to take a closer look at what you're seeing on your side, just in case something isn't working right. Do you mind sending in that diagnostic the next time you hear some trouble with the crossfade? Any specifics you can provide would be great, such as what rooms had trouble and what exactly you noticed.

P.S. I'm also keeping an eye on that other thread too. If there's an issue here we'll be passing it on to the team to take a closer look.
I'm having the same problem. Random songs on Apple Music don't fade right. I have 2 play 5 gen 2 and 2 play 1s. One of the play 1or the left channel goes down in cross over and comes back in abruptly. Random.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I'm having the same problem. Random songs on Apple Music don't fade right. I have 2 play 5 gen 2 and 2 play 1s. One of the play 1or the left channel goes down in cross over and comes back in abruptly. Random.

Thanks, next time you notice mind doing the same as I suggested above? You can submit a diagnostic and let us know any details you can about the issue.
Just sent a diagnostic. 6726906. Apple Music
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Just sent a diagnostic. 6726906. Apple Music

Thanks, just a couple things standing out on the environment we'll want to correct to see if they help on that diagnostic. Can you check on your router if you're able to change the channel? The D290 network seems to be broadcasting on the same channel as a number of others nearbye. The best channel looks like channel 11, there isn't much on that channel. If you can go into the router's settings and under wireless network check if you can change the channel to 11 please.

Also, it'd be good to reboot the wireless router and then your Sonos players. Most critically, the Kitchen (L) needs a restart.

Thanks and let us know how it goes.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
I'm still experimenting, but I did have a couple questions..

-You stated that if there's too much latency the players won't receive enough data to buffer, so would this be my latency in my wifi or within the Sonos mesh network?
-If I have some wired units, does the wifi even play any part besides connecting the controller to the system? All music data is transmitted on the mesh network, correct?
-And does it make a difference which player is the main, with the others grouped to that one, and whether that main is wired or not?

I'm trying to understand exactly how they all communicate with each other and how they each receive their data. I wired a Connect:Amp that I thought was wired but had been disconnected.. This change actually caused one player to get worse (the one closest to it) while the other started working properly. So I made this one problematic unit the main of the group and didn't see any change for a couple days, but then they all started working correctly. For a few days now all 5 players have been working perfectly but this doesn't really seem to correspond to the changes I made?
I have a feeling my troubles will also come down to interference.. I have 2 wifi routers, one on each end of the house for better coverage but I still have issues with my other devices connecting. To fix that I have a brand new 3-pack box of Luma wifi's sitting here that I haven't even opened yet. I probably should have started there dummy!..
Thanks for any info Ryan!