Question

Crackling speaker

• 8 May 2019
  • 2 replies

Hello. I have a Sonos Play: 5 and it crackles randomly, with increasing regularity. I've had it for years and use it as a stereo system in my study alongside a Play: 3, which still works fine. I have to unplug and then plug it in again, which is not ideal. Diagnostic number: 208859434. Please help. Thanks, Oliver

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you don't get a response in 24hrs then you should call Sonos. This forum isn't monitored 24/7 by Sonos Tech support. You can also try Twitter which is 24/7.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Similar to a lightbulb, if a speaker is physically broken it is likely to remain broken 100% of the time. If a light bulb burns out, no matter how many times you flip the light switch, the light bulb will not light. For instance, if a speaker is encountering physical hardware issues it won't cause audio issues sometimes, it will fail reliably.

In this particular case, since the problems are random and intermittent, it leads me to believe that the problem is not with the hardware itself but rather the signal that is being received. The diagnostic report you submitted shows no errors or hardware faults on the Play:5 and, in turn, furthers my suspicion.

That said, what content do you play on the Play:5? Does the crackling happen regardless of the source of the audio? If the problem is with a particular audio source, it may be a good idea to look closer at the connection between the two (speaker & source).

As usual, our support team is available to walk through troubleshooting this specific case with you whenever you have an opportunity to troubleshoot. Check out this page for our contact information.