Answered

Crackling sound

I’m getting crackling sound on my Sonos Playbar. It happens during Game of Thrones Season 8 Episode 2, only. I submitted diagnostic information (1718969641). Could it be isolated only to this episode?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 14 May 2019, 22:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

This has been problem for over a year that has not been solved. no one will help you no matter what you do. I have the same issues and so do tons of others.
As an opposing view, it's possible it's an issue with the broadcast. You should test to see if it crackles on other programs and channels. If so, it might be worth it if you were to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of recreating this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. I tend to suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

There's no guaranty, as many issues like this might have more than one cause, and what fixes one might not fix another.
I started to experience the same issue, but when it crackles, my TV turns off and then turns on immediately. As soon as that happened I submitted a diagnostic 264113540 within 10 minutes of happening. It happens 3 to 4 times a day and started about 1 week ago. Do I have to do anything else?
If you're willing to wait until a Sonos Community Forum moderator gets a chance to see this, no, you don't need to do anything else. If you're interested in a more timely response, I'd contact Sonos Support to discuss it. I tend to suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi @goguito

When it comes to problems regarding audio quality from TV sources, you want to focus on the connection between the Sonos speaker and the source (your TV). Based on the diagnostic report you submitted, Sonos is seeing the stereo signal from your TV with no problem. So let's go further "up the chain".

The next thing to look at is the cable itself. Are there any kinks or physical damage to the cable? Have you tried another cable (assuming you have one available)?

If the cable checks out and isn't the source of the problem, we will want to have a closer look at the fault at the moment it happens. By submitting a diagnostic report immediately after the problem occurs, you take a snapshot of your Sonos system. This is something you will want to share with our technical support team, just as @Airgetlam suggested. They are able to have a closer look at the error logs and advise on next steps.
Badge +1
[I have this issue too, and I am working with Mark from tech support via email. So I don't need support to help me here, I'm just posting so the community can benefit from the troubleshooting Mark and I do.]

Like dozens of other users, I've been experiencing this problem on and off for quite some time (search for 'crackling' here in the forums). I'm in the beta program and have been working in tech my entire life -- I apologize for the length of this post, but I want to be thorough. I'll try not to waste anyone's time with future follow-ups. 😉

I can't know if the suite of symptoms are the same for everyone, but based on what people have posted the problems seem identical. I also get occasional ~1s silent drop-outs from my left surround (might be both), which a subset of users have reported along with the crackling problem (I suspect a minority of users have surrounds, so it's possible, and I think likely, that this is the same issue). But the main issue is an occasional loud crackling sound from the Playbar added to the audio.

Unfortunately troubleshooting is hard because it doesn't happen every day, maybe once every week or two. But when it starts it continues until I stop playback, and it often comes back later during the viewing session. I don't recall if power-cycling the TV or source fixes it for longer, so I will test that carefully next time it happens.

Here's the configurations I've tried that have exhibited the problem:
Physical configuration: [source device] --HDMI--> Vizio D70-F3 TV --TOSLINK--> Playbar (with 2 Play:1 surrounds)
Source devices: PS4 Pro, Nvidia Shield TV, Vizio's internal SmartCast
Source content*: HBO, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Video, YouTube
Audio format settings (e.g. PCM, Dolby Digital): AUTO on both the TV and source

I have played with various other settings and configurations (PCM, direct optical from PS4, TV's volume leveling) over the last week, but the problem hasn't recurred yet -- this is not surprising, it would often be weeks between occurrences.

I should point out that I use my Playbar and its surrounds for music far more than watching TV, and the problem has never happened when listening to music. This leads me to consider the TV as my prime suspect, because the audio travels through it when watching video. But since people have had this problem with various brands of TV, this isn't as simple as "my TV is broken".

Here's where things get very interesting to me: One time on a hunch, after I cleared the problem by stopping the video and restarting it, I rewound the movie to exactly the spot the crackling began, and the crackling started again at the exact same moment in the movie. I tried rewinding a couple of times to confirm it consistently happened every time, and it did. I wish I remembered to try this more often; I know I confirmed it one more time with different content.

So my hunch is that the issue is a misunderstanding of the audio stream by the Playbar, as has been suggested by support on other cases, and the problem happens when there's some specific sound** in the stream. I will work with support until we can definitively identify the culprit, regardless of where the problem lies.

Next time it happens I will:
  • create and submit a diagnostic report (of course)
  • rewind and confirm the problem begins at the same point in the video
  • if so, watch the same show/movie from another content source (e.g. if I'm watching a movie on Netflix, I'll rent it on Vudu or Amazon and try again and see if the crackling starts at the same point. (I'm OK to spend a few bucks on troubleshooting)
  • test if there's a difference between restarting the stream vs rebooting the source/tv in terms of how long it takes for the problem to recur
  • [anything promising suggested by users in response to this post]
Thanks for reading, and I hope I can post the definitive solution when we figure it out.

* Although the problem has been happening for a very long time, I can't be 100% sure it happens with every combination of source device and content. I know it happens on multiple devices, and with multiple video sources.
** This is why my strongest suspicion is some kind of processing the TV does to the audio. Specifically, perhaps the volume-leveling feature. If it was just the codec (PCM, Dolby Digital) I would have thought the problem would constantly happen as soon as the playback starts, but I'm not an expert in that kind of thing.
Badge +1

The noise happened again so I submitted a diagnostic. Support has suggested the problem may be interference (that seems to be the first potential culprit for every problem), but that doesn't seem likely.

The Network Matrix (http://192.168.1.213:1400/support/review) shows all the SonosNet connections are solid

(Not being a SonosNet expert, I'm interpreting this based on: https://bsteiner.info/articles/hidden-sonos-interface )

So I still suspect the TV is messing up the audio as it travels from the source HDMI to the optical out to the playbar.

After the next time the problem happens I will let it run a long time so the next diagnostic I submit will have more information, and maybe something that points us in the right direction.

If we're still nowhere, I will connect optical from my PS4Pro to the Playbar, bypassing the TV.

I'm going to figure this out 🙂

*Moderator Note: Please censor personal information when posting pictures.*

Thanks for trying to figure it out.. but if hasn't been fixed after all this time.. i dont think it will be fixed.
I was having the same issues with my Play:1 speakers. I resolved it by removing them from my system and adding back again. However, my Playbar is crackling now (or always was but thought it was only the Play:1s). I completely redid my Sonos setup using factory reset. Play:1 still not crackling, but Playbar continues to crackle with certain background sounds or music.

Diagnostic code: 498824931.

Same issue…

Swapped out cables..

Used different HDMI port

Same stream plays on TV speakers without problem..

My conclusion based on everything I read here and other sites is that this is a permamnent issue with Sonos device and Sonos is basically just playing fumb…

Diag report: 1021398178

Sonos -never again.

Badge

Have a symfonisk bookshelf speaker. Plugged power into bathroom wall outlet. Get static and loss of signal   Mostly when using SiriusXM. Have beam and two play 1s in living room with tv and router. Then another symfonisk in kitchen. Submitted diagnostic 1014997113. 

It's an issue with heat dissipation where components get too warm after a while causing disruption on higher notes… Basically bad design and lack of testing by sonos is the problem...

Touch the bottom of your speaker when this happens and see for your self.

Sonos can't fix it so they decided to continue playing dumb.

Remember this next time you are in the market for new speakers folks.

Hi @jrg1017. Thank for the post and welcome to the Community.

It seems from the diagnostic that you Airplay to the Symphosk speaker. Is that the case?

Airplay does use a considerable amount of bandwidth.

To test if the buffering you experience is due to bandwidth constriction, would you be able to stream from the Sonos app directly and let me know if the cutouts are also present?

Badge

Hi @jrg1017. Thank for the post and welcome to the Community.

It seems from the diagnostic that you Airplay to the Symphosk speaker. Is that the case?

Airplay does use a considerable amount of bandwidth.

To test if the buffering you experience is due to bandwidth constriction, would you be able to stream from the Sonos app directly and let me know if the cutouts are also present?

Thank you Adam S.

I was able to use the sonos app and stream with more consistency. However, I do lose functionality that is in the Sirius app.  Do you know if I need to improve my wifi speed in order to use airplay more consistently?

Or any other suggestions?

Regards - Jeremy

Badge

I updated my Apple Airport Extreme 2nd generation wireless router settings to 802.11n 5G signal, this increased my wifi speed into the 50-70Mbps, this has solved any of the airplay connection issues. 

Hope this can help others with the issue.

One of my Sonos One Gen 2 have cracking sound when playing music. I've tried different songs and different outlets, no change at all.

Diagnostic code: 533170688

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Pockets.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us and submitting a diagnostic.

I would like to share with you that based on the submitted diagnostic, there is no documentation showing any hardware failures on your Sonos devices. The crackling sound could be a possible issue of having a ripped or damaged speaker. I would suggest contacting our technical support team for a more in-depth troubleshooting step or possible product replacement.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Have two Sonos One (Gen 2) and a sonos beam, but the issue is only with my two sonos one - I hear crackling every time I turn audio on/off and when I’m scrolling between apps on tv etc. I hear crackling sounds during movies in netflix and other apps. it doesnt matter which volume level I’m on.  
When i’m only listening to Spotify -there  is no issues. 

I have a samsung tv uhd

help pls

Diagnostic code: 1824769829

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @patko.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us and submitting a diagnostic. I understand that it can be quite a hassle and frustrating on trying to figure out what is causing that crackling sound especially if it is present in all situations when watching TV but not on music playback. Let me help you out.

I would like to ask some questions to better understand what is going on. The diagnostic submitted shows that the audio format at the time it was submitted was in silenced mode. meaning the audio format is not supported.

• Since you have mentioned this crackling sound is present in TV apps, Is it also present on a regular satellite program?
  • Do we have a crackling sound when connected to a cable box (if applicable)?
  • It is very helpful that you have mentioned it is not present when listening to music as this means there is no problem with the device itself.
  • Can we check if the TV audio format is set to either PCM or Dolby Digital and not DTS as Sonos currently does not support DTS audio format?
  • Only if applicable, Can we try unplugging the Sonos Beam from power and plugging it back after 10-15 seconds and observe if the crackling sound is still there?
  • Can we check if the Sonos Beam is connected to the ARC port of the TV?
  • Can we try to unplug and plug back the HDMI cable from the back of the TV and the Sonos Beam and check if the issue still persists?
  • If we are using the optical to HDMI adapter, Can we try to check if it fits snuggly at the back of the TV and on the HDMI cable from the Beam? can we also try to plug and unplug the optical to HDMI adapter as well?
  • Since when did the issue start to happen?
  • Were there any noticeable changes prior it was still working and the moment it stopped working?
  • Can we also check if the TV’s software is up to date?
  • Can we try any other video source available aside from the TV in-app after checking the audio format from the TV settings?

The more information you provide, the more we can better understand what the situation is and how to proceed.

Please let us know how it goes. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Thanks for the reply!

I’ve never had an issue with the beam and speakers- ever! They worked perfectly then suddenly I started to hear static noises every time I pushed my remote controls buttons and then it appeared  during movies/games (and only from the Sonos ones). 

I tried on PCM and Dolby Digital and it doesn’t make any difference at all. 

To be more specific..

My 2 main issues are 1): every time I scroll and push a button on the controller, I can hear like two ‘click click’ sounds but it sounds like static clicks.

(2) static sounds when I’m watching movies and now I hear it when I’m playing games on my ps4 (in between games when loading and in-game).

I do not have cable box or satellite so can’t test that. 

Unplugged the beam- issue (1,2) is still there. 

Beam is connected to ARC Port.

Unplugged Sonos beams HDMI cable. Same issue. 

Tv is up to date.

Tried optical and HDMI plug in/unplugging to test every option and the issue is still there.

When I am on my PS4 I also hear crackling/static sounds during games.. when not playing and I’m at the starting page, I hear (not loud but audible) crackling noises that comes and goes. (PCM/Dolby made no difference)…

Super confused why it came suddenly… I’ve had sonos for only like 6-7 months… my tv is new as well as the speakers.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @patko.

Thanks for the detailed update and immediate response.

I would like to recommend contacting our technical support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps or to check if there are any hardware failures on your Sonos devices. The crackling sound could be a possible issue of having a ripped or damaged speaker. I would also like to suggest submitting a diagnostic while the cracking sound is present so that they can further check what might be causing this issue (if possible).

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

I just recently brought a brand-new Sonos ARC - And as I was playing one of the high-definition Movies /audios, there was a crackling noise at different intervals, it also happened when I was listening to the radio. Any thoughts on what I need to do or do I need to replace the unit? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

HI @Rely.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for bringing this to our attention. I understand your situation so let me help you out.

I would still recommend the same instruction I provided above. This is to address the issue and situation you have with your Sonos immediately. 

Hi @patko.

Thanks for the detailed update and immediate response.

I would like to recommend contacting our technical support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps or to check if there are any hardware failures on your Sonos devices. The crackling sound could be a possible issue of having a ripped or damaged speaker. I would also like to suggest submitting a diagnostic while the cracking sound is present so that they can further check what might be causing this issue (if possible).

Thanks,

Thanks,