Question

Cracking / Static sound from Play 1 Surrounds

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I have an Arc 5.1 setup with 2 x Play 1’s as rear surrounds. When watching movies with the volume up a bit, I’m getting cracking / static and popping type sounds from the Play 1 surrounds occasionally. Not sure if this is some sort of network interference issue or something else. 

Diagnostic number is 2122027604 if Sonos support could be please take a look. The support email option seems to be unavailable currently.

25 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @starlan,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We highly appreciate this.

I would like to provide some details on how to double check if this is a possible hardware failure or just an audio part of the surround audio from the movie source.

1. I would try to play music only on the surround set up and check if the issue re-occurs. If it does not, then audio heard might be part of the surround audio from the movie. Otherwise, try the next step.
  2. I would try to remove surrounds and then try to set them up as a new room and play music. You have the option to set them as individual music speakers or stereo pairs.
  3. If during the stereo pair scenario or individual music speakers, the issue re-occurs. Please contact our customer service phone support for some more in-dept troubleshooting steps or a possible replacement. They are open Mondays through Fridays from 10:00 AM to 10:00PM EST.
  4. The diagnostics provided also shows no audio issues and no hardware failures (internal components) on your Sonos Play 1s.

Please let me know how it goes. We’re always here to help.

Thanks,

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks, I am contact with Sonos Support via email now and we are trouble shooting. The speakers were actually just recently removed and added as surrounds since they used to be paired to a Beam and I have since replaced that with an Arc. The issue actually does occur playing music directly from the Sonos app via Apple Music too. Less frequent but can occur, especially when I first start playing something after they have been idle for a while. I think it’s likely network interference issues.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

I get this too with a Sonos One in surrounds, I thought it was the setup I was using as I had an HDMI ARC to optical converter for a Playbar, but have moved to a Beam and not use it via HDMI ARC directly to to TV.

i find it seems to be when the surround speaker wakes up or changes codec.

Navigating around Apple TV with the clicks seems to be the worst for it.

I used to use Play 1’s in this set up and they did not have this issue.

dont have this issue with the Arc in the living room with play 1’s, or when it was a Beam beforehand.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Yeah I thought that too initially. In my case however I am playing some music right now via the Sonos app through Apple Music and the surrounds are making crackling and static like popping sounds here and there. If it was a network bandwidth issue I would expect the other devices to have the problem too but it seems to be only reserved to the surrounds. 

I just removed them as surrounds and setup as a separate stereo paired room and no issues. Reconnected them back as surrounds to the Arc and Sub and the issue returns. I also tried Trueplay on and off and it’s not that either. In fact I got the popping and crackling from the surrounds as I was performing Trueplay to pair them back with the Arc.

So I have no clue why this is happening basically as it seems to happen only when they are used as surrounds.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Diagnostics 727236712

I turned on the navigation clicks on Apple TV which makes it easier to highlight and replicate the issue.

I tried to change the audio output on the AppleTV from DD5.1 to Stereo to Auto and it made not difference, I still get the clicking static sounds.

i have a audio recording of the clicks if you need them

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @BMF.

Thanks for sharing your concern here on the community. 

I would like to clarify if you are able to experience this static sound from a music source ( either from bonded surrounds or via individual music speaker or stereo pair).

Based on information gathered from the diagnostic submitted, only the Sonos Arc and Sonos One (kitchen Sonos)  show wireless interference.

• I would like to recommend going through the wireless interference guide on how to reduce this issue for a more stable audio quality feedback.
  • If during the stereo pair scenario or individual music speakers, the issue re-occurs. Please contact our customer service phone support for some more in-depth troubleshooting steps or a possible replacement. They are open Mondays through Fridays from 10:00 AM to 10:00PM EST.

@starlan 

Thanks for the feedback.

How did it go with the Sonos support troubleshooting steps? What were the recommendations and results to minimize or address the crackling or static sound?

If the issue was addressed we would highly appreciate it if you could share with us what was done to address this issue?

Thanks,

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @Paul A thanks for the info, it’s odd that the Arc and Kitchen speakers are reporting issues as I have never had problems with those.

Will try music and play a bit more to see if I can reproduce it without the TV

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @BMF.

You’re welcome. 

Please let me know how it goes and if the issue re-occurs while playing music. If it does, try going through reducing wireless interference, and by that time, if the issue still re-occurs I would try to reach out to our  customer service phone support for some more in-depth troubleshooting steps or a possible replacement. They are open Mondays through Fridays from 10:00 AM to 10:00PM EST.

Thanks,

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi @Paul A. I’m still emailing back and forth. No solution yet. Bit frustrating as they’re telling me to do basic things like make sure Dolby Digital is being sent from my TV, etc.

So I’m not getting anywhere yet. Doesn’t help probably that a different customer service rep is responding each time I write back too. I will try messing with the WiFi channels (believe my router is set to Auto and I will check what the Sonos system is set to) to see if that makes a difference. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

@Paul A that link seems to take you to a different forum that needs to be logged into…. is that right?

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @starlan and @BMF .

My apologies. Here is the correct thread.

Please do not hesitate to post your results and feedback.

Thanks,

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

@Paul A , yeah ….. totally different issue.

it is a Panasonic TV and it’s outputting DD5.1, not LPCM

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @BMF.

How about if we try to check the following:

• Check if the TV itself is also set to PCM via audio quality. Since what was mentioned in the above scenario only apple TV was reconfigured from DD5.1 to PCM.
  • I would also try the basic troubleshooting steps like reboot the router, reboot the Sonos device wired to the router, then reboot the rest of the Sonos devices.
  • Try setting up the Beam on HDMI ARC if possible. It may help improve the audio quality vs using the HDMI to the optical adapter.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @Paul A 

Router etc has been restarted many times, so confident that is ok.

I will try again with the TV settings, tomorrow.

The Beam is direct to the TV via ARC, it was only the Playbar that was via the ARC extractor.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @BMF.

That sounds like a plan. Let me also share some key points.

Only the Beam is capable of connecting via HDMI and optical adapter. The Sonos Playbar’s connection is only optical cable.

Since you mentioned about the ARC extractor (a possible third party accessory) from HDMI ARC of the TV to the PLaybar and since you have mentioned that the Beam’s surrounds have issues. Can we try connecting the Beam directly to the TV via HDMI ARC if not possible then try using the HDMI to the optical adapter cable and check if the issue reoccurs. We can definitely isolate the issue if the audio feedback is from the TV or from the extractor.

Let me know how it goes. 

Thanks,

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @Paul A 

I used to own a Playbar and had it set up in the room with the Panasonic TV, with Sonos One (Gen2) this was connected to the TV via the HDMI ARC to Optical extractor. I got the clicking and assumed it was the extractor.

I sold the Playbar and replaced it in the room with a Beam connected via HDMI ARC directly to the TV (No Extractor) I still get the clicking with the Sonos Ones.

I have played with all the Apple TV and TV audio / HDMI settings and it makes no difference.

Looking at “About My System” in Sonos S2 App, it appears to be when the Sonos changes from “Silence” to whatever is playing “Dolby Digital” or “Stereo” etc.

This matches the experience in Netflix on the TV etc.

Checking Music played from the S2 App, it does not seem to do this…. so it looks like it is only audio coming from the external HDMI or Optical input.

Will test the Arc and Play 1’s

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Tested the Arc with Play 1’s and it does not to it.

Maybe it is the way the Panasonic TV is outputting the sound then?

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @BMF.

I would then suggest if you could consider changing your Sonos One as surrounds with the Sonos Play 1s since the Sonos Beam is already voice enabled and airplay capable. By this, the room where you have the Sonos Play 1s are now not only airplay capable but voice capable as well since it does not behave accordingly with the Sonos Play 1s as surrounds.

Please let me know what are your thoughts about this.

Thanks,

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @Paul A 

the Play1’s are connected as surrounds to an Arc, so already have Airplay and Alexa in that room.

They are different colours and Black surrounds in the main living room would not get “Wife Approval”, also the mounting brackets are different.

will just have to put up with it

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @BMF.

Have we tried changing TVs between the TV connected to the Sonos Arc and the TV connected to the Beam they can be both compensated or does it not help? I would also try as a last resort to Factory Data Reset both Sonos Ones, then add them back to the existing Sonos system. This is just so we can eliminate the issue of a possible audio glitch when transitioning from music source to TV audio source.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Moving the TV’s just to test would be a nightmare as one is wall mounted and he other has a stand

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @BMF.

I would like to apologize, What i was referring to (if possible was the Sonos Devices) just for the sole purpose of checking if we can isolate the issue on TV Brand or does the issue follow the Main Home Theater System (Sonos Beam with surrounds).

Let me know if this is possible. If it s, I would appreciate knowing the results.

Thanks,

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @Paul A,

can’t really swap the Beam and Arc due to the same issues with wall mounts as the TV.

But this diagnostics show the issue well as it is static and clicking all the way through.

it is the Guestroom Beam.

this is the YouTube video…. 

I think it is the move between Silence and sound when on HDMI I was watching this on the built in Panasonic YouTube app and on the Sky Q YouTube app.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

HI @BMF.

Thanks for the detailed response.

I would like to share with you the details of the diagnostics provided.

The diagnostic shows an issue  present with the signal from the Sonos Beam in relation with the 2 Sonos Ones. The diagnostic does not seem to indicate that it is a hardware failure however it seems to play and stop alternatively with in seconds interval (signal between the beam and surrounds)

I would try to reach out to our  customer service phone support for some more in-depth troubleshooting steps or a possible replacement. They are open Mondays through Fridays from 10:00 AM to 10:00PM EST. Before doing a Factory reset on the Beam as a last resort.

Please let me know if you still need further assistance.

Thanks,

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

@Paul A 

Thanks for the info