Cr200 won't connect

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

262 replies

Thanks Jeff - just did that on the playbar. And rebooted the controller again by removing battery, etc. Now same message - searching for Sonos products...ensure that all Sonos products are plugged in....
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks Jeff - just did that on the playbar. And rebooted the controller again by removing battery, etc. Now same message - searching for Sonos products...ensure that all Sonos products are plugged in....

Please try factory resetting your CR200. Once reset see if it will connect to your system. If that doesn't work we'll create a support ticket for you and get you in touch with our phone team for further troubleshooting.
Not working either 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Not working either :(

Hi JPM1,

I've created a support ticket for you: 160204-001985. Please give us a call and reference that number, we'll help get things working again. You can find our phone number and hours in your region here.
Badge
That was a internet problème and not sonos
Hi,

I have problem connecting my CR200 to my Sonos network too, because I went and disabled Sonosnet on my sonos players since they didn't play well with my L3 switch (SG300-52p) and caused dropped connections due to misconfigured RSTP. Now that all my Sonos devices run on cable (w/ sonosnet disabled), the performance and reliability have been top notch.

Can I use CR200 in this setup? I have submitted my diagnostic too: 5456704

Cheers

Hi LeoS76,

I've added the patch to your system. Please run updates on your system to get the patch. The CR200 can only connect to SonosNet wireless signals so it can connect if it is in range of your Study PLAY:3.

Hi Jeff,

Thank you kindly for the quick reply.

1). What does the patch does?
2). The CR200 is needed around my Sonos Connect area. What should I do to safely enable Sonosnet on the Connect without having STP meltdown like last time? (It reconfigured routes a few hundred times per day, if I'm not mistaken). Or should I just try to use that node with wireless only, disconnecting the cable?

Cheers
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi LeoS76,

I've added the patch to your system. Please run updates on your system to get the patch. The CR200 can only connect to SonosNet wireless signals so it can connect if it is in range of your Study PLAY:3.

Hi Jeff,

Thank you kindly for the quick reply.

1). What does the patch does?
2). The CR200 is needed around my Sonos Connect area. What should I do to safely enable Sonosnet on the Connect without having STP meltdown like last time? (It reconfigured routes a few hundred times per day, if I'm not mistaken). Or should I just try to use that node with wireless only, disconnecting the cable?

Cheers

I will try to answer your questions, about the patch, I really can't go into detail on that but see it as a communication port between our devices, this way (hopefully) we will be able to add you CR200 to you system. In order to enable the Sonosnet, simply have 1 unit wired to the network, this automatically enabled the Sonosnet. Now I have review your diagnostic again (5456704), here I see you have your components wired, however the wireless is disabled, this needs to be enabled inorder for the CR200 to work, the study (PLAY:3) is working wireless, but communicating over your own wifi, so we won't be able to add the CR200 via the PLAY:3 since it's not in Sonosnet. You can wire the PLAY:3 to the network in order to send out the Sonosnet but you're bound to approx 10 meters with the CR200 if successfully connected. This because the other units have disabled wireless cards.

I will try to answer your questions, about the patch, I really can't go into detail on that but see it as a communication port between our devices, this way (hopefully) we will be able to add you CR200 to you system. In order to enable the Sonosnet, simply have 1 unit wired to the network, this automatically enabled the Sonosnet. Now I have review your diagnostic again (5456704), here I see you have your components wired, however the wireless is disabled, this needs to be enabled inorder for the CR200 to work, the study (PLAY:3) is working wireless, but communicating over your own wifi, so we won't be able to add the CR200 via the PLAY:3 since it's not in Sonosnet. You can wire the PLAY:3 to the network in order to send out the Sonosnet but you're bound to approx 10 meters with the CR200 if successfully connected. This because the other units have disabled wireless cards.

Thanks Ryan,

As I've mentioned in my previous post, I have the wireless portion disabled because they caused loopback and messed with RSTP on my L3 switches (Cisco SG300s) and that the closest player to the CR200 area is the Connect (1st fl hall). The Play:3 is actually in the study on the 3rd floor of the building which is way out of the range of the CR200.

So I'm wondering what I should do with the Connect, so I can enable its wireless again so the CR200 can connect to it, but not cause network loopbacks clashing with my L3 manageable switches.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks Ryan,

As I've mentioned in my previous post, I have the wireless portion disabled because they caused loopback and messed with RSTP on my L3 switches (Cisco SG300s) and that the closest player to the CR200 area is the Connect (1st fl hall). The Play:3 is actually in the study on the 3rd floor of the building which is way out of the range of the CR200.

So I'm wondering what I should do with the Connect, so I can enable its wireless again so the CR200 can connect to it, but not cause network loopbacks clashing with my L3 manageable switches.

Hi LeoS76,

It should be possible to configure your switches so that enabling wireless on your Sonos units does not cause network issues. Take a look at this guide to configuring STP on Cisco switches.

If you are still having troubles with network loops after configuring your switches it may be best to continue working on the phone with our technicians.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks Ryan,

Hi LeoS76,

I should add that once your switches are configured and you are able to turn the wireless signals back on, your Sonos system will still need to have at least one wired unit in order for it to be on SonosNet. The CR200 can't connect to your system is all components are connecting wirelessly to your home network.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Hello, I am in the same boat and found this thread, looking for help.

I moved my Sonos equipment to a new home network, and now the CR200 won't connect. It remains stuck on "Searching for Sonos components..." and it doesn't let me do anything to manually reset or manually set it up fresh. Tapping "Settings" at the bottom of the screen does nothing.

I have one Sonos CONNECT that is hard-wired to my new network router. And one Sonos Play:5 speaker that is wirelessly connected, in another room. Both are working great. I just can't get this CR200 to connect or work. I suspect I need the "downgrade patch" to be applied...

Anyway, I submitted diagnostics just now and the confirmation number is 5478930. I appreciate any help!
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Anyway, I submitted diagnostics just now and the confirmation number is 5478930. I appreciate any help!

Hi Fofer, once you run updates on your Sonos system the patch should allow you to connect your CR200. Let me know how it goes.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Hello Max P, thanks for the reply.

I just checked for updates on my Sonos system; it applied updates, which then restarted my two components. Then I restarted the CR200 by removing the battery, re-inserting the battery, and placing it in the cradle. The CR200 powers up but now it's stuck on the page that says "Searching for Sonos components... The network configuration has changed. For more information, go to http://faq.sonos.com/searching"

I see a "Settings" banner at the bottom of this page, but tapping it does nothing.

Is there something else I'm supposed to be doing to get this CR200 to connect again? Thank you for any additional help.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
At this time the best would be to contact our customer care team by phone. A Sonos agent will be able to remotely connect to your PC and check both the network and Sonos system.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Thanks again, Mac P. I contacted customer care, brought "Chris R." up to speed, and he asked me a bunch of questions. I remained stuck on the "Searching" screen and tapping "Settings" would do nothing.

In the end his conclusion was that this barely-used CR200, that was working fine at its previous location, now has a non-responsive touchscreen. :-/

Chris had no explanation as to how/why this would happen spontaneously just as I was setting it up at a new location. I've since Googled and see that this is a VERY common issue and the (now discontinued) CR200 units are somewhat notorious for it: https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/dead-spots-on-cr200-14761/index1.html

In any event, Chris P. was very helpful and he explained the RMA procedure. It all sounded great to me, I was gearing up to arrange an "advance replacement" with a refundable hold being placed on my credit card until I sent the broken one back. Unfortunately the email arrived just now and I clicked the link, it explained that the device is out-of-warranty and this service wouldn't actually be free of charge, it would cost me a non-refundable $120 for a replacement, and I'd still need to send the old controller back.

I understand that these devices can't be covered under warranty forever, but it appears to me now that this is a known defect that has affected many, many customer over the years. There are some customers (in that other thread) who have has as many as 12 units replaced, many also out of warranty, free of charge. I understand I may be too late for that kind of service, or perhaps just unlucky. What I am torn about now, however, is whether or not to pay $120 for a unit that very well could spontaneously exhibit the exact same problem one day in the near future. As this product is discontinued, I don't know if Sonos has adequately addressed the problem to minimize the likelihood of it happening again.

$120 for a refurbished unit feels like a lot of money to be told to pay, for a device whose screen is notoriously flaky, that was working just fine not too long ago, and now doesn't work in my new home. Of course I can get a cheap Android tablet for much less than that, that would handle so much more. I did enjoy the idea of the dedicated Sonos hardware though.

Anyway, now I'm just venting. And wondering, will the refurbished replacement work any better, or will it have the same touchscreen problem one day, and if so, why bother? Given how prevalent this problem has been, I'm disappointed Sonos didn't issue a recall or an extended warranty to address it more appropriately. 😞
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Well, scratch the above, my frown has been turned upside down. I just called Sonos' customer care again, to inquire about this charge, because the original CSR made no mention of the out of warranty status. The second CSR I spoke to, "Andrew," couldn't have been nicer. He explained the situation, heard me out, and then offered to ask upper management if an exception could be made to place my device back "in warranty" so the replacement would be free of charge. He made no guarantees but said he'd ask, and get back to me.

A few minutes later, my phone rang and Andrew reported the good news: Sonos has agreed to take care of this situation and "make it right." I am very relieved and happy about this.

Max P and the team at Sonos, and especially Andrew, thank you. You've just made my day, and earned yourself a customer (and product evangelist) for life.
Hi, i have trouble with cr200 (its not connecting) after updating my sonos system from windows 7 sonos controller, please help, diagnostic number 5521384
I sent the diagnostic information again, number 5521529, please help
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I sent the diagnostic information again, number 5521529, please help

Hi Vasiliy,

I've added the patch to your system. Please run updates and then see if you can connect your CR200.
Hi, Jeff S, I updated my sonos system, after i reseted CR200, but it not connected, do i need factory reset CR200? Maybe its becouse i created "New Sonos System" by windows 7 sonos controller? i send new diagnostic info, confirmation number 5524691
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi, Jeff S, I updated my sonos system, after i reseted CR200, but it not connected, do i need factory reset CR200? Maybe its becouse i created "New Sonos System" by windows 7 sonos controller? i send new diagnostic info, confirmation number 5524691

I have reviewed your diagnostic. Due to the problem, the best would be to contact us by phone. A Sonos agent will be able to remotely connect to your system and check both your Sonos and the local network.

I have reviewed your diagnostic. Due to the problem, the best would be to contact us by phone. A Sonos agent will be able to remotely connect to your system and check both your Sonos and the local network.

Hi! Do you added patch? I dont see any update... Contact by phone it complex for me. This Sonos system standing at my parents home, another country. They are not speak English. I have remote control to their PC and set up Sonos remotely. Its working correct. But they want to use it by CR200. I had the same situation with my Sonos and after adding patch and updating system CR200 began to work correctly. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi! Do you added patch? I dont see any update... Contact by phone it complex for me. This Sonos system standing at my parents home, another country. They are not speak English. I have remote control to their PC and set up Sonos remotely. Its working correct. But they want to use it by CR200. I had the same situation with my Sonos and after adding patch and updating system CR200 began to work correctly. Thanks.

Hi Vasiliy,

We've applied the patch again to your system. Please try running updates again and see if you can connect your CR200. If not, try factory resetting your CR200 and try to connect again.
Badge
Hi,

(I've posted that message probably to the wrong thread yesterday).
I have CR200 that was used in another system couple of years ago.
Now i want to connect it to my system but it wont connect.
Diagnostic report number is 5527906.
Can you help?

Thanks in advance
Tanel