Question

Could Bt Wi-FI Extender be the cause of my problems ?

• 15 August 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge
I've a 7 Zone Sonos that's been running almost without a hitch for 7 years now. Mixture of Connect/ZP100/Play5/Play3. It's a fairly big house and to extend Wi-Fi into garden I've added a BT Wi-Fi Extender 600. When I do so I seem to start having all sorts of Sonos connectivity issues, blaming the Extender is a bit circumstantial but before I dig into this more just wondering if the community has any experience. All my Sonos units have their IP's pinned on the BT Home Hub 4

Problems manifest themselves as: If I'm using a iPad as controller sometimes it will apparently run the app fine but whenever I try to do anything, change volume, track, I'll get a 'cannot connect to Sonos' message,then a few tries later all will be fine.

Last night I had two zones grouped and went to add third, all indications were that it had worked, visually all was fine but no music from the third device. Ungroup it and it would play it's own music, add it back to group and nothing. Adjusting volume sometime saw a delay of about 15-20 seconds before any actual change across any unit.

I wasn't in the mood for a challenge last night so I switched off the Extender and all seems fine this morning. I might go switch it back on and see if things break again.

My Sonos runs in the original mode using SonosNet so I'm a bit confused as to how the Extender could be stopping Sonos components talking to each other.

Anyone any opservations ?

Many thanks.

Pete

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Interference would be one way. What channels are router, extender and SonosNet on?
Badge
SonosNet on Channel1, BT Hub on Automatic(SmartWireless), I can't for the life of me find out what channel the Extender is using.
If you have an Android device there is an app called WifiAnalyser that will give you a good picture of channels used. There may be an iOS equivalent. It would be better to have a fixed channel on the router and to keep the three channels separate. Any wired Sonos device should be at least a couple of feet from the router or extender it is wired to.