Answered

Continuous play (looping) stops suddenly

• 19 July 2019
  • 5 replies

I'm using a Play 1 to play brown noise to help my son sleep at night and I'm using Amazon Prime's music service and I found a 2 hour brown noise "song" that I added to my Sonos playlist and put it on repeat with crossfade on.

Problem is, the song would suddenly stop after about an hour and then fade back in. This is pretty disruptive to anyone in the room trying to sleep or already sleeping so I'm trying to figure out why it's doing this. This happens with different types of long play songs regardless or what music service I'm using. I've restarted my router, rebooted my whole Sonos system, restarted my iPhone and computer apps.

I have 3 Play 1's all playing wirelessly and 1 Beam that's connected to via ethernet but the 1 Play 1 that I'm having issues with is in the room.

Any help to get this fixed so that the song is playing through its entirety while truly being continuous and seamless without the sudden stop, that'd be awesome.

Thanks.
icon

Best answer by Belly M 19 July 2019, 22:05

Do have any means of playing back local music such as a share on a computer, NAS or Router sharing a drive?

If yes, download a suitable free brown noise track of about 20 minutes and add it to a playlist, repeat with crossfade.
View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'm not sure if this is a Sonos behaviour. As a test, can open a browser on your phone or PC and open Amazon Music and test the same audio. Please let us know how you get on.
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried playing the same audio on my computer and the audio keeps going without being suddenly dropped. I also tried playing different audio files from different streaming services (all over 1 hour long) and they all stop around the 30-45 min mark then start back up.

I think Sonos has problems playing audio files over 1 hour in length (or 30 mins for that matter). Not sure how to get this fixed.

Thanks.
Do have any means of playing back local music such as a share on a computer, NAS or Router sharing a drive?

If yes, download a suitable free brown noise track of about 20 minutes and add it to a playlist, repeat with crossfade.
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. So, what I did was purchase the brown noise mp3 file, updated my Sonos Music Library and played it straight off of my Music Library. That seems to have solved my issue. Thank you.

So, it looks like the issue may be on Sonos not being able to stream long format music files (i.e. looping white noise over 30 mins long). Hopefully, this can be solved eventually on their end.

Thanks again. I hope other people with the same issue will find the answer in this thread helpful.
Glad that did the trick, there have been reports through the years of some tracks cutting off early if they were very long but never experienced it myself.

Keeping it local means that you are not reliant on the Internet and saves Internet bandwidth.