Answered

Constantly Missing Random Devices

• 25 May 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi all! I’m really hoping y’all can help. I’ve been fighting issues for years now and I’m at my wit’s end.

I have a pretty extensive Sonos setup and to be honest, it’s never worked right. A part of me questions why I keep buying Sonos with all the issues I have.

The Issue (s)

• I constantly have some rooms just not show up in app. It’s not consistently the same devices and it can go in and out at any random time. Open up the app now and I have 2 showing. If I try and play something, that number may increase or it may decrease, no one can guess.
  • About half the time Sonos will fail while adding tracks to the queue. I can try 3-4 times and probably 80% of the time it will eventually work. Other times I give up.
  • When playing to a number of speakers, inevitably they will not start at the same time. Usually they all “click in” about 30-45 seconds into the song. From that point I may or may not have individual speakers come in and out during playback.

My Sonos Setup

• 5 Ikea bookshelf speakers
  • Beam
  • Play 3
  • 2 Play 1
  • One

My Network Setup

• Ubiquiti Unifi Setup. I have insane overkill wifi coverage to make sure there are no excuses. None of the speakers are more than 15 ft from an AP
  • One single vlan, nothing fancy on the network setup
  • All the speakers are using Wifi. I have the DHCP server with assigned IPs for the speakers so they don’t end up with duplicates as I’ve read that can cause issues.
    • I have tried wiring one, two and three Sonos speakers and saw basically no difference from any of the other configurations. My understanding (and I’m happy to be corrected) is that if you have any connected, you’ll get Sonosnet. As it wasn’t performing any better, I’m better off not having another radio network in my home.
  • My network is not seeing any slow downs otherwise. 

I’m at my wit’s end. I went from a standard wifi router to google wifi to an absurdly overpriced ubiquiti setup to try and fix these issues and I’m still not able to use my Sonos most of the time. I’ve contacted Sonos support and don’t end up getting very far. I’m hoping someone here can help out. Thank you in advance!

icon

Best answer by James L. 1 June 2021, 15:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Badge +17

Hi @drapergeek,

We’re aware of some issues that can occur on Unifi AP setups that require some settings to be changed in the Unifi controller. I’ll list the steps below to get the Unifi system into a supported configuration.

1. Log into the UniFi controller
  2. Click the Settings tab on the left sidebar
  3. Click Wireless Networks under the Settings page
  4. Change UI back to the old design if needed
  5. Click Edit next to the network SSID
  6. Verify Guest Policy and disable it if enabled.
  7. Click on the Save button at the bottom of the page.
  8. Verify and disable the options Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data and Auto-Optimize Network.
    • Click Edit next to the network SSID.
    • Expand Advanced Options.
    • Uncheck Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data.
    • In the Settings tab, click Sites.
    • Disable Auto-Optimize Network.
  9. Once completed, allow up to a minute for the AP to provision (apply the settings) and restore online connection, then proceed to test your Sonos system.

Let us know how you get on!

Thanks for the reply @James L. !

I was hopeful that would help, but after checking my controller, all the settings you’ve mentioned are already as you recommend. Any other suggestions?

Badge +17

Thanks for the reply @James L. !

I was hopeful that would help, but after checking my controller, all the settings you’ve mentioned are already as you recommend. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for following up, and I apologise for the late reply.

In this instance I recommend getting in touch with our customer support team. It’s likely nothing major, but they have the tools and ability to work with you live and get to the root cause of any issues happening with your system. Feel free to let them know that I’ve sent you over there and that you’ve already checked the recommended settings for a Unifi setup. You can also reference this thread if needed.

Thanks for the assistance @James L. 

After the last troubleshooting failed I tried a few things:

• I created a new wifi network and vlan and moved a few sonos over to that. I removed the rest of the Sonos devices from the app. This didn’t help at all.
  • I deleted the iOS app and started an entirely new account with Sonos and added the devices. This seems to have worked! I have no idea why, but things are working perfect at the moment. I still have the separate VLAN and wifi. I’m going to try moving back to my old account this weekend see what happens and report back.

Thanks again for the help.

Badge +17

Thanks for the assistance @James L. 

After the last troubleshooting failed I tried a few things:

• I created a new wifi network and vlan and moved a few sonos over to that. I removed the rest of the Sonos devices from the app. This didn’t help at all.
  • I deleted the iOS app and started an entirely new account with Sonos and added the devices. This seems to have worked! I have no idea why, but things are working perfect at the moment. I still have the separate VLAN and wifi. I’m going to try moving back to my old account this weekend see what happens and report back.

Thanks again for the help.

Interesting, thanks for following up! 

I don’t see any reason that you wouldn’t be able to switch back to your old account, since the Sonos account doesn’t store any settings or preferences in regard to your local system configuration. Please do let me know how you get on over the weekend!