Constant drop outs on a 22 component sonos system

Userlevel 3

Here’s the setup: 22 sonos including stereo pairs, couple subs, 1’s, 3’s, 5’s etc. 

Roughly 3,000 square foot house with Orbi 850 mesh wifi. 

Sonos running off a gen 2 Boost on sonosnet.  Boost is on 2nd floor, center of the house in a loft over top of all the sonos speakers. 

Other smart home stuff: About 35 Hue lights on hue hub, 50 Lutron switches on Lutron Caseta hub. 

Recently changed from sonos channel 11 (where all sonos speakers were OFDNI of 9), to sonos channel 1. (Has the best OFDNI numbers)

I’m still having trouble with dropouts, especially if I try to change tracks with rooms grouped together. When changing tracks, it goes through about 3 minutes of speakers cutting on and off and then skips to subsequent tracks before It finally settles in.

I usually group Kitchen/Fam, Big subwoofer (a connect with 2 large subwoofers attached), Dining room move, Family room (2 play 3’s and a sonos sub) Kitchen, and Living room together. Total of about 8 sonos speakers in continuous 1st floor rooms. 

Diagnostic number: 75661948

4 replies

As you are looking for the Sonos Support Staff to take a look at your diagnostic report, you are perhaps best to chat/contact them via this support link: https://support.sonos.com/s/contact.

For the Sonos user-community here to assist, you would need to perhaps describe your network setup in much more detail, such as:

• What Orbi WiFi channels that are in use by the hubs?
  • What 2.4Ghz channels are in use by your Hue lights/Lutron Switches?
  • If you have the Orbi WiFi credentials stored in the Sonos App network settings?
  • If the Boost is wired to the primary Orbi router and if it’s the only wired Sonos device?
  • Also have you set the Boost well away from the Orbi Hub/Router, at least one metre away?
  • Have you tried wiring any further Sonos devices all the way back to the main Orbi Router?
  • Are each of the Sonos products IP addresses set to static in the routers DHCP Reservation Table?
  • Any network switches, managed or unmanaged?
  • Any other WiFi extenders/powerline adapters - is there any ISP provided modem/router and what mode are you using for that device (modem/router/bridge mode)?

Those are just a few, of perhaps many, questions that folk here might need the answers to, before attempting to make some basic suggestions for you to perhaps try. 

It may even be worthwhile having a Sonos/Smart-home installer attend the premises and take a closer look at your whole home setup and provide you with some suggestions to help take things forward, perhaps reducing any potential wireless interference to a minimum and improving the connection between all your network devices.

Just as a small bit of help, perhaps to get you started, you may find this (hopefully self-explanatory) image useful to assist with reducing the potential for wireless interference between your Sonos speakers and other smart-home products (lights/plugs) around your home:

Userlevel 3

I do need to setup permanent addresses on my router….

It’s interesting though, when my orbs router was on channel 1, the best matrix for sonos I got was on channel 1.  

Just today, I changed my router to channel 9 and my sonos matrix map on channel 1 got worse!!!

I have mostly green between the sonos speakers, but the ofdni is almost all 8 and 9.

Is it possible that having the orb and the sonos on the same channel is a good thing?? (Arlo automatically changes to whatever channel the orbi goes to.)

It’s certainly possible, depending on networks outside of your own that could be influencing your environment. Not ideal, I’d think, but if that’s the best, that’s what you can work with. Or consider hard wiring all your speakers, which while ideal, kind of defeats the purpose of wifi speakers. :)