Answered

Constant drop-outs, app resets

• 13 November 2018
  • 4 replies

Hi there. I have 8 Sonos speakers in a two floor condo (with concrete floors) and a 500mbs internet connection. I also have a Sonos Boost. I frequently experience music playback drop outs (Spotify and Google services) and very often my apps reset themselves and all the speakers un-group. I tried changing the channel on my Sonos system but the problem still exists. I have had a home automation/networking expert in to provide advice and he says that playing that many Sonos speakers is whats causing the problem. His suggestion is to spend $1500 on wireless router and access point, which is more than I can afford. Can anything be done to extend the range/strength or just generally address these problems?
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 16 November 2018, 23:57

Thanks for that Stanley. Will try that.

I also have a diagnostic report number: 267637019

Thanks for sending the report. There are many wireless communication errors between your Sonos components. Most of the time changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using can help reduce wireless interference from nearby signals.

If you've already tried all 3 channel options, take a look around and in between your Sonos speakers for any third party electronics which could be causing interference. Common sources include cordless phones, wireless cameras, wireless baby monitors, wireless TVs and wireless printers.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sounds more like you had a feather merchant and check cashing expert in. Many Sonos users have far more speakers than you do and no problems.

Step one is to submit a diagnostic to Sonos and provide them the number it shows you when sent.

If you want to poke at things on your own you have a good chance of finding and fixing the issues too. My first recommendation is easy and cures many ills so it is where I recommend you start. Assign each Sonos device including the Boost a static/reserved IP address in your router's DHCP settings. Power down the Sonos gear, reboot the router, power up the Boost and wait a minute for it to come up and stabilize. Continue powering up your Sonos devices at one minute intervals.

Once the IP issues are off the table the next place to look is signal strengths and noise levels, your network matrix will show that and if you post a legible screen shot folks here can help you understand what it is showing. See it here: http://any-speaker-ip-address-here:1400/support/review not the Boost though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for sending the report. There are many wireless communication errors between your Sonos components. Most of the time changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using can help reduce wireless interference from nearby signals.

If you've already tried all 3 channel options, take a look around and in between your Sonos speakers for any third party electronics which could be causing interference. Common sources include cordless phones, wireless cameras, wireless baby monitors, wireless TVs and wireless printers.
thanks Jeff!