Connection with Spotify lost - again and again and again

Connection with Spotify is lost. I get this message track after track - nothing will play. Spotify plays OK with their desktop app and plays no problem on my other devices. I use Qobuz on Sonos too and am having (today) no problems at all. I have tried the usual - re-adding Spotify, rebooting router, rebooting laptop etc etc etc. I have tried to submit diagnostics but the process just hangs saying 'submitting' and after 10 minutes says 'try again'. Broadband speed is 4.25Mbps - wireless network is behaving faultlessly and Sonos controller is hardwired. Ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

413 replies

Badge
Jeff S, I do appreciate your reply but find this answer unnaceptable for an end user. There is nothing in any of the documentation I have seen on sonos/Spotify where it states that it will not work when dns servers are enabled locally. As confirmed the problem only occurs with the Sonos connection to Spotify but not with any other connections to Spotify so it's plain to see Sonos is at fault here and should be solving this issue rather than playing the "we do not officially support it" card.

At the very least this should be written in the documentation notes when installing the Spotify app on Sonos.

You will lose many customers if this approach of not accepting responsibility continues.

Thanks
Same Spotify lost connection issue as everyone else here... still no solution through neither Spotify or Sonos

I have searched and searched and searched for a solution and nothing seems to be a permanent fix - all the recommendations to changing channels, submitting diagnostics, rebooting systems, re-adding spotify, etc are all useless and not fixing the problem.

I don't understand why the tech support team can't sit down, look at the clear issue experienced by the users running Spotify through Sonos and come up with a fix, patch, configuration change, etc - just fix it once and for all and move on....? Is it really that hard?:?
Started having the exact same issue starting yesterday, 12/16/2016. We've had Sonos speakers for several months now and they've worked mostly fine until this point. All streaming music services work fine on my phone: Amazon, Pandora, TuneIn, Spotify, AccuRadio. But when I try to play Spotify songs through the Sonos app on my iPhone, it keeps telling me the connection was lost.

I have just a Spotify free account. I've also verified the same behavior from my Windows laptop, using the Sonos console there. All other streaming services work fine. Spotify HAD been working fine until yesterday.

I've rebooted my phone and my laptop and Sonos is updated to the latest version.

As noted, all other streaming music services are working fine through Sonos with the exception of Spotify.

Very frustrating.
I've tried removing then re-adding the Spotify account. Also cleared my queue. Still doesn't work.
Same here, was told on another thread this is wireless interference. Took all steps to eliminate that possibility. This started when the Sonos SPotify app integration update came out in December.

Diagnostic 6973083
I am having the same problem too.

"Unable to play song ABC123XYZ. The connection to spotify was lost."

I have only recently purchased my two Play 1 speakers (January 2017), and it has always been an issue. The firmware is up to date, as it prompted to update the software during setup.

I even setup the system again from scratch and the issue persists.

Further information;
1. My router is an AVM FritzBox 7490 (Supports UPnP and all that)
1. All my WiFi devices at home (iPhone, iPad, TV etc) are all connected to the 5Ghz frequency
2. All my Sonos speakers are connected to the 2.4Ghz frequency + a laptop that is barely ever turned on anyway
3. My cordless home phone does not use 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz, it's on some other frequency to avoid interference.
4. My Spotify account is PREMIUM.

Looking through this thread (started 2 YEARS AGO) it has been an ongoing issue but more so since December 2016.

Please fix it Sonos! - I only use Spotify for my music. I don't have a NAS of music or Apple Music.

Hi bricabrac89,

Please submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos system then reply with the confimraiotn number and I'll take a look for you.

Hi,

I have the same problem; can't play anything from Spotify within the Sonos system on pc or Android. Spotify as stand alone app works fine on both. I can play from other sources on Sonos...but nothing from Spotify. This problem came up 1-2 days ago. I also submitted a diagnostic report with no 7014431.

Sincerely hope someone is able to fix this.

-Fredrik-
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi 2ink Studio, and welcome to the community. Your system seems to have a lot of wireless interference and noise which is the most likely cause of your issues there. I would advise changing the channel of your router and also trying to distance your Sonos devices from any electrical devices which might be in the vicinity. You can find more information on this topic here.
Hello BOBQRO, welcome to the Community.

We'd be happy to take a look. Mind taking a diagnostic and replying with the number? Directions here: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
BOBQRO - We aren't able to gather much information from the diagnostic as it seems the player was rebooted before submitting. Mind submitting a diagnostic within 10 minutes of the issue happening and posting the number?

Stumps & JamesB1 - I have applied small software updates to your system to help with those lost connection errors. Let me know if you are still experiencing the same issue after the update.
So 4 years this thread has been open and still no fix from Sonos. This is ridiculous considering the price of the systems. As people have pointed out time and time again the issue lies with sonos and spotify, not ethernet cables, not electronic interferance, not missing updates, not DNS settings, not aliens, Every other service works as it should, yet Spotify constantly 'loses connection'. Which in itself is rubbish as you can usually still browse spotify using the sonos app, it just wont play the songs. Sometimes weeks will go by with no issues and then all of a sudden once again it fails and there is nothing you can do to fix it, you just have to wait until it decides it wants to play ball again. Why has this not been fixed yet????????
Same issue with losing connection to services. It happened with MOG, and now it's happening with Spotify.

I can stream no problem from a device, or a radio service. Spotify works on my other devices fine, as did MOG.

I have rebooted everything, and followed all the steps that have been suggested.

4982249 is my diagnostic #

9 pages here of people bitching about the same problem, maybe SONOS needs to get their shit sorted and fix the problem. We have paid premium prices for "premium gear" and it's isn't unreasonable for people to expect it to work when they want to use it
I have the same issues as everyone else. I have done the removal of spotify, reboot of routers and 4 sonos devices, and re-added spotify. I have even factory reset the entire system. This is the most infuriating customer service experience I have ever had with a product. And this is not a cheap product. For the amount you charge you should have people calling us and fixing this ASAP. Diagnostic number 5041944.
Hi all there is announcement about Spotify/Sonos problems posted a couple of hours ago here: https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/problem-with-spotify-on-sonos-18th-november-6732925
Having the same issues as everyone else (5231855 diagnostic), have tried each and every suggestion here and NOTHING works. It's laughable that the super expensive system is unusable and I have to listen to Spotify via a cheap Bluetooth speaker. Surely Sonos are losing bucket loads of potential revenue, would it not be worth their while to fix this? I've looked on their boards in the US, France and Germany and it's the same issue everywhere.
Thanks Daniel, I'll give that a go shortly. Spotify is being much better behaved today.
We have a Bridge right next door to the Play:5 so that's a bit odd. I'll check the channels and try 11 for you.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
I am having issues with Spotify on Sonos, I was a few songs into a playlist today and is stopped. I have done all the reboots but this has not corrected it.

Diagnostics Report ref 6249035

Kind Regards

We can confirm that the Spotify service is back up and running on Sonos. Let us know if you have any further problems. Once again, our apologies for the interruption.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Jeff- unfortunately, still the same issue. Just submitted a new diagnostic, 6434152. Please advise.

Thanks,

J

Jeff- Router is set to auto. I've just submitted another diagnostic, 6433808. Spotify seems to be the only service not functioning properly. I have full use of SiriusXM and SoundCloud. Please advise.

Thanks,

J

Try changing your router from auto to channel 1. This should reduce possible interference between your router and Sonos system. If any issues continue, please send in a new report and reply with the confirmation number.

Hi Jrod2go,

Please reboot your router and each Sonos unit. To reboot your Sonos units just remove them from power for ten seconds. If that doesn't work I'll create a ticket for you and get you in touch with our phone team.
Jeff- Rebooting all components solved the problem. Thanks for your help!

J

Jeff- unfortunately, still the same issue. Just submitted a new diagnostic, 6434152. Please advise.

Thanks,

J

Jeff- Router is set to auto. I've just submitted another diagnostic, 6433808. Spotify seems to be the only service not functioning properly. I have full use of SiriusXM and SoundCloud. Please advise.

Thanks,

J

Try changing your router from auto to channel 1. This should reduce possible interference between your router and Sonos system. If any issues continue, please send in a new report and reply with the confirmation number.

Hi Jrod2go,

Please reboot your router and each Sonos unit. To reboot your Sonos units just remove them from power for ten seconds. If that doesn't work I'll create a ticket for you and get you in touch with our phone team.
I also experience the same problem for 2 days, just for the Christmas evenings.. great...
All other services (Deezer, Radio, my own music library on my NAS) work perfectly well. Only Spotify has problems.

From the existing stream, it generally plays, but I cannot browse my playlists or search for music. The connectivity is very sporadic: sometimes I cannot browse a single page within the service, sometimes I can list my playlist but cannot see the songs in them, sometimes it works for a few minutes and then stops. And again: only with Spotify which makes me think that it is not an issue on my side, but either on Sonos or Spotify (whereas Spotify client works well on smartphone and PC).

My diagnostics ID: 4244555

Thanks for your support.
Badge
Thanks Jeff S

The confirmation number is 6449316
Similar issues here, logged out of all devices, even reset my spotify account on my controller! Guess they left the n00b in charge over x-mas 🙂 Diagnostics 4244632
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks Jeff S

The confirmation number is 6449316

Hi im85288,

There are many DNS errors showing in your diagnostic report. There are also some authentication errors. Please first try removing Spotify from your Sonos system, then add it back and test it out.

If things are still not working, please reboot your router and each Sonos unit by removing them from power for ten seconds. This should ensure that your system is using up to date network information. Once everything is back on, please test Spotify again.

If you are using a DNS redirect service, try disabling it and reboot your Sonos system again. DNS redirects can sometimes introduce extra latency which can make the connection time out.
Still not working and no word from Sonos. Anyone around to help or at least tell us when the problem will be fixed and to stop wasting our time?
Badge
Thanks Jeff S, could you tell me how to remove Spotify from Sonos? I looked all over and cannot see how to do it. Thanks
Same went down Christmas Day just as I was banging out a chrismtmas album ..Radio works fine NAS works fine ..Spotify dead

Your confirmation number is: 4244742.
Badge
Actually I found out where to do that but it made no difference. I'll try the other suggestions you have given and report back. Thanks