Connection with Spotify lost - again and again and again

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

413 replies

I am having a similar problem.  Every other source plays fine, but Spotify will play a song for about 8-10 secs and then lost connection.  Very frustrating. I have rebooted everything and changed out all cables.  My bridge is maybe 8 ft away,  but bridge location should not be an issue since all other sources play fine.  Any ideas? My diagnostics confirmation number is 4316715.
I started having this issue yesterday, Diagnostic number 4315811. Before that spotify had been working fine for the past few weeks since we got the Play 2.

Radio works fine on the sonos. Spotify works fine from all my other devices on the same wifi.

Tried restarting sonos, reconnecting the spotify service. Moving device to room with router and connecting via ethernet. Not sure what else to try and at this point Spotify was the only reason we bought to Sonos.

Have -you- tried pushing out a firmware and software update that does better logging so that -you- can debug the problem properly. You've received what, 50 diagnostic logs now and you're still asking people to try stuff?
Same issue. Sometimes can get 20 seconds out of a spotify song. Sometimes nothing. Tried all the instructions above...no improvement. Radio and other services are working fine. Have been having this issue for the last 3-4 days. 

Diagnostic number: 4317031
I have the same issues with Spotify losing connection in Sonos controller (Mac and iPhone). Spotify streams fine in its own app and there is no problem streaming other services (soundcloud, Pandora) with Sonos. I also tried all the suggested fixes (resetting router, moving bridge, changing wireless channels, spotify device authentication, spotify removal, computer reboot, power cycling sonos components etc.). 

Diagnostic submitted: # 4317285

Please respond with any additional information regarding this issue.

Thank you
Middle of last week I started having this problem and was getting the lost connection message with Spotify...but everything else is working fine. I got frustrated and put my headphones on and tried to just listen to Spotify through my phone. That didn't work and I kept losing connection there saying "Spotifiy has been paused because your account is being used somewhere else." Maybe it thinks Sonos is still using it? I've changed passwords, rebooted everything, removed and re-added the account, blahblahblah and STILL no Spotify. I've submitted a diagnostic and got an email saying to call a technician for help but now I'll have to likely wait for next weekend because of the hours and time differences. Disappointing for sure.
I will also add that I followed the advice given to someone else to set up a device password and that didn't make any difference with Sonos. This time it didn't even start a song at all before it lost the connection...a few seconds of trying to load a song and I got the message. Everything played fine through a full song each on my iPad and iPhone.
I have gotten Spotify to work by logging in with my Device username and password instead of Facebook. I had to send several emails to Spotify's support team asking for an email with a link to set up a device password, since requesting one from their website never worked. I removed Spotify from my Sonos app and then re-added it using the numerical device username and password and so far my Sonos is playing Spotify playlists perfectly. Hope this works for someone else.
I have gotten Spotify to work by logging in with my Device username and password instead of Facebook. I had to send several emails to Spotify's support team asking for an email with a link to set up a device password, since requesting one from their website never worked. I removed Spotify from my Sonos app and then re-added it using the numerical device username and password and so far my Sonos is playing Spotify playlists perfectly. Hope this works for someone else.
Just gave it a try but it didn't work for me ( just won't play and says the connection was lost). Did you do any router cycling or anything during the changes?
Same problem - loosing conection to Spotify constantly. Only allowed to play parts of Songs before changing. If at all allowed to play anting before trying 10 times to connect 4317587
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Same problem - loosing conection to Spotify constantly. Only allowed to play parts of Songs before changing. If at all allowed to play anting before trying 10 times to connect 4317587
Hello Christian, 

Have you tried removing and re-adding your Spotify account using username/device ID as opposed to using Facebook credentials? (NOTE: see above post by Mohammed (official rep) to retrieve Spotify username/device ID)

If you have not tried this step, please do so and then let us know if you are still having issues. If you're still running into problems, I'll create a ticket for you with our support team so that we can further assist you. 
Hi' do not have any replymail from Spotify. Trier severin times - if i get an answer from them iwill try the suggestion and get back with the result ...
Same issue, diagnostic #4306541 

Spotify was working perfectly for last year, all the sudden started giving me problems.  I have tried the exact steps above suggested to Rochester Art.

my problem solved after authenticating via spotify login (not facebook) per instructions.  thanks!
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
If you did not receive an e-mail with the device password you’ll need to get in touch with Spotify's customer services team directly using the online contact form and they’ll be able to get one of those emails out to you manually.

If you get an automated e-mail reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if it’s from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents should hopefully get back to you as soon as possible. Alternatively, if you prefer support via Twitter, please tweet @SpotifyCares.
I am experiencing same issue. I did not pay 300-700$ to experience this type of listening quality and it annoys the shit out of me. I regret buying this expensive piece of junk.
Userlevel 2
My previous post was deleted because of "language" so I will reiterate: Sonos, it is incumbent upon you to fix your software. My system once worked fine thank you very much. Then I was required to "upgrade" my software to your most recent version. Now my system will not play. I have WASTED hours rebooting and reconfiguring like so many other customers - to no avail. You suggest we should send diagnostic tickets and reprogram our routers. The real problem is YOUR software. It does not work. At least not easily. It is not good for customers. It is painful. Sonos should fix it at your end. Sonos should provide a seamless, easy to use, intuitive solution. It use to work fine. What happened? What did YOU do? Why are you suddenly blaming my router? Why not hire a development team 
Userlevel 2
Thomas posted that one should not bash Sonos because it is a great product (when it works). I, however believe that placing the onus on the customer to solve problems created by Sonos's own software updates is pathetic. My system worked fine. Sonos "upgraded" the software and now my system does not work. The software is not stable. The development team is poor. The problem is not my router - it is: hastily-written, buggy Sonos software updates. Just make it work.
Thomas posted that one should not bash Sonos because it is a great product (when it works). I, however believe that placing the onus on the customer to solve problems created by Sonos's own software updates is pathetic. My system worked fine. Sonos "upgraded" the software and now my system does not work. The software is not stable. The development team is poor. The problem is not my router - it is: hastily-written, buggy Sonos software updates. Just make it work.
I have no affiliation with SONOS other than owning a number of their products. While I understand your frustration at not having your service work properly, I also don't believe it helps anyone to attack the development team. Yes it is incumbent upon SONOS to offer solutions to the customer which is what I believe they are sincerely trying to do. Involving the customer in the troubleshooting process is a vital part of identifying what exactly is causing the issue.  

I haven't seen SONOS reps claiming anywhere that the problems listed in this thread are unrelated to their software. Support is simply requesting you perform some simple actions on your system that have been known to cause similar issues in the past. Ruling out the obvious is part of good troubleshooting, and since they can't reset your system, they simply ask that you assist in doing so.

So yes, SONOS needs to rectify this problem and based on the response I have seen from their staff they are doing that very thing. Working in software myself, I'm pretty confident there's a mad rush in-house as people are sweating to remedy this problem. 

So let's keep the pressure on, but a little understanding couldn't hurt either.
So I had previously posted with this problem and then said that powering off my bridge and speakers seemed to fix the problem.  Well, it did.  Ran fine all day after I did that.  Next day too.

Now today the problem is back... and powering off and on everything did not work.  It doesn't even start playing at all now, just about 5 seconds of silence while it says it is playing the song, then says it loses connection and goes to the next song.

I've tried that twice now with the same result.  After rebooting everything I get an error when I first try to play and for about 10 minutes ("playback from spotify was stopped because playback was started from another room or device").  Yet I can go to the spotify app and play just fine.  After about 10 minutes or so, I don't get that error anymore, but the sonos fails with the lost connection.

Please help.  As many others have noted, I now have a $1000 system that does nothing.

Diag #: 4319632
Userlevel 2
Sonos needs to test and debug before they issue new releases. Even Microsoft is not so cavalier as to force an update that causes your system to be unable to load.

This is my third or fourth time having my system rendered to non-working status requiring me to spend hours re-configuring. I believe that that is unacceptable. I believe that they should not alter a system that is performing perfectly with new buggy software that shuts you down. It's almost like getting a virus. From the vendor no less. 

Sonos is positioned as best of breed. Their software evolution program is broken. I paid top dollar for this system and it is constantly breaking. I am sure many of the engineers are the nicest and cuddliest people you'd ever want to meet. But their head of software is not executing and they need to fix the entire development process. This product is not a beta release. It is full scale production.
Here is my latest discovery with all of this.  Yes, removing my Spotify account and adding it back with device credentials to log in works now {so far}.  These last couple of days I have been off from work {I work at home but haven't been in my office where I have two Play:1 speakers paired}.  Today I came in my office and opened the desktop controller on my laptop to start a playlist and the problem came right back.  Connection lost after 30 seconds or so and unable to play songs in the playlist.  I closed the desktop controller and used the controller on my phone instead to load the playlist and play it in my office and it is working like a charm.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello Juliet,

Just to clarify, are you having issues obtaining your Spotify username/device ID or are you still experiencing issues with Spotify after adding your account via this method?

If you having issues obtaining your Spotify username/device ID and you have not received an email response from Spotify, it is recommended that you reach out to them so they can help you obtain your username and password. 
Here is my latest discovery with all of this.  Yes, removing my Spotify account and adding it back with device credentials to log in works now {so far}.  These last couple of days I have been off from work {I work at home but haven't been in my office where I have two Play:1 speakers paired}.  Today I came in my office and opened the desktop controller on my laptop to start a playlist and the problem came right back.  Connection lost after 30 seconds or so and unable to play songs in the playlist.  I closed the desktop controller and used the controller on my phone instead to load the playlist and play it in my office and it is working like a charm.
Not for me.  My problem went away the other day seemingly by something I did too.  Back today and that thing doesn't fix it this time.  
So I had previously posted with this problem and then said that powering off my bridge and speakers seemed to fix the problem.  Well, it did.  Ran fine all day after I did that.  Next day too.

Now today the problem is back... and powering off and on everything did not work.  It doesn't even start playing at all now, just about 5 seconds of silence while it says it is playing the song, then says it loses connection and goes to the next song.

I've tried that twice now with the same result.  After rebooting everything I get an error when I first try to play and for about 10 minutes ("playback from spotify was stopped because playback was started from another room or device").  Yet I can go to the spotify app and play just fine.  After about 10 minutes or so, I don't get that error anymore, but the sonos fails with the lost connection.

Please help.  As many others have noted, I now have a $1000 system that does nothing.

Diag #: 4319632

Did the "device password" thing.  Didn't work.  Did it again.  It worked.  It's playing fine now.  Nobody breath.  I'm sure I'll be back here in a day or two wondering what the next fix is...
Same here, started earlier this week and now unable to play any Spotify music through my Sonos. Please fix. Diagnostic code 4315527.
I performed the Spotify device account fix (Spotify account, not Facebook affiliation) and that seemed to solve the issue for me. Removed Spotify from PC client, re-added with pre-existing Spotify account, and now Spotify is streaming without interruption via my iPad again.
I'm having a similar connection lost issue. It's only happening on my Spotify account and not any other services. The weird thing is, my husband's Spotify account works fine on my phone without any connection issues. It's only when I try to use my Spotify account to play music that I get the drop connection. I tried my account on his phone also and it doesn't work as well. My workaround for now is to add my playlists to his account and stream from there. It's really frustrating though. It's been working well for the past couple months until now.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello Brad,

Were you able to also try your Spotify username/device ID instead of your Facebook login?

Let us know if you're still have issues after this and we can take a deeper look. 

Please submit a diagnostic after you experience the issue and I'll be happy to take a look. Please reply back with your number here.