Connection with Spotify lost - again and again and again

Connection with Spotify is lost. I get this message track after track - nothing will play. Spotify plays OK with their desktop app and plays no problem on my other devices. I use Qobuz on Sonos too and am having (today) no problems at all. I have tried the usual - re-adding Spotify, rebooting router, rebooting laptop etc etc etc. I have tried to submit diagnostics but the process just hangs saying 'submitting' and after 10 minutes says 'try again'. Broadband speed is 4.25Mbps - wireless network is behaving faultlessly and Sonos controller is hardwired. Ideas?

402 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Hello Quandoquidem,

Please try the steps below to see if we can get Spotify working and get a proper diagnostic.

Attempt these steps again and in the following order:
Reboot your router. Unplug your router from power for about 30 seconds, then plug it back in to power. Wait for the network to come back up. Then test the connection again.
- Reboot ALL of the Sonos devices. Unplug all the Sonos devices and then plug them back in. Allow them to go solid white and then test again.
- Ensure proper placement of BRIDGE. Ensure that the BRIDGE is not sitting on top of or right next to your router, place it at least 3 to 5 feet away or the length of the ethernet cable. 
Remove and re-add the Spotify Service. To do so from your computer, please select: Manage > Service Settings > select Spotify > 'Remove' or ' - ' then select 'Add' or ' + ' > Spotify > enter your username and password
- Replace the ethernet cable. Sometimes we see that the ethernet cables can go bad over time, please replace the ethernet cable that goes from the BRIDGE to the router and then test the system again. 

Please attempt to submit another diagnostic after these tests and I'll be happy to take a look.

I don't see how any of that would be a solution - my music library on my NAS plays no problem and I was able to play Qobuz with no problem - they all use the same components.  However, I tried your steps.  Now I cannot access either Spotify or Qobuz - 'there was a problem searching please try again'.  Qobuz was fine last night.  I see in July that there was a UK problem accessing Spotify - why don't you put service uses on your website so we know when there is a problem.

Anyway - I am still in the dark having spent over £1000 on Sonos kit.  Diagnostic number is 3961149

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Thank you for including the diagnostic. There are no current outages in the UK for these services. Since you are having issues with multiple services, it points to a connection issue between your network and the Sonos system. 

I see that one of the devices, the Conservatory, was not rebooted. 

Please reboot ALL the unit's again and then reboot your router (wait 30 seconds after powering down your router and then allow for it to fully boot). After your router comes back up, please test the services again as well as Radio to see if you are able to stream services. Please include another diagnostic after this test. 
I have the same issue - over and over and over

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Hello Timothy,

I'm happy to take a look at your system. Please submit a diagnostic after you experience the issue and I'll be happy to take a look. Please reply back with your number here. 

Have you tried any of the steps listed above?
I am also having same very frustrating problem that the connection to spotify was lost on sonos. Happens all the time!!! I've submitted a diagnostic to you
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Hello Chris,

Thank you for including the diagnostic. Your system is experiencing a particular error in regards to Spotify DNS settings. 

I've created a ticket for you so that we can assist you with this issue. When you have some time, www.sonos.com/contact and we'll be happy to take a look. Your reference number is: 141203-002711
Hi there - I'm having the same problem, ever since the latest app update on iOS yesterday, which triggered a system update. Connection to Spotify drops off within 10s-1m. Also can't stream from Soundcloud now, either.. I have rebooted the router and each Sonos component, I've removed and re-added the services. I have even removed and re-added the Sonos components. I have just submitted diagnostics - confirmation number: 4195617 Please let me know what else I can do here.
check your DNS settings, people.. i had this problem and ended up creating a static route for this device. all working now.
Dear Sonos. I am having the same problem. Sonos is losing connection to spotify all the time. Spotify is the only seevice affected. Webradio, local music is working flawlessly. Diagnostics sent to you: 4209248 Thanks for your assistance!!
I love my sonos, but I'm afraid I have to admit the connection to spotify has never been totally reliable. I've been though 3 different internet providers so I know it's not that. Constantly having to reboot everything is actually not reasonably for such expensive equipment
I have the same issues, unbelievably frustrating. Cant play more than one song without having to restart Sonos.. For the amount of money that was paid for this system, its ridiculously unreliable. Had it installed for about 2 years now and its NEVER worked properly.

Don't know how to change DNS settings, would very much appreciate some assistance on this issue as soon as possible.
I have exactly the same issue. Spotify connection is very patchy. Sometimes plays no problems, other times won't play at all. Sometimes it skips through the tracks of an album. Very very disappointed as really like the system. My diagnostic confirmation number is: 4218406. Please please help
derpingit wrote:

check your DNS settings, people.. i had this problem and ended up creating a static route for this device. all working now.

Could you please expand on this point? Where are you editing? What changes did you make? I assume this is within your router?
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
derpingit wrote:

Hello User261776,

Here is some info to clarify User613198's comments:
You can check your DNS settings within your router. Sometimes it is limited to the DNS provided by the ISP (internet provider). You can expand the catalog or range by changing it to an open DNS or Google's DNS. 

Open DNS: 

Google's DNS:

If you do make these changes on your router, you'll need to reboot ALL of your Sonos devices. 

After you taking a look at your diagnostic, here is a quick step you can try: can you please swap out the ethernet cable that goes from your BRIDGE to the router and test again. Let us know if you run into further issue and we can take another look. Please grab another diagnostic and we can investigate further.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Christian Kyllerman wrote:

Dear Sonos. I am having the same problem. Sonos is losing connection to spotify all the time. Spotify is the only seevice affected. Webradio, local music is working flawlessly. Diagnostics sent to you: 4209248 Thanks for your assistance!!

Hello Christian, 

We see quite a bit of wireless interference in your environment. Can you please try [b]changing your Sonos wireless channel[/b] to channel 11 and test again. 

Please let us know if you run into further issue, please also grab another diagnostic if you experience a drop and post it here. 
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Mark wrote:

I love my sonos, but I'm afraid I have to admit the connection to spotify has never been totally reliable. I've been though 3 different internet providers so I know it's not that. Constantly having to reboot everything is actually not reasonably for such expensive equipment

Hello Mark,

Mind grabbing a diagnostic from the system after you experience an issue and we'd be happy to take a look. Please respond with the number here and we can take a deeper look. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Killian Connolly wrote:

I have the same issues, unbelievably frustrating. Cant play more than one song without having to restart Sonos.. For the amount of money that was paid for this system, its ridiculously unreliable. Had it installed for about 2 years now and its NEVER worked properly.

Don't know how to change DNS settings, would very much appreciate some assistance on this issue as soon as possible.

Hello Killian,

Changing DNS settings is a potential fix but not something that usually has to be done. If you get a diagnostic from the system after you experience an issue, I'll be happy to take a look and make suggestions. 

Please be sure to include the number in your reply. 
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Oliver Hitman wrote:

I have exactly the same issue. Spotify connection is very patchy. Sometimes plays no problems, other times won't play at all. Sometimes it skips through the tracks of an album. Very very disappointed as really like the system. My diagnostic confirmation number is: 4218406. Please please help

Hello Oliver,

Thank you for including the diagnostic. You are experiencing a particular issue in regards to your system and Spotify. I've created a ticket for you, reference number: 141217-002361 

Please www.sonos.com/contact when you get the chance and we'll be able to assist you with this. 
derpingit wrote:

Thanks for the notes - a new iOS app and accompanying system update came down last night, which seems to have fixed everything. Could be coincidence, so if it happens again I'll swap out the cable.
Oliver Hitman wrote:

Hiya. I've moved my bridge further from my router and it seems to have done the trick. Thanks anyway. Oli.
I'm having the same issue. I just submitted a diagnostic report to Sonos, Your confirmation number is: 4237812. Please advise. Thank you.
I have the same issue. frustating as hell for the money pay for the system
confirg diag 4239898
I moved my bridge as far away from my sky hub (router) as possible; and I haven't had an issue since.
Same issue over here... rebooted all devices but nothing helps !
When spotify/Sonos is needed most it will break down ?
plz submit quick fix

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)