Question

Connection to X Was Lost

• 28 April 2020
  • 5 replies

I’m having a problem with trying to listen to a podcast via Radio by TuneIn.  Every thirty minutes, the podcast will stop and I’ll have to restart it back up.

When I look in the error log, I have a huge list of the following :

• Monday, 27 April 2020 - 05:52 Atlantic Time
    • Unable to play 'XXXX' - the connection to Calm was lost.
  • Monday, 27 April 2020 - 07:51 Atlantic Time
    • Unable to play 'XXXX' - the connection to Plex was lost.
  • Monday, 27 April 2020 - 09:34 Atlantic Time
    • Unable to play 'XXXX' - unable to connect to Plex.
  • Monday, 27 April 2020 - 11:52 Atlantic Time
    • Unable to play 'XXXX' - the connection to Plex was lost.

Any advice or help would be appreciated with trying to figure out why this keeps cutting out.  I’m not sure why not being able to connect to Plex would cut out a different service.

5 replies

So, what it seems like is your speakers are losing connection to the signal from the router. There’s two immediate possibilities, the most prevalent being some sort of wifi interference in your home causing them to momentarily drop. Important to note this can be from issues both inside your home, as well as sources outside your home.

The second, less likely possibility is disconnects caused by duplicate IP addresses. The simple, albeit potentially temporary fix is to unplug all Sonos devices from power, then reboot your router. When the router comes back up, plug back in your Sonos devices. If this works, it’s worth considering assigning reserved IP addresses for all your network devices, it might happen again. 

However, I would also recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, and are available Monday through Friday during business hours. Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

So, what it seems like is your speakers are losing connection to the signal from the router. There’s two immediate possibilities, the most prevalent being some sort of wifi interference in your home causing them to momentarily drop. Important to note this can be from issues both inside your home, as well as sources outside your home.

The second, less likely possibility is disconnects caused by duplicate IP addresses. The simple, albeit potentially temporary fix is to unplug all Sonos devices from power, then reboot your router. When the router comes back up, plug back in your Sonos devices. If this works, it’s worth considering assigning reserved IP addresses for all your network devices, it might happen again. 

So, I did a bit more digging about what’s going on… and it actually turns out to happen only when I’m listening to podcasts via Plex, not TuneIn.  If I listen to the same episode on TuneIn, it never drops out.  I’m wondering if it more has something to do with Plex, but I’ll still do a diagnostic by forcing the issue to occur again.  It’s definitely weird though that it happens after 30 minutes of listening. (Like clockwork)

Not sure. It was an easier diagnosis when it was happening all the time...but the diagnostic will probably help pinpoint it, the next time it occurs.

Finally was able to capture a replication of the issue.  My diagnostic number is 1737850761. (More a placeholder so I don’t lose the number.)

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@Dr. Queso Thank you for the follow up information and the diagnostic report number, also welcome to the Sonos Community. As you had described previously this is likely issue(s) with your Plex setup. There may have been a change with how Plex is connecting/communicating to Sonos. The report also shows potential wifi interference that Bruce had pointed out earlier. It also shows that your Sonos products have not need re-booted in over a month. I would suggest Bruce’s previous suggestion of re-booting the network and Sonos equipment off/on for 30 seconds with no lights.

When you are reconnected to the system please conform your Plex settings then test the podcasts from your Plex service for 30+ minutes of playback time to re-create the issue. If you can then please follow up here with the testing results and a new diagnostic report number. If everything else is working fine with Sonos you may need to speak with Plex and your setup/configurations with them.