Answered

Connection to Spotify Lost multiple times

• 22 February 2020
  • 37 replies

As per the title, seen this a few times now. Found various other posts but all closed for further comments.

Submitted diagnosis number 285123403

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 22 February 2020, 22:53

andrewjhp

Quite possibly a weak WiFi signal, or wireless interference around your Sonos devices. Maybe try a different ‘fixed’ non-overlapping 2.4ghz WiFi channel on your router (either channel 1, 6 or 11), ...or better still, consider cabling a single Sonos device to your router (if practicable) to move all your Sonos products over to SonosNet.

If you do decide to opt for SonosNet, which I tend to recommend to family and friends etc; then also do these two additional things:

1. Set the SonosNet channel in “Settings/System/Network” of the Sonos App so that it is at least 5 channels away from your chosen router 2.4ghz channel.
  2. Remove/reset the WiFi credentials in the Sonos App “SettingsSystem/Network/Wireless Setup”. These are not needed when running the devices on SonosNet.

One further useful thing I would choose to do, is to add the Sonos IP addresses to your networks' DHCP Reservation Table… this is an optional, but worthwhile, step.

Hopefully that will then resolve your streaming music service dropout issues.

View original

37 replies

andrewjhp

Quite possibly a weak WiFi signal, or wireless interference around your Sonos devices. Maybe try a different ‘fixed’ non-overlapping 2.4ghz WiFi channel on your router (either channel 1, 6 or 11), ...or better still, consider cabling a single Sonos device to your router (if practicable) to move all your Sonos products over to SonosNet.

If you do decide to opt for SonosNet, which I tend to recommend to family and friends etc; then also do these two additional things:

1. Set the SonosNet channel in “Settings/System/Network” of the Sonos App so that it is at least 5 channels away from your chosen router 2.4ghz channel.
  2. Remove/reset the WiFi credentials in the Sonos App “SettingsSystem/Network/Wireless Setup”. These are not needed when running the devices on SonosNet.

One further useful thing I would choose to do, is to add the Sonos IP addresses to your networks' DHCP Reservation Table… this is an optional, but worthwhile, step.

Hopefully that will then resolve your streaming music service dropout issues.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @andrewjhp welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your diagnostic report.

There’s a few things that could change the playback behavior with Spotify in your system. 

First, change your Sonosnet channel from 6 to 1 and then power-cycle your Sonos players and reboot your router.

If playback is still patchy, is it possible to wire a different Sonos player into your router rather than your Bridge?

If the Playbar or the Sonos One is wired to the network instead of the Bridge, does playback improve?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@Ken_Griffiths Jinx. 

Thanks for the suggestions both. 

I've adjusted the SonosNet channel and removed the WiFi. 

Question, do I need to remove the bridge if I plug the PlayBar in? Or can they both be hard wired?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi there @andrewjhp, if you wire the Playbar you should definitely unplug the bridge from the network. To be thorough, unplug it from power as well to see how you system works with out it as a factor.

Folks, 

I’ve done all of the above suggestion (I think) but still no joy. It keeps cutting out. I’ve re-submitted from recent issue number: 1253856183

Any help would be great!

Cheers, 

Andrew

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello @andrewjhp,

I’ve taken a quick look at the most recent diagnostic report and have a few thoughts.

Can you tell me if your Playbar is wired into your main Ubiquiti router or is  it wired into an access point or switch?

Is there anything wired into the second Ethernet port on your Playbar? 

Is it possible to wire one of your Sonos Ones to the main router instead of the Playbar and continue testing? 

Hi, I have the same issue - connection to spotify has been lost over 15 times today. Sonos is connected through Boost with Ethernet cable connection into Google Wif (Primary Wifi Point). I have submitted diagnostics number 18337256.

Thanks for help in resolving.

BeachBall.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello @BeachBall,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your diagnostic report. 

There are two things that I would like you to do to that can help give us more of an understanding of your system.

1. Can you tell us what your Sonos Beam is wired into with an Ethernet cable? Can you unplug this cable from the Beam?
  2. Please go to the Setting menu in your Sonos app. Settings > System >Network> Wireless Set-Up
  3. Follow through the prompts up to where it asks for your network password but please do not enter your network password when asked.  

After this step, exit out of the Wireless Set-Up menu and submit a diagnostic report.

This report will now include information about your wireless network traffic and may help pin down sources of interference. Pleas post the confirmation number here so that we can help resolve this with you.    

Thanks Jean,

The Beam is connected to an 8-port switch, which is then connected to my NAS and lighting hub (the former has been turned off for around a week). I can unplug, of course, but then I lose connectivity to those devices.

I followed steps 2,3 - without unplugging the cable from the Beam. Hope this is right.

Diagnostic report submitted, number 528981329.

Will look forward to hearing from you!

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello @BeachBall,

Thank you for the additional information about your system. 

Just to clarify, is the Ethernet port on your Beam providing the network connection for that switch or is the switch wired into your Google WiFi router?

If you are using your Sonos Beam as an Ethernet pass-through for other networked devices, we recommend that you do not as it’s not going to be reliable. 

If the switch is being fed by a wired connection to your Google WiFi node, please double check this connection as it doesn’t appear to be working. 

To continue troubleshooting, can you detach the Ethernet connection on your Beam  and then test Spotify playback on a single room location and report back with a diagnostic and the results?     

Hi there,

I am also experiencing “Unable to play ‘___’ - the connection to Spotify was lost. It is making the Spotify service unusable via Sonos. On the other hand Audible works just fine on Sonos. Also I try to play Spotify via my Playbar that is physically wired into my router. So please no “bad WiFi” excuses. 

I submitted a diagnostics report: 195043858.

Could you take a look at it?

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hi @Wilfried Zeehaven ,

I would suggest removing your Spotify account from Sonos and link it back in. If the issue still persists, try a full network reboot from your Wi-Fi router and if possible I’d reboot all of your Sonos devices as well. Let me know what happens after.

So did exactly that (modem, router and all my Sonos devices). First song I played got: “Unable to play ‘Open’ - the connection to Spotify was lost” error. After that every song plays timely and without this error message, Hurray! Before I posted my diagnostics report, I already had reset my modem and router but not my Sonos devices and un/linked my account but no fix from those. So I assume it had something to do with the connection inside the Sonos devices. Sebastian, I wonder what made you say I should reset my Sonos devices? Was it the long uptime of the Sonos devices? If it is company support policy to turn to “turn it on and off again” when the uptime exceeds X days I suggest you guys look into this. From the forum I see this happens quite a lot and imho it deteriorates your brand name. Along with the iffy decisions as of late (I am referring to bricking decision and rollback) I am now much less inclined to suggest your products to other people I know (as I have on multiple occasions in the past).

@Sebastien D. 

A day after I had rebooted my sonos devices the error began to pop-up again. And again I rebooted only the devices (not my network setup). Not suprisingly the error went away.

But after some digging into the forum I found something helpful: https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/asus-rt-ac88u-6739225/index2.html 

Disabling the Airtime Fairness setting for both 2.4 and 5GHz on my Asus RT-AC88U WiFi router did the trick. Now the problems seem to be gone even after 2 days. Anyway thanks for your help.

@Sebastien D.,

Ok I spoke too soon. The problem keeps happening. When the problem occurred I un/linked my Spotify account but the problem got worse. It takes really long to start a song and oftentimes it skips multiple songs after one begins to play. And when it plays a few sometimes stops playing songs in the queue.

The 2 WiFi devices have very good Wifi reception (Play 3 has 440 Mbps and the Play 1 has 190Mbps) + Playbar is physically wired.  

I made a new diagnostics report: 700100506

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hi @Wilfried Zeehaven,

Does the issue occur using multiple music streaming services in your system besides Spotify?  

@Sebastien D.,

No only Spotify has the problem. I have Audible and this always works without delay/errors. Also when I stream music from my local library (NAS) it has no delays/errors.

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

@Wilfried Zeehaven,

Understood, we are limited in troubleshooting on the Community. I would like to move your case over to our phone team so we can do more advanced troubleshooting with you in live time at your earliest convenience.  

Hello @BeachBall,

Thank you for the additional information about your system. 

Just to clarify, is the Ethernet port on your Beam providing the network connection for that switch or is the switch wired into your Google WiFi router?

If you are using your Sonos Beam as an Ethernet pass-through for other networked devices, we recommend that you do not as it’s not going to be reliable. 

If the switch is being fed by a wired connection to your Google WiFi node, please double check this connection as it doesn’t appear to be working. 

To continue troubleshooting, can you detach the Ethernet connection on your Beam  and then test Spotify playback on a single room location and report back with a diagnostic and the results?     

Thanks Jean.

The ethernet port on the Beam was providing the network connection for the switch. So...I went out, bought another Google Wifi access point which I set up today and connected to the switch...Still getting the “Unable to play ___ the connection to Spotify was lost” so seems I may have not have needed the extra Google Wifi access point.

The problem seems to happen a couple of time a week. I really don’t want to have only one speaker on-line to test until I hear that there’s a problem...is that what you are suggesting? Or do you just want a diagnostic report with only one speaker connected?

Thanks again,

Tom

Hi

I have been having exactly the same problem as Wilfried (Sonos works perfectly with Tunein Radio but constant 'connection has been lost' problems with Spotify) Is there any published resolution to this problem?

Thanks

Seamus

Sonos still dropping out too regularly when I’m listening to Spotify. Nothing showing up in the Error Log. I just sent another diagnostic response : 812605858. This is frustrating...not been an issue until recently. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hi Folks,

Please follow these steps below:

1. Confirm Spotify works outside of Sonos.
  2. Perhaps remove your Spotify account within the Sonos app and add it back in.
  3. Reboot your Wi-Fi network as well as all of your Sonos products.

As a test, I would ask you to temporarily connect one of your Sonos products into the router (or mesh provided you are using Wi-Fi from the mesh system), and try again and I recommend that you reach out to our support team  and start a troubleshooting ticket.

I am having these same issues with connection to Spotify being lost. It won’t let me play Spotify songs from the Sonos app or from the Spotify app to my Sonos system. The Spotify account is working fine. Also, my soundcloud app is able to play to my Sonos. It’s something with Spotify that is messed up. PLEASE HELP!

Not being able to stream Spotify through my SONOS system is VERY FRUSTRATING.  I get the same error message as in the post above from kasmonaut.  Spotify works fine playing directly through the Spotify App on my iPhone and/or Bluetoothed to my Bose stand alone speaker. Resetting my router does not resolve the issue.  This just started today after nearly 2 years of trouble free streaming of Spotify through SONOS.  This issue needs to be resolved quickly.

Please advise on corrective action.  Thank you.