Question

Connection lost, interrupted or unable to play

• 18 October 2020
  • 3 replies

• Contributor I
  • 3 replies

Hello,

I’ve been experiencing loss of connections when streaming Spotify and radio (either TuneIn or Sonos Radio) and error messages such as “unable to play [ ] - song is not encoded correctly” since basically day 1. it seems to come and go but lately frustration grew bigger as it reached a point where the speakers are more unable to work than do. 

Diagnosis number 384398090

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @RW33, thank you for reaching us, and welcome to the Sonos Community. I appreciate you for describing the issue and for submitting the diagnostic. Let me help you with this.

Upon checking the report, there’s a network-related issue in your Sonos system. This usually caused by network communication, either between Sonos devices and your router or between Sonos and the internet. Also, the diagnostic report was submitted from your iOS device.

To correct this, the next step is to perform a sequential reboot of your network devices, all your Sonos products, and force close mobile controllers to refresh the connection.

A sequential reboot means that we need to do this in order.
1. Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
2. Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
3. Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
4. When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.

After performing the steps above and you're still experiencing the same problem please submit a diagnostic and reply back with the confirmation number. This will allow us to see how your system is functioning, and help provide a resolution.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Hi Rowena,

Thanks for the reply.

I’ve reset the system as advised and followed the steps to remove network interference by separating the router’s wifi channel and the sonons speakers (the speakers are on wireless mode, but one was connected for this aim and returned to wireless mode once this was completed).

The response from the app and the speakers is better now - less delay between Spotify casting from the app to the speakers. However Sonos Radio continue with occasional “song is not encoded correctly” error.

Please find diagnostics report #281636691

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @RW33, thank you for your response and for submitting the diagnostic number. I appreciate you in performing the recommended troubleshooting. Let me help you out.

Upon checking the recent diagnostic, the error messages related to your network haven't cleared out. I can see that your Sonos speakers have been up for 18 days. Did you include them when you perform the sequential reboot?

Do you have WiFi extenders or access points? There are different SSID's in the diagnostic.

Let me suggest the following basic troubleshooting to isolate the issue.

1. Repeat the sequential reboot.
2. Switch to SonosNet. Hardwire one of your speakers to your router.
3. Turn off your WiFi extenders and access points.

After performing the steps above and you're still experiencing the same problem, you may continue working with us over the phone. You can contact our Sonos Customer Care support with your full network setup including the make and model of each device and for more in-depth troubleshooting steps to provide you the best option.

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions.

You're always welcome here.