Answered

Connection Issues with Play 1 and Apple Music playlists

• 14 October 2018
  • 2 replies

Badge
I’m having what seems to be a very specific issue with playing Apple Music playlists on a Play 1, so I’ll try to be as specific as I can about my network and the steps I’ve tried. I’m also not sure if it’s an issue with Sonos or my WiFi, but I suspect it’s a Sonos issue.

I have a Netgear Orbi mesh WiFi system, with the 2.4ghz channel set to auto. My Sonos units are using SonosNet (channel 11) as opposed to WiFi; I have two Play 3s in my kitchen, a connect amp in my living room, a Bridge that is hardwired to one of the Orbi units in my basement, and a Play 1 on the second level of my house.

My issue is that, I’ve just noticed that when I play playlists from Apple Music, it’ll eventually return either a connection lost error or the “insufficient network speed” error. This only seems to occur with playlists; streaming from my Mac mini music library (also hardwired) and Apple Music radio does not seem to be affected. Further, I can stream playlists on my other Sonos units just fine, it is only an issue with the play 1 on the second floor. I submitted a diagnostic and the confirmation number is 846478511.

My wired Bridge is next to one of my Orbi units, so I tried changing the 2.4ghz WiFi channel to 1, no effect. I’ve tried changing the power output from the router as well, also no effect. Why would Apple Music playlists stop playing or skip tracks, and only on one speaker, but everything else works? Any help would be appreciated.
icon

Best answer by Matthew_77 16 October 2018, 03:02

I seem to have solved my problem by relocating the Bridge from my basement, where it was connected to an Orbi satellite, to my living room where it is now connected to the main router. Don’t know why the SonosNet was strong enough to handle local streaming but not Apple Music streaming with the previous setup...but oh well.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Badge
Update: I’ve now determined that the Play 1 upstairs can’t reliably stream music at all from Apple Music (unless, seemingly, it’s a radio station). Really confused as it has worked fine for a long time, but I only noticed the problem recently.
Badge
I seem to have solved my problem by relocating the Bridge from my basement, where it was connected to an Orbi satellite, to my living room where it is now connected to the main router. Don’t know why the SonosNet was strong enough to handle local streaming but not Apple Music streaming with the previous setup...but oh well.