Answered

Connection Issues after downloading S2 are driving me insane, please for the love of god help me.

Hello all, I’m hoping someone here can help me out because I’m going insane in frustration. I’ll try to put in as much detail as possible but also try to keep it concise but I do tend to waffle, so fair warning.

Alright so….. I own just the one Sonos device (play 3) and up till recently I haven’t had any problems with it. I had it setup so it was running wirelessly using the S1 controller (on a OnePlus 5t phone) and everything was fine. However, every time I went to use the S1 app I was bombarded with annoying pestering to download the new S2 app. I had put off downloading the S2 app as I read some very negative reviews and I had everything I needed in the S1 app. Eventually the constant annoyance of the S2 update prompts was too much and I caved and downloaded the app.

Immediately after downloading and going through the setup of S2 app I couldn’t connect to my speakers and the frustration began. After going through all the troubleshooting options I decided it would probably just be easier to factory reset my speakers and the app and set up the whole thing from scratch.

Now I can only get my speakers to connect when connected directly to my router with an ethernet cable. When trying to setup my wireless network I have no option to join a wireless network, only to manage networks. I have checked that my play 3 has Wi-Fi enabled (and disabled and re-enabled for good measure) and I adjusted all my router setting so that 2.4ghz Wi-Fi is the only one available.

When going through the update network options System>Network>Manage Networks>Update Networks and go through the instructions it asks me to disconnect my speakers from ethernet and then connect to a temporary network. This is were it repeatedly fails. My S2 controller can identify the Play:3 when disconnected from ethernet but then attempts to connect to the temporary network (either just titled SONOS or SONOS- with a random string of characters afterwards). It then connects “successfully” to the SONOS network but then immediately drops connection and repeats several times before displaying the extremely helpful error message “Something came up. The application has cancelled the request to choose a device”. It seems that my speakers is somehow trying to host and join its own network and failing miserably.

Looking online it seemed that the S2 used to require a device to be connected to the router through ethernet to act as a host and additional devices would then connect to that host which appears what my play:3 is trying to do. However several posts said that the entire system could be wireless with a software update they brought out and the fact my speakers had this functionality beforehand makes my whole current situation ridiculous.

I have tried basically everything I can think of to try to get this working but had no luck, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

icon

Best answer by nik9669a 8 May 2021, 20:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Just to clarify: you say you only have a single Play:3 yet you keep referring to your “speakers”. How many of what do you have?

Are you using a BT Smart Hub 2? There are known problems with this router following a recent BT update. 

Can you set up the speaker in a wired setup, just to try to get things running? 

Yes just the single Play:3 when I’m referring to the “speakers”, sorry for the confusion. I believe I am using the BT Smart Hub, I did see some forum posts regarding that issue but as my system was working before I switched to the S2 app I assumed that was the root cause of the problem. However, I will check out if my Hub is the issue.

I can manage to set the speaker up in a wired setup and it works perfectly fine then, the issue only arises when trying to get the wireless working.

Thanks for the heads up though! :)

Quick follow up, the forum suggested that the issue involving the hub was to do between the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands. However, I did adjust my router settings as mentioned earlier to a single band of 2.4ghz as I saw some people mention issues connecting OnePlus phones to the system as the earlier Sonos products only operate in the 2.4ghz band. So still no success unfortunately :(

Also I’m not sure when the Hub issue showed up, but my speakers have been out of action for a few months now and I’ve only just got round to sorting them out. So I’m not sure if the issue is related.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I’d suggest then you wire the speaker and get it running, and then submit a Diagnostics to see if it gives any clues to Sonos support staff.