Answered

Connecting to an external Media Server

• 9 April 2022
  • 5 replies

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

I am on Windows 10.  I have an Asus AC5300 Router.  I have an external HD that I have connected to the USB port of the Router.  Sono’s states file are no longer available, The device where the music files are stored may not be powered on (it is), the path may have changed (it didn’t).  It’s accepts iTunes with no issues.  Any one seen this issues?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 12 April 2022, 10:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Rman 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

We are aware of this issue whereby S2 systems will not connect to router-based SMB network shares and our developers are currently looking into it; however, there is currently no timeframe for a resolution.

In the meantime, I can only recommend connecting the drive to your computer instead, then point Sonos towards that. The computer will need to be powered on for playback.

I hope this helps.

Same problem here using my Asus router. Can no longer access my music. Any update on when this might be resolved? Merlin firmware worked but had to go back to stock firmware after my router stating losing connection. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

If your Sonos system is running S1 you will need to enable SMBv1 on the file share.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @JeffMan 

Unfortunately, I have no info to share on a time frame for a resolution.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

If it is available for your router go to SNBForums and download the latest Merlin Firmware and use SMB1 and you should be able to index your drive correctly. When doing any firmware updates eject your drive beforehand.