Answered

Connecting Sonos Port directly to router with an ethernet cable.

• 24 December 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi - 

I play music through my SONOS system via a PLEX media server that sits on a Synology NAS. I have a SONOS PORT, a PLAYBAR,  a PLAY3, and a BOOST. The BOOST is connected directly to my router via an ethernet cable. 

My problem is that Sonos is constantly disconnecting from PLEX which results in the music dropping out or songs on playlists being skipped over entirely . Even though I already have the BOOST connected directly to my router , if I were to also connect the PORT directly to my router would that eliminate these drop outs? 

Thanks for any help!

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 24 December 2021, 19:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Hi - 

I play music through my SONOS system via a PLEX media server that sits on a Synology NAS. I have a SONOS PORT, a PLAYBAR,  a PLAY3, and a BOOST. The BOOST is connected directly to my router via an ethernet cable. 

My problem is that Sonos is constantly disconnecting from PLEX which results in the music dropping out or songs on playlists being skipped over entirely . Even though I already have the BOOST connected directly to my router , if I were to also connect the PORT directly to my router would that eliminate these drop outs? 

Thanks for any help!

I would just try it and see if it works for you - if it does, then it’s likely WiFi interference that’s causing the dropouts, in which case you perhaps need to ensure these few things:

1. That the wired Boost is at least one metre away from the router
  2. That the router WiFi is using a fixed non-overlapping channel 1, 6 or 11 for it’s 2.4Ghz band and a channel-width of 20MHz only.
  3. That the SonosNet channel in the Sonos App is set at least 5 channels away from the chosen router channel
  4. If there are no ‘portable’ Sonos products in the Sonos system, that the local WiFi credentials are not stored in the Sonos App ‘Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks’ area of the Sonos App.
  5. That the Port is not near anything that might interfere with its WiFi connection (Bluetooth device/Microwave/Child Monitor/Vase with Water etc.)