Answered

Connecting my Samsung Smart TV to my new Sonos One

• 26 November 2017
  • 23 replies

How do I connect my new Sonos One to my Samsung Smart TV? Thanks.
icon

Best answer by Edward R 25 January 2018, 09:55

Hello, all. As has been stated, it is not possible to directly cast Smart TV Audio to the Sonos ONE. In all likelihood, your television does not support this functionality to any WiFi connected speaker, the ONE being no exception (though please do let me know if I am wrong). The terminology, "Manage Smart Home Devices" refers to being able to control other devices in the home, such as lighting, via voice commands. Something we are working to improve on an ongoing basis. All that being said, getting television audio wirelessly streamed to the Sonos ONE, or indeed any Sonos device, is not something we have stated as being possible at any point through our product descriptions or accompanying literature. Our apologies for the confusion.

As for the AUX in capability, this is something I am happy to forward to our product development team. I must admit, this is something I would absolutely love to see implemented myself, as it opens a range of possibilities. Noted and forwarded, thanks!

I have a Samsung 65” Smart TV in my “great room”. I would like to be able to use my wireless Bluetooth headphones to listen the TV’s audio, so as not disturb others who might be also in the room. Is there any way this can be accomplished?
I know I can send the TV’s audio to another speaker in a different room, but is there a Bluetooth device that I could plug into my Play5 speaker that would allow me to wirelessly use my headphones? Thanks for your input. ?

Hi there, wkrawit48. Welcome to the community. None of our current products are equipped with a headphone port. There was one on the PLAY:5 Gen 1. If you can source one of these, you could attach your Bluetooth device to that. However, streaming TV Audio wirelessly requires a very robust wireless connection, due to it being uncompressed audio. The best, most simple option would be to attach your Bluetooth device to the headphone port on your TV. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
View original

23 replies

Same Question - :?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
For what purpose?

If it's for art's sake then probably some bright pink duct tape would look good.

If it's because you have no other location since your living space is so small then I suggest balancing it on the top of the TV (Blu-Tak might be a good idea).

If you want to get your TV audio out of your Sonos:1. Then it cannot be done (Unless you get a Playbar/Playbase and then group them)
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Out of curiosity, what made you think the Sonos One (or many of the other Sonos products) could play your tv audio? This sort of question comes up a lot, and I really don't get why people think the feature exists for their product.

Maybe it's just me, but with such a wide variety of tech products available today, and the ease of finding information about products, I don't assume anything anymore.
I won it in a charity auction - And I suspect most people asking questions probably received them as gifts or the same way I did --I am unfamiliar with the SONOS 1, so pulled it out and tested it. Sound quality is great. And it would have been nice to use it as part of my home theater. But as I have found out, I'd need to spend a few hundred dollars more, nearly the price of my 4k TV to connect it. Not a real good value proposition. I am going to spend a few minutes trying to find a hack of some sort that might work. If I get bored and manage not the tear the thing apart to badly, I'll pack it up and sell it on eBay. Great sound, but I don't need another silo. No offense, I hope that you work for SONOS, otherwise there are better hobbies out there than trolling the SONOS boards trying to call people out. Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Not sure who you are responding to, but I wasn't trying to call you out. I am generally curious, but I can see how my statement could be read as condescending. People who work for Sonos will be marked as Staff. The other people who visit the forums do so because they liking discussing the product and seeing other people's idea, the like helping others in certain scenarios, and the like.

At the risk of sounding condescending again, before you tear it apart or sell it, why not try it out for it's intended use? Instead of adding it to you r home theatre setup, try it another room....office, bedroom, master bath and see if you find it useful there
Actually the Sonos playbar or playbase can connect to the tv
I won it in a charity auction - And I suspect most people asking questions probably received them as gifts or the same way I did --I am unfamiliar with the SONOS 1, so pulled it out and tested it. Sound quality is great. And it would have been nice to use it as part of my home theater. But as I have found out, I'd need to spend a few hundred dollars more, nearly the price of my 4k TV to connect it. Not a real good value proposition. I am going to spend a few minutes trying to find a hack of some sort that might work. If I get bored and manage not the tear the thing apart to badly, I'll pack it up and sell it on eBay. Great sound, but I don't need another silo. No offense, I hope that you work for SONOS, otherwise there are better hobbies out there than trolling the SONOS boards trying to call people out. Cheers!

You can send it to me. I’d love to have it.
I find it very surprising that no one know how to connect a tv (Toshiba) Sonos One - the spec includes this feature, but in the set-up process, there are no obvious steps to take and sonos help options is pretty useless and even extensive searching on Google has been fruitless.
Gee, I wonder how we novices got the idea that Sonos One could play TV sound? Maybe it was from their website that sells the damned thing:

"Play songs, check news and traffic, manage smart devices and enjoy all those other helpful Amazon Alexa skills using a single Sonos speaker."

And please don't tell me my smart tv is not a device.

Mine is going right back.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Probably just as well
I can't think of another bluetooth/WiFi speaker that I've ever had that did not have a Line In. Although I enjoy my 4 Sonos One speakers, I am mad at myself for purchasing them having not paid attention to the fact that they lack Aux In capability. Whether it was a deliberate decision by Sonos or an oversight, it's a big deal for me. I will now have to grab my old soundbar and put it back in service instead of enjoying the Sonos One speakers in my TV setup.
It’s an expensive paperweight. Might see how well it flys as I live on the top floor of my building.
I have a Samsung 65” Smart TV in my “great room”. I would like to be able to use my wireless Bluetooth headphones to listen the TV’s audio, so as not disturb others who might be also in the room. Is there any way this can be accomplished?
I know I can send the TV’s audio to another speaker in a different room, but is there a Bluetooth device that I could plug into my Play5 speaker that would allow me to wirelessly use my headphones? Thanks for your input. ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Hello, all. As has been stated, it is not possible to directly cast Smart TV Audio to the Sonos ONE. In all likelihood, your television does not support this functionality to any WiFi connected speaker, the ONE being no exception (though please do let me know if I am wrong). The terminology, "Manage Smart Home Devices" refers to being able to control other devices in the home, such as lighting, via voice commands. Something we are working to improve on an ongoing basis. All that being said, getting television audio wirelessly streamed to the Sonos ONE, or indeed any Sonos device, is not something we have stated as being possible at any point through our product descriptions or accompanying literature. Our apologies for the confusion.

As for the AUX in capability, this is something I am happy to forward to our product development team. I must admit, this is something I would absolutely love to see implemented myself, as it opens a range of possibilities. Noted and forwarded, thanks!

Hi there, wkrawit48. Welcome to the community. None of our current products are equipped with a headphone port. There was one on the PLAY:5 Gen 1. If you can source one of these, you could attach your Bluetooth device to that. However, streaming TV Audio wirelessly requires a very robust wireless connection, due to it being uncompressed audio. The best, most simple option would be to attach your Bluetooth device to the headphone port on your TV. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
What about using Sonos ONE to cast something on a SmartTV, like "ask SmartTV to play Coco". I guess that's still considered "managing a device", as same as turning off a light as it's a command from Alexa to the SmartTV.
What i dont understand is that i can stream video to my smart tv from my phone and stream music from my phone to my sonos and even remote share my phone to my tv screen all over wifi...but for some reason you do not have a solution to steaming tv audio to a sonons one over wifi without having to by all your other products...seems a bit fishy!

Sonos should bring out a small attachement similar to chromecast that you plug in to your TV (smart or not) that allows it to connect to your sonos speakers.:?

Either that, or someone else should because they would make a forturne! Any chance you can bring this feature out in the future or similarly make sonos ones so that they can pickup smart tvs over wifi allowing it to connect to its audio.

WILL THIS BE A FEATURE IN THE FUTER OR DO I NEED TO SELL MY SONOS OR SPEND £500 on essentially the same product but tv version.
I would not expect to see them bring something out that would make the PLAYBAR and PLAYBASE obsolete.
Just bumping up the topic for a suggestion. If the Sonos App for Android is able to stream sound to a Sonos ONE on the same network, why aren't you developing a Samsung TV App (which is Android based) to do the exact same thing ? Doesn't look difficult /methinks
Dear all, just bought this newest Samsung QLED and wonder about the same topic:

GQ75Q950RGTXZG

I love this function from hotel rooms, where you switch on the sound (of course I know this is wired and not wireless) in any room.

Would be amazing to have this feature via my 6 sonos ones. as the new TV is also Alexa and Google Assistent integration as the sonos ones are, maybe a developer could build such a great piece of software to allow us all to do it.

Just imagine to enjoy football or a movie (and you do not want to pause it while you wife is in the bathroom) in the bathroom 😉 or in the kitchen when there is no TV at hand. And yes I know there is apps for football radio, just trying to make a comprehensive example.

brgds Phil
How do I connect my new Sonos One to my Samsung Smart TV? Thanks.What i dont understand is that i can stream video to my smart tv from my phone and stream music from my phone to my sonos and even remote share my phone to my tv screen all over wifi...but for some reason you do not have a solution to steaming tv audio to a sonons one over wifi without having to by all your other products...seems a bit fishy!

Sonos should bring out a small attachement similar to chromecast that you plug in to your TV (smart or not) that allows it to connect to your sonos speakers.:?

Either that, or someone else should because they would make a forturne! Any chance you can bring this feature out in the future or similarly make sonos ones so that they can pickup smart tvs over wifi allowing it to connect to its audio.

WILL THIS BE A FEATURE IN THE FUTER OR DO I NEED TO SELL MY SONOS OR SPEND £500 on essentially the same product but tv version.

I feel the same way. Its stunning that in these times of connectivity that they would not engineer this feature of connecting to a TV or something like chromecast.
This is not abour sending audio TO a TV it is about sending it FROM a TV wirelessly. What has that got to do with Sonos? Complain to Samsung et al if you want to complain.

Why do you think AVRs get their audio from the TV via a cabled connection?
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
Or develop a Wi-fi audio transmitter that can plug into the TV.

If you only want to send it to a One it only needs to be a stereo signal so you just need to decide what interface it will have to the TV. You could use the headphone, or optical, or RCA, or HDMI to suggest just a few.

Or or you could connect to a Sonos Beam, Playbar or Playbase and set up a 5.1 home theatre system.
TV manufacturers design their TVs to output audio via optical or HDMI. Manufacturers of AVRs and soundbars fit their products with those connections. Speakers not intended for use with TVs have no such connections.