Connect stops playing randomly while Play 1's keep playing normally

• 23 January 2021
  • 5 replies

Hello everyone,

It's quite a while (2 years maybe) I have this issue with the Connect.

It suddenly stops playing music for few seconds while the other two Play-1 keep playing music normally. I use the system mostly with Spotify and Tune-in. I'm not sure if it happened also with Amazon Music. I've sent the diagnostic within few minutes from the last episode, this morning: 1154082524.

The setting is as follows:

Connect cabled to the router via ethernet (Living Room)

Play-1s in wifi to Connect (3-5 meters from each other)

The same issue happened when the Connect was connected via wifi to the router, with 3 different routers, in 3 different cities/apartments, with 3 different internet providers during the last years.

The internet connection I have in the last year is a super-fast Fiber (up to 1Gb/s).

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Hello everyone,

It's quite a while (2 years maybe) I have this issue with the Connect.

It suddenly stops playing music for few seconds while the other two Play-1 keep playing music normally. I use the system mostly with Spotify and Tune-in. I'm not sure if it happened also with Amazon Music. I've sent the diagnostic within few minutes from the last episode, this morning: 1154082524.

The setting is as follows:

Connect cabled to the router via ethernet (Living Room)

Play-1s in wifi to Connect (3-5 meters from each other)

The same issue happened when the Connect was connected via wifi to the router, with 3 different routers, in 3 different cities/apartments, with 3 different internet providers during the last years.

The internet connection I have in the last year is a super-fast Fiber (up to 1Gb/s).

Maybe the system diagnostic will show something for you, but have you ensured your wired ‘connect’ is at least 3 to 4 feet away from the router (or other wireless devices) - the further away, the better ...and check that the router and SonosNet channels are not the same, nor overlapping.

I would ensure the wireless channels are fixed and at least 5 channels apart ...and to help reduce interference set the routers 2.4Ghz band to a channel width of 20MHz. 

Maybe also try a different ethernet cable between the router and the ‘Connect’ ...just in case.

Thanks Ken for the very detailed info you've provided!

I've just set a manual channel on the 2.4Ghz WIFI (11) while left the SonosNet on channel 6. It was automatic channel setting previously and SonosNet never touched from 6.

My router doesn't allow any channel width setting.

The distance between Connect and Router has always been around 0.5m (less than 2 feet) as in the past when everything worked good as in the last years.

Unfortunately cannot be more far than that: place is small.

I would exclude any cable issues because I started using the cable since just 6 months, hoping to improve the situation, but I already experienced the same issue with wifi connection.

Thanks Ken for the very detailed info you've provided!

I've just set a manual channel on the 2.4Ghz WIFI (11) while left the SonosNet on channel 6. It was automatic channel setting previously and SonosNet never touched from 6.

My router doesn't allow any channel width setting.

The distance between Connect and Router has always been around 0.5m (less than 2 feet) as in the past when everything worked good as in the last years.

Unfortunately cannot be more far than that: place is small.

I would exclude any cable issues because I started using the cable since just 6 months, hoping to improve the situation, but I already experienced the same issue with wifi connection.

jack2m,
Ideally it would help if you could move the wired ‘Connect’ further away from the router… that ‘nearness’ might still not help, but perhaps let’s see how it goes.

The other thing is, if your devices used to run on your routers WiFi signal, then you need to ensure you remove any WiFi credentials that may still be stored in the Sonos App. These can be removed (if relevant) by going to "Settings/System/Network/Wireless Setup” and reset/remove the settings… 

NB: Your WiFi credentials are not required when running on SonosNet (with one Sonos device wired) and this will also prevent your devices hopping back and forth between SonosNet and the routers WiFi signal.

HTH.

Thanks again Ken.

In "Settings/System/Network/Wireless Setup” there's no wireless connection set.

What I cannot get is why the wired Connect has disconnections while both the Play-1s keep playing even if working wireless.

I would expect just the opposite.

Thanks again Ken.

In "Settings/System/Network/Wireless Setup” there's no wireless connection set.

What I cannot get is why the wired Connect has disconnections while both the Play-1s keep playing even if working wireless.

I would expect just the opposite.

Yes, I agree, perhaps pop along to this LINK and also have a chat with Sonos Support and mention your diagnostic report in your first post and see what they may have to say about the matter too.