Answered

Connect Sonos Move to Wifi at Vacation spot

• 19 January 2022
  • 2 replies

I have my Sonos Move connected to my home network but I would like to connect it to the wifi that i have set up in my Travel trailer. I can use Bluetooth but the range is much better using the wifi. Does the move recognize two wifi networks or does it have to be re set up every time it moves networks?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 19 January 2022, 02:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

It needs to be set up each time. But you could try fooling it by changing the SSID (network name) and password of your trailer WiFi to the same as your home’s WiFi.

Here’s another way to go about it, but it requires two mobile devices (eg: iPhone/iPad etc.) … one mobile operating as a ‘controller’ device with the Sonos App installed and one operating as a mobile WiFi hotspot.…

1. When at Home ‘A’ (eg: WiFi = HomeWiFi), add the Sonos Move, or Roam, to the mobile WiFi Hotspot (eg: WiFi = iPhone-WiFi) by adding the credentials to the current Sonos system via ‘Update Networks’ in the Sonos App Network settings - ‘Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks/Update Networks’ 
  2. Then transport Sonos Move/Roam to Home ‘B’ (WiFi = NewHome-WiFi) and connect the mobile controller (eg: an iPad/iPhone) and the Sonos speaker to the mobile Hotspot (WiFi = iPhone-WiFi).
  3. Next add the Home ‘B’ WiFi to the Sonos setup via ‘Update Networks’ and when complete switch mobile to the NewHome-WiFi ..and all will then work on Home ‘B’ WiFi.
  4. Rinse and repeat for any other WiFi networks that you come into contact with and want to add/use… 

The Move and Roam can store up-to 16 WiFi networks. Here is a screenshot (attached) from my own App showing several networks listed in its network settings.

Once added, the mobile controller and portable speakers will then switch between each Home network automatically whenever the WiFi signal is in range.