Connect runs hot. Improve the thermal characteristics of subsequent models.

• 26 December 2014
  • 10 replies

Connect runs pretty hot. Checked with IR monitor and it's kicking out 42 Degrees Centigrade when in normal operation. Airflow unobstructed and room at 24 Degrees. New SOC or thermal sink solution required?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi Robert,

I would like more information about your Sonos system, can you submit a diagnostic and reply with the confirmation number.
Here is a FAQ showing you how to submit a system diagnostic

Thanks
This is not an isolated incident. My Connect also runs hot. It is sitting in a well ventilated cabinet and is not even playing music and runs hot as well. It has "passive" cooling which appears to be pointless as when the box is not doing anything, it is still powered and heating up the room. I have submitted a diagnostic report as well. The devices require an actual standby function so they are not doing anything to heat up.
Did as requested, diagnostic submitted.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Robert, sorry for the misunderstanding. Once you have submitted the diagnostic can you reply to this posted with the confirmation number. The number will start with 4.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
This is not an isolated incident. My Connect also runs hot. It is sitting in a well ventilated cabinet and is not even playing music and runs hot as well. It has "passive" cooling which appears to be pointless as when the box is not doing anything, it is still powered and heating up the room. I have submitted a diagnostic report as well. The devices require an actual standby function so they are not doing anything to heat up.

Hi Decibel,

If you can do the same as my post above, and submit a diagnostic and reply with the confirmation number? Here is a FAQ showing you how to submit a system diagnostic 

As stated above, I have already submitted the diagnostics report (4270207). The reply I received was " are the vents on your connect clear, and does the air conditioning reach the connect". Wow what a great come back. I had already told them the unit sits on top of a cabinet in an air conditioned room running at 26degC. My amp sits in an enclosed cabinet and it still runs cooler under load than the connect when it is sitting doing nothing. The SONOS logo area is the area that is hot to touch....

My diagnostic number is 4274642.
I have since had a reply from their customer care:

"I can confirm all of our products have an idle state, and while idle, it will feel warm like a counter top would be after a hot bowl or plate was set on it much like a computer case will feel warm on the top or sides after being on."

They want the unit returned for in-house testing. There is a big difference between "warm like a computer case" and a SONOS logo on the top of the device is hot to touch. My problem is that the device is hot to touch on top when it is not even doing anything, but is supposed to be at idle....
Bringing this back from the dead.....

So has there been any more progress on this or is this just how the CONNECT was designed? I just recently purchased a CONNECT from Best Buy a few weeks ago and also noticed that it seemed to run hotter than one would expect. Using my IR Thermometer (doesn't everybody have one of these - 😉 ...) the CONNECT registered 92 deg F, with the hottest point being on the Sonos label on top of the CONNECT. This was when the CONNECT was in standby.

For what it is worth, I have my CONNECT connected to my 12" powered Velodyne subwoofer and it is sitting on top of the sub with maximum airflow (not inside of a cabinet). The sub was completely cool to the touch and even when the sub is in use, it is also cool to the touch so I know the sub is not adding any heat to the CONNECT.