Answered

Connect - Line-In / turntable disconnected

• 11 April 2021
  • 8 replies

Hi - I have a Connect from which I run (via an external pre-amp) a Rega Planar 1 turntable (linking in to a Playbar and 2 Play 1’s) using the S1 operating system.

After unplugging the turntable, pre-amp and Connect for some furniture moving last night and then reconnecting it all the turntable is now ‘disconnected’ and all options for it are ‘greyed out’. The Connect is still visible in the app, so seemingly working fine.

I’ve tried switching off all Sonos items and resetting the wifi.

I’ve checked all the connections and even tried a different RCA cable.

The only ‘success’ has been when I’ve unplugged the pre-amp and then plugged it back in. I get a second or two of music / connection, it flashes up on the app as ‘connected’ and then disappears again.

Any thoughts or advice would be gratefully received

icon

Best answer by trekkiep 14 April 2021, 20:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

Have you unplugged the Connect and turntable from power for about a minute? What preamp are you using?

Hi - thanks for your reply.

Have tried various combinations of ‘switching on and off’ with no success yet. Will try though. The preamp is a Rega one (Fono Mini A2D)

Hi GS

No joy I’m afraid - only success comes with switching the preamp on and off and then I get 2 seconds of glorious sound before it disappears again.

Any thoughts - thanks again :-)

There’s a mechanical contact that physically detects the presence of plugs in the Line-In jacks. Sometimes this can fail. You may get lucky with repeat removals/insertions. 

Personally I would try a careful application of switch cleaner fluid, but this could be tricky to administer. 

Userlevel 7

@trekkiep Do you have any other audio devices you could connect to the Connect’s RCA inputs just to test?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @trekkiep!

Are you still having this problem? I agree with @GuitarSuperstar - we need to figure out where the problem is coming from. If you can connect another device to the Connect and it behaves, I’d look at the pre-amp as being the problem.

If you get the same problem without using the pre-amp and turntable, try swapping the cable (if you haven’t already), just in case.

If it seems the Connect is at fault, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your device. A good test to do first is to connect the Connect’s output to it’s own input. Tell the Connect to play some music and tell your Playbar to play the Connect’s line-in. If you hear music uninterrupted from the Playbar, then the Connect is not at fault.

Hi - thanks for your help with this @Corry P @GuitarSuperstar @ratty 

In the end I reset the app and all the speakers and everything now works :-)

I appreciate the support from all on this forum though - I always know that I have somewhere to come if I need help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi - thanks for your help with this @Corry P @GuitarSuperstar @ratty 

In the end I reset the app and all the speakers and everything now works :-)

I appreciate the support from all on this forum though - I always know that I have somewhere to come if I need help.

This is commonly referred to as “over-kill”, but I’m glad you found a fix. For anyone else reading this, we always recommend getting in touch with technical support before resetting devices.