Connect doesn't play when grouped

• 9 April 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Greetings!

My system includes:

1 x Connect (ZP90) (connected to LAN via ethernet)

2 x Connect:Amp (ZP120)

All running S1 with the latest firmware and software.

Some time ago I start observing the following behaviour.

If I start playback on Connect it plays fine. Once I group Connect with a single or both Connect:Amps then Connect stops playing. If I ungroup Connect, then it continues normal playback. Anyway Connect:Amps play correctly if grouped.

The issue first appeared back in 2012 and then Sonos technical support suggested to go :1400/advconfig.htm and set FirstZP to Enabled and :1400/reboot. Currently the trick doesn’t do its job.

Any other ideas on how to overcome the issue?

Thank you.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @AKazak 

Thanks for posting! 

When grouping, is the group button pressed within the Connect’s box (in the Rooms tab of the app), or are you including the Connect in a group started with another room - as in do you select a ZP120 room before tapping the group icon?

Ideally, you’d want to do the former as this minimises the path that the music must take across the network.

Also, what is the source you are playing? Is it the same for all sources?

Badge +2

Hi @AKazak 

Thanks for posting! 

When grouping, is the group button pressed within the Connect’s box (in the Rooms tab of the app), or are you including the Connect in a group started with another room - as in do you select a ZP120 room before tapping the group icon?

Ideally, you’d want to do the former as this minimises the path that the music must take across the network.

Also, what is the source you are playing? Is it the same for all sources?

I use the Group button within the Connect’s box in the Rooms tab of the app.

The issue takes place if I play a TuneIn online radio station. So far I haven’t checked other audio sources.

Badge +2

By the way, factory reset (by holding the Mute button while connecting the power) of ZP90 hasn’t solved the issue...

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @AKazak 

When experiencing issues on Sonos, one of the the first steps to try is usually a reboot of your router - please switch your router off for at least 30 seconds. Please also switch off Sonos devices, and switch them on again when the internet comes back. If you have any WiFi boosters or extenders please turn these off too, and leave them off during troubleshooting.

Admittedly, it sounds like something else may be at work here, but it’s best to get the easy things out the way first.

If that doesn’t help, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and situation.

I also recommend you try out some other sources - see if the issue remains or not. I suspect it will.

Badge +2

Dear Corry.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I will follow your advice.