Answered

Connect - control volume of other speakers

• 26 December 2019
  • 5 replies

Hi all, I've just set up a connect for my parents who already have a pair of Ones in the front room. It's to make use of the input, for a cd player and record player. It's working ok including with autoplay but I've got a few issues:

1) occasional skips of the sound coming through the line in through the connect (I think it is a problem with Sonos as the cd player is brand new, but I will check with another music source plugged into the connect)

2) cd player sound is much quieter than sound from a Spotify/other source would be. Is there a way to bump up the line-in sound from the connect to save having to change volume significantly every time changing from one source to the other?

3) I have autoplay set up for playing the sound when the cd goes in which is neat and makes it feel like a real hi-fi. However, is there a way for the volume button on the connect to control the volume of the music going through it and out of the speakers? I currently have them set up in different 'rooms' although they are actually in the same room. Would I be able to do this if I could get them in the same Sonos room?

Many thanks in advance for any help?

icon

Best answer by jgatie 26 December 2019, 16:24

1. Either set the Line-In to “Compressed” or set the Line-In type to be “Airplay” (you can rename it after).
  2. In the Line-In settings, there is a input level.  Raise this to increase the volume on the Line-In source.
  3. Not possible, you would need to use the volume control on the Ones.
View original

5 replies

1. Either set the Line-In to “Compressed” or set the Line-In type to be “Airplay” (you can rename it after).
  2. In the Line-In settings, there is a input level.  Raise this to increase the volume on the Line-In source.
  3. Not possible, you would need to use the volume control on the Ones.

A question about point 1) - we have a WiFi mesh network with a lot of devices so could interference be the issue here? Would getting a SonosNet with one of the components connected to the router over Ethernet give superior performance?

A question about point 1) - we have a WiFi mesh network with a lot of devices so could interference be the issue here? Would getting a SonosNet with one of the components connected to the router over Ethernet give superior performance?

Yes, you should connect one to the main hub of your mesh WiFi.  Then change the Sonos to a different channel from your WiFi.  That will isolate Sonos from your WiFi, and could cure your skipping problem without having to use compression and/or increase the buffer.  

Great, thanks for the tips! Is there a guide for the steps to take to get the Sonos components talking to each other on the separate network? I haven't done it before and I can't see an option to do it on the app (I'm on Android)

Great, thanks for the tips! Is there a guide for the steps to take to get the Sonos components talking to each other on the separate network? I haven't done it before and I can't see an option to do it on the app (I'm on Android)

Switch Sonos between a wireless and wired setup

Changing the wireless channel in a wired Sonos setup