CONNECT and smart TV connection

smart tv connected to sonos CONNECT with digital optical line and sonos play:3 speakers are not playing tv sound. How do I get the play 3 speakers to read the tv and sonos CONNECT box?

11 replies

You may want to check your Connect. All of the ones I'm familiar with have an optical out, not an optical in.

If you have one of the normal Connects, you'd need to use RCA cables to connect to the Audio Input on the Connect.
Let's not confuse anyone. There are only 'normal' CONNECTs, with an optical output and a coax output.
we have tried the red and white RCA cables and the optical audio cable. Neither one seem to be working. the app shows that it is recognizing the "line-in" but there is no sound.
the optical audio cable is plugged into the "digital audio out (optical)" on our Samsung Smart TV and then plugged into the "digital audio optical" on the CONNECT. Am I missing a setting?
the sonos app does not recognize the line in to the CONNECT when we use the optical audio cable. It at least recognizes the line in when we use the RCA red and white cables plugged into the TV and CONNECT - but there is still no sound playing
I don't know how much clearer I could be. The CONNECT's optical jack is an output.

The only inputs on the CONNECT are the RCA red/white ones.

Line-In play doesn't start automatically (unless it's been configured to do so). It would need to be started from the menu.

If there's no sound coming through Sonos then the TV isn't sending an audio signal.
Ratty, forgive me for not understanding your clear response. I am not at all an audio technical expert. I asked this question seeking help because I don't understand how this works. We were simply following the instructions from the sales person at Best Buy who told us to connect the optical audio cable to the TV and the sonos CONNECT. There is only one jack to do so on each and when this didn't work, we looked for other solutions. We have the red and white audio cables connected to the TV and the sonos CONNECT and still do not have sound. I have gone to the sonos menu and asked it to play the line in and it shows it is playing on the app but there is no sound. Do you have any instructions you could give as to the setting on the TV that we need to change or a setting on the Sonos that needs to be changed?
martinteam wrote:

We were simply following the instructions from the sales person at Best Buy who told us to connect the optical audio cable to the TV and the sonos CONNECT.

I'm sorry to say so, but the Best Buy person doesn't know what they're talking about. It would be by no means the first time.

I have gone to the sonos menu and asked it to play the line in and it shows it is playing on the app but there is no sound.

Which 'room' is currently selected on the Sonos controller? You would need to select the PLAY:3s, then go to the menu and choose the Line-In from the CONNECT.
I have the two Play:3's and the CONNECT grouped together and have selected the LineIn to play. It shows the Line In is "playing" with the little "up an down moving sound bars" but there is no sound.
Ungroup them. In Connect room settings set the Autoplay Room to be the P3 room. Select to play the P3 room. Play something through the line in
Hi, I have a similar problem. Samsung Smart TV optical to Connect : Amp via a converter optical to RCA - no sound via Line in. Any luck with this ?

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings