Answered

Connect Amp no sound

Badge +1

Looks like one of my connect amps has bitten the dust. There is no sound coming from it. Been through the process with support and they said to mail it back and I’d get a 30% discount on a new product. With the price of the new amps ($899Can) that’s still a huge amount to replace. In the past, they would sell you a refurbished connect amp for approx $150. I’ve been a sonos customer for a very long time. Customer service isn’t what it used to be. 

Anyone have any ideas on what causes the no sound?  Is it repairable?

thanks!

icon

Best answer by John B 30 August 2022, 14:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

I feel your pain.  I don’t know that they’re repairable. I would check around on Ebay a little bit.  I’ve purchased a few older Connects on there for $75-$100 and synced them to my system.  Much cheaper than upgrading, given their prices.  But, buying their older technology comes with all sorts of problems……

I’ve been dealing with Sonos customer service regarding my connectivity issues and they haven’t been able to solve my problem either.  I have a blend of older speakers - all of which were very expensive!  

Play 5

(2) Play 3

(3) Play 1

(2) Connect

Connect:Amp

There are 9 “speakers” in total and I can hardly ever get them all to play at once without buffering, cutting out, or skipping songs.  I upgraded my router to a professional mesh system (3 placed throughout the house) and upgraded my Internet to fiber optic.  My home is 1,900 square feet and has 3(!) routers placed throughout it.  I find it very hard to believe that Internet is the problem.  And it is EVERY speaker that will cut out from time to time, including those that have nothing but a few feet of interference-free space between them. 

I’m very frustrated with Sonos because it seems the earlier you adopted and paid for their product, the more screwed you are.  I have Advent speakers from 1971 that are more reliable than Sonos.  I would love to upgrade my system to new technology but it seems that’d be a foolish idea. After all, the technology will be dated and slow in ~7 years. 

Hi @mike11292 .  Your problems are almost certainly network related, not Sonos (unless you are relying on a wired Bridge).  Your internet speed is effectively irrelevant.  Switching to a ‘professional mesh system’ would almost certainly have compounded the problem.

There is no need to upgrade your Sonos equipment and it would achieve nothing to do so (Bridge excepted).

As your post is not really relevant to the OP, perhaps you would like to start a new thread and then there will be people here happy to try to help you to a stable Sonos system.

@Northfarm  - I don’t know how old that Connect:Amp is, but it has probably been out of warranty many years and the product line was discontinued ages ago.  30% off a far more functional, powerful and generally superior product seems generous to me.  I think the answer from most companies would be “you’ll have to buy a new one”.

Hi @mike11292 .  Your problems are almost certainly network related, not Sonos (unless you are relying on a wired Bridge).  Your internet speed is effectively irrelevant.  Switching to a ‘professional mesh system’ would almost certainly have compounded the problem.

There is no need to upgrade your Sonos equipment and it would achieve nothing (Bridge excepted).

As your post is not really relevant to the OP, perhaps you would like to start a new thread and then there will be people here happy to try to help you to a stable Sonos system.

Thanks.  I’ll post elsewhere. It just seems so odd that my Play 5 is plugged in via an ethernet cord and still loses its connection.  How much more better of a connection can I get?  Have a hard time thinking Internet is the problem but clearly I’m not an expert. 

It’s good to know that upgrading my system won’t help. No need to waste my money on products that are unreliable. 

While you are here.. It isn’t the internet that is the issue, it’s your LAN (probably).

What is your Play:5 plugged into?  Does your mesh system include a router or do you use it in addition to another router?  In About My System, do your speakers / players have WM=0 or WM=1 next to them?

It just seems so odd that my Play 5 is plugged in via an ethernet cord and still loses its connection.  How much more better of a connection can I get?  

Well it depends on what it is wired to, whether the cable and ports are working properly, how it is getting an IP address...

Thank you @John B  My Play:5 is plugged into an Eero Pro 6.  The mesh system comes with three routers - only one of those is actually plugged into the modem.  The other two are placed in other areas in the home.  

I looked in About My System and the Play:5 has WM=0 next to it. The others speakers all have WM=1 next to them. 

Thank you @John B  My Play:5 is plugged into an Eero Pro 6.  The mesh system comes with three routers - only one of those is actually plugged into the modem.  The other two are placed in other areas in the home.  

I looked in About My System and the Play:5 has WM=0 next to it. The others speakers all have WM=1 next to them. 

That may be quite significant.  The other speakers should also have WM=0 (indicating connection to SonosNet rather than WiFi).  Is the Play:5 plugged into the Eero device that is connected to the modem?  Please try the following.

Power off all your Sonos ‘speakers’.  Leave the Play:5 powered off and disconnect it from Ethernet.

Move one of your Play:1 speakers temporarily and connect it by Ethernet to the Eero device wired to the modem.  Power it back on.  When it has powered up, power up your other Sonos speakers (except the Play:5).

Check again if WM=0 or WM=1.

Additional thought - on the Play:5, you hadn’t set it to ‘Disable Wifi’ had you?

When you wire the Play:1, leave it with ‘Enable Wifi’ checked in its settings

Badge +1

I get that the connect amp is an older product. I have one of the new amps and honestly, for the price and my needs it’s definitely not worth it. The connect amps were expensive in the day but the new ones are outrageous. Really don’t want to have fork out for another one even with 30%.  

BTW- trying to follow the return process to send back the broken amp and receive my 30%.  They can’t even seem to get that to work.  The process keeps producing an error.  They are supposedly looking into it.  

I get that the connect amp is an older product. I have one of the new amps and honestly, for the price and my needs it’s definitely not worth it. The connect amps were expensive in the day but the new ones are outrageous. Really don’t want to have fork out for another one even with 30%.  

BTW- trying to follow the return process to send back the broken amp and receive my 30%.  They can’t even seem to get that to work.  The process keeps producing an error.  They are supposedly looking into it.  

This is puzzling.  The upgrade program doesn’t require the old device to be returned.  At least it doesn’t in the UK, don’t know about Canada.

Badge +1

I guess it’s not upgrade as it’s S2 compatible? My only thought. He said I have to return, they check it and then the credit will get applied. I guess it’s all part of my frustration with Sonos. In the past, they would sell me a refurbed amp, send it, I’d put the broken one in the same box and ship it back. It was awesome. I did that twice and both times for an out of warranty amp. I used to brag to people about how amazing the service from Sonos was. I don’t anymore. 

OK that makes sense if it is S2 compatible - it wouldn’t have got as much as 30% if it were still functioning, as you obviously realise.  Yeah, I think in the circumstances they could just save you (and them) the hassle of returning the C:A.  I still think it’s a reasonable offer, and better than most companies would offer.  I hope you get it resolved quickly.