Question

Connect alone drops audio temporarily... paired with Play 3, not an issue.

Badge

Here’s a weird one. I have a Connect Gen 2 and a Play 3. Connect is wired to router, Play 3 is on wifi. 90% of the time I run music from a Plex server. 

When I play music on the Play 3 alone, or the Play 3 with the Connect added in after playback starts, all is well. When I play music on the Connect alone, or if I start the song on Connect and add in Play 3, I get periodic silence for a few seconds on the Connect. 

I’d read on a thread somewhere on here that having the Play 3 control the stream (adding Connect after) could mitigate the issue, and that seems to be the case. However, I’d like to fix the problem for real.

I’ve already played with using wifi on the Connect and switching wireless channels, but to no avail. I had this issue on the old app, and it is still happening with S2. Any suggestions?

14 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @davegram8.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I would like to know if this only happens with Plex music service or does this also happen with other music services? If not can we try other music services to check if this happens or not?

I would also like to recommend if we can check what happens when we group them both having the Connect as the group coordinator before playing music and another test would be the Play 3 as the group coordinator (testing from Plex and other music services) and see which setup produces the issue?

I would also like to recommend everytime the issue/delay is experienced, can we submit a diagnostic so we can do comparisons on the submitted diagnostics.

The more information we can gather and take note of, the more information we can check to see how can we fix this.

Thanks,

Badge

Good suggestions. I’ve already tested with the Connect as the group coordinator and starting with the group, and it’s still an issue with Plex. I’ve only had success when the Play 3 is the group coordinator. 

As for other apps, I’ll have to test it to say with certainty.  I’ll test a bunch of combinations this weekend, and I’ll be sure to submit diagnostics every time I encounter a problem. Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @davegram8.

Thanks for the feedback. Looking forward on the results and hopefully we’ll have a good and positive resolution on this.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Badge

Ok, testing now. Notes:
-Testing only Connect, could not replicate problem while playing back from Plex. Tested many songs and file types.

-With Connect starting track and then adding in Play 3 (to ensure Connect is controller), the Connect dropped out for about ten seconds while the Play 3 continued playing the track. I submitted a diagnostic.

-I’m testing playback though Tune-In Radio right now, but problem hasn’t occurred thus far. I will post again if it does.

Badge

-Played Tune-In for an hour, and listened through a record from Bandcamp. Neither triggered the issue. 

Badge

I spoke too soon… confirmed that it happens with other apps as well. While streaming from Bandcamp, the Connect cut out for about 8 seconds while the Play 3 continued playing the song. Then the Connect came back on.

I submitted a second diagnostics report moments later (conf #97720391).

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @davegram8XFsW0DyfY6kq1cf7XVkxrEjp3bpYMfDjvKcd1EV7GFfhL5UsOPaWtF4A9RFhlgXh5PprIVNhe4F_-QsKala1qxS_nOg5h0wO1tIcpDxFeMQhNJl3bBoYifzRl7qe47lYO51bZtk4.

Thanks for the detailed response. I appreciate it.

I would like to share with you the details of the diagnostic submitted.

• Based on the provided and submitted diagnostic, it showed a great amount of wireless interference.

• The diagnostic also shows wireless channel to Channel #1. There is a possibility that the channel where your Wifi network and Sonos is congested.

• You may also want to consider doing a network clean-up by rebooting (unplugging the device from power and plugging it back into power after 10-15 secs)  the router first. After the router is done rebooting and internet connected has been restored, Please reboot the Sonos device connected to the router via ethernet cable. Once the Sonos device goes to a solid white light, reboot the next sonos device wirelessly connected.

Please let me know how this goes.

Thanks,

Badge

Great, I will follow all of these steps. I had played with different router channels in the past, but it’s worth another shot.

The Connect is connected via Ethernet to the router. Do I need the Wi-Fi on, or can I Disable Wi-Fi? Would that help?

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @davegram8.

I would suggest leaving the WiFi option on the Sonos App to be left enabled for it to broadcast Sonos Wifi.

I would also like to suggest with you before trying to change WiFi channel on router and Sonos Net channel on the Sonos app, Try rebooting your router first (unplug it from power and plug it back after 10-15 secs), then once internet connection is restored, reboot the Sonos device connected to the router via ethernet cable. Once the Sonos device goes to a solid white light status, reboot the next Sonos device wirelessly connected and then check if the issue re-occurs.

Please let me know how it goes. 

Thanks,

Badge

I’ve tried all of the above fixes, but to no avail.

Previously, the SonosNet was set to Channel 1. I moved it to 11.

I had my 2.4ghz wifi band set to automatic previously. I set it to channel 6.

Then did all resetting and power cycling described above. I also moved my Connect as far from other wifi devices as I could.

That said, the sound still cut out. I submitted another diagnostic report… curious what I should try next. Different combinations of channels on the SonosNet and 2.4ghz wifi band?

Badge

I’ve gone ahead and tinkered some more… I see that my Philips Hue bridge is on channel 11. I’ve now put SonosNet on Channel 1, 2.4ghz wifi on channel 6, and Philips Hue bridge on channel 11. Still an issue. Not sure what to do next.

Badge

I also don’t understand how wifi interference would affect the Connect… if it’s connected via ethernet and sending a signal along to the Play 3, wouldn’t interference in a frequency range impact the SonosNet signal between the Connect and Play 3? The Play 3 never breaks connection.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @davegram8.

Thank you for the detailed and immediate response. Thanks as well for submitting another diagnostic.

I would like to share with you the details indicated on the diagnostic submitted.

Based on the diagnostic, It shows numerous documented audio dropouts, audio playback failures, and audio communication failures.

I would like also to give clarification when you mentioned about your Sonos Connect being connected via ethernet cable and yet it shows wireless interference. The Sonos Connect is communicating to the router via ethernet cable however, since we have connected a Sonos device to a router via ethernet cable, it also generates Sonos WiFi (Sonos Net) exclusive for Sonos devices and your mobile phone (Sonos app controller) also communicates to the Sonos Connect wirelessly which can be affected by wireless interference. 

I would recommend calling  our customer service phone support for some more in-dept troubleshooting steps or a possible remote screen sharing session to better understand the situation and the issue. They are open Mondays through Fridays from 10:00 AM to 10:00PM EST.

Please let us know if you still have further issues or concerns.

Thanks,

Badge

Ok, I’ll get right on it. Thank you for your help and your patience.