Answered

Computer is not Responding (Music Library

• 18 April 2021
  • 2 replies

Hello,

I have a Play:5 (Gen 2), and I use it to steam audio from a folder on my PC. Everything worked fine until a few weeks ago, but today I have not been able to access the media library on the PC. I just keep getting the error message: The Computer ‘PC Name’ is not responding. Nothing has changed on my PC (unless some Windows update has altered certain things). The same files on my PC are available to other devices, and I have double checked that sharing is switched on, both for the files, and specifically for Sonos being in the allowed list of streaming devices.

I use the mobile app to control the speaker, but today I decided to install the Sonos controller on my PC, but I’m having the same issue, even on there. I’ve been through all the help pages, and I have ensured that both the controller and library service are ‘allowed apps’ in the Windows firewall. I also tried switching the firewall off completely, but no change. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, reconnecting the speaker through the app, and removing and readding the shared music folder. Actually I cannot add the folder any more, because I get the same error message.

It cannot be a firewall issue, because I have tried turning that off. It cannot be a sharing issue, as I have tried different folders, and other streaming devices are able to access the same files. I actually tried making up a folder name, to see if I could get a different error message, but I didn’t. So, it is to do with the app not being able to contact the PC. But surely the Windows version of the Sonos controller should work? I mean it is installed on the same PC where the files are, but I still get the ‘not responding’ message. I really cannot figure out how to fix this, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by ratty 18 April 2021, 15:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

What version of Windows is it? Is the local network interface set to ‘Private’?

By default Win10 now disables SMBv1, though it can be re-enabled. The Sonos desktop controller therefore also installs an HTTP service for Sonos to fetch the files instead.

I would suggest you remove the library folder(s) from Sonos (if not already removed). Remove and reinstall the Sonos desktop controller, then attempt to add the music folders to the system using that.

Hi Ratty,

Thanks for helping, I really appreciate it. SMBv1 was switched off, so I enabled it, and now the Sonos app works again!  I’ve spent all day trying to fix this!!!

Thanks again!