Question

Clicking noise from Play 3s as surrounds

• 3 August 2020
  • 2 replies

Hey there -

in the last couple of weeks, our Play 3s, which are acting as surrounds, have started making a clicking sound. It’s not the sound of a blown speaker and it’s both of them. There’s no pattern to the clicking / cracking sound and kind of sounds like electricity.

The Play 3s are part of a 5.1 setup - Playbar, sub and two Play 3s.

They never used to do this and the problem only started as I said in two weeks. It happens with Netflix, normal TV, Plex etc but all running from the TV. It’s a Samsung RU7400 and while it’s happening right now as I write this, the TV is set to HE-ACC v12.0 and we haven’t changed this at all.

I’s submitted diagnostics with reference: 73071211.

2 replies

Also just tested with music (Spotify) and realised the same thing is happening, so that rules out the TV. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @JStewNZ, Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community. Thanks for bringing this up and we understand where you're coming. I appreciate you taking the time to submit the diagnostic report. upon checking the diagnostic report, All is good with it. Regarding the clicking sound issue on the Play 3’s, I’ll ask some questions to check further.

• When did the issue start happening and are there any changes made on the settings on the Sonos App?
  • Have you tried to unplug and replug the speaker from the power source for 1-2 minutes?
  • Is it both clicking and crackling sound happening on both Play 3’s at the same time or 1 at a time?

If this won’t work. I'll ask you to kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance and more in-depth troubleshooting steps.  They might be asking for a video when the issue is happening. 

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.